Up to 20k budget, M240i or TTS ?

Soldato
As title, looking for something with a decent amount of power, but keeping reasonable running costs and these 2 are my personal favourite choices. Which one would you go for and why ?
Obviously I will test drive both, but interested in your thoughts. :)

The TT is a bit bland as sports cars go.

But the BMW is ugly. Hard choices:/

Last edited:
What? No it isn't, it's a really nice looking small coupe. Probably one of their best efforts.

Best effort, but like all the BMWs made in the past 20 years, it looks like every part of the car was made by a different designer.

I saw a 240 the other day and thought it looked quite special. Definitely stands out. That'd be my choice.

Looks are subjective, I like the look of both ( I am talking Mk3 TT-S, not so keen on the earlier ones). Yes a TT has a rep for a certain demographic and possibly underrated for that reason. Likewise not all BMWs float my boat, but the 2 (and 4 series) I do like the look of.
Out of interest, For those that are stating bland/boring, what alternatives would you choose ?

Drive both, buy the one you prefer. BMW will be more of a driver's car and can carry rear passengers who have heads and legs. If you want to be able to go fast in all conditions, get the TTS with Quattro. Don't think the F22 M240 was available with xDrive in the UK?

Last edited:
Drive both, buy the one you prefer. BMW will be more of a driver's car and can carry rear passengers who have heads and legs. If you want to be able to go fast in all conditions, get the TTS with Quattro. Don't think the F22 M240 was available with xDrive in the UK?

The real answer IMO.

Personally prefer the DSG in the Audi compared to the ZF8 but I’d rather have the driving dynamics and engine of the BMW.

The real answer IMO.

Personally prefer the DSG in the Audi compared to the ZF8 but I’d rather have the driving dynamics and engine of the BMW.
Maybe an S5, kind of a larger lovechild of both :D (but I believe it has a ZF box ?)

Yes I think I need to get some test drives done, I'll start with the BMW I think, already pretty familiar with VAG cars and especially EA888's on DSG's.

As title, looking for something with a decent amount of power, but keeping reasonable running costs and these 2 are my personal favourite choices. Which one would you go for and why ?
Obviously I will test drive both, but interested in your thoughts. :)

Is this to drive on a hyperspace bypass…?

already pretty familiar with VAG cars and especially EA888's on DSG's.

If you've already done EA888+DSG in something else, I think the M240i, particularly due to the engine, is far more likely to feel like a different experience, whereas the TTS might feel a bit too familiar, even if it's a different body type to your previous experience.

Maybe an S5, kind of a larger lovechild of both :D (but I believe it has a ZF box ?)

Yes I think I need to get some test drives done, I'll start with the BMW I think, already pretty familiar with VAG cars and especially EA888's on DSG's.

I’ve had an S5 and I just didn’t find it a great car. It was average at everything and not really great at anything. Though I did absolutely adore the looks.

And the facelift is a diesel - a 330d would be a better car.

I’ve heard good things about xHP tuning for the ZF8, so the 240i with a stage 1 TCU tune might be your best bet.

Definitely worth a drive though.

I'd take a s3 sportback over the tts...at least semi practical. fast, light and agile, but predictable..but then have kids too, so being planted and grips like no tomorrow is ok. Drove the m240i , loved it. more fun to drive, but could also spin the wheles easily and more likely to end in a ditch on a greasy day

Back
Top Bottom