Up to 20k budget, M240i or TTS ?

Is this to drive on a hyperspace bypass…?
:p:D
If you've already done EA888+DSG in something else, I think the M240i, particularly due to the engine, is far more likely to feel like a different experience, whereas the TTS might feel a bit too familiar, even if it's a different body type to your previous experience.
True, and I have rarely been disappointed in them, but I think 6 cylinders is calling be it VAG or BMW
I'd take a s3 sportback over the tts...at least semi practical. fast, light and agile, but predictable..but then have kids too, so being planted and grips like no tomorrow is ok. Drove the m240i , loved it. more fun to drive, but could also spin the wheles easily and more likely to end in a ditch on a greasy day
TBH seating practicality isnt a concern, The wife has the family car. in fact I have now mandated whatever I get only has 2 doors ;) but I had heard the M240 could be a little spirited stock in the wet.

the 2021/2 model I am not a fan of, but the 2015-21 (the one in my price range), looks good IMO.

Last edited:
They look so similar that non car people probably wouldn't even realise they're different models.
It's virtually identical :confused:
Nooooo, M2 is the sexy curvy latina and M240i is the flat chested girl next door. You'll have fun with both, but which would you choose? The visual appeal is miles apart, if you can't see it, time to book an appointment at spec savers. :D

I moved from a TTS manual (older one) to a M140i auto.

Looks - subjective, but the Audi has the better interior

Engine - the BMW all day long, get much better performance and economy out the b58, never have to wring it like I did the TTS

Usability - it its damn/col you will see a lot of the traction control light in the BMW, TTS is much more of a floor it and go care. Both pretty comfortable but the ride was better on the Audi Magtronic dampeners

Enjoyment - BMW, even with the auto box the drive is more involving when on country roads, it won't catch you out unless your really pushing it

Hi All, many thanks for all the input :)

Yes, I also considered a 370Z and a Boxster. I soon ruled out the 370Z due to over £700 VED a year, and sub 25 mpg.
The Boxster had me thinking for a while, but in the end I couldn't get past the price for a real nice one given the age.

So I went for what some will call the boring choice, a 23k miles, 1 owner, 4 year old 240i with a few options, most of which I would have swapped for something different :p

The car has been calling since the first time I looked at it nearly 2 weeks ago, but it was out of budget.

I went back a couple of days ago for a second more detailed look and drive, and did the deal. I should pick it up in a few days all being well.

Yep, I don't like the look of the new one too much.
Does anyone know a good UK BMW forum, I found bimmerforums.co.uk but it seems a bit quiet ?

For anyone else looking here is my take on the TT... although the op has gone the way of the BMW :P

Ive had a 3rd gen TTS quattro since december and to be fair i cant fault it. I'm a single man with no kids and the occasional passenger, its certainly NOT for anyone who needs to use the back seats for humans.

Its a nice solid predictable drive and yes its not a "drivers" car but even when pushed to 100mph+ it feels planted and safe. I live near Buxton in the peak district and when thrown around the silly roads even in the wet it grips like a high class call girl! on the sharp bends you feel like your guts will give in before the tires will. There is practically no body roll and the response is instant.

The steering is a little squishy, but i honestly dont agree with some reviewers who say all sorts of tripe about it being totally disconnected from the road... it feels great to me? Then again i have never driven on a track.

As someone said before its a push and go car, it never feels like its going to throw you in a ditch unlike most BMWs i have driven, so it depends what you want really.

I have driven a GT86 and that was honestly a lot of fun but did feel like it wanted to kill you on country lanes.

As for looks i think they look great, mine is white and to be honest I really don't know why the hairdresser thing is still going after the mk1... the modern TT is no mx5.

I have an aftermarket intake and a remap so its noiser than most, and you do get some heads turning... its not an ugly car, far from it...

Ive had zero issues and its actually very practical on a day to day basis and the boot is suprisingly large if you fold the seats down.

The only niggle i have is that if its been, or is, raining heavily and you open the boot it WILL dump lots of water on the contents of the boot from the sides... the water kind of hugs the boot lids and flows around to the underside and drips down.

Fuel wise don't be taken in by the figures.... its a lie.... with a TTS you can expect usual consumption of around 25mpg.... that's just usual around town in normal mode. On a long motorway cruise in eco mode with cruise control on you might see 45mpg. Hooning about in sport mode and driving like you stole it... sub 20mpg.

Last edited:
I've a mk 2 tts auto. Lots of pros and lots of cons. Ultimately its not a car for true drivers. I'm someone who wants to put his foot down now and then without having to try too hard. It works in all weathers, the mpg is not terrible and I think it looks good. On the whole it's been pretty reliable engine wise.

Main downsides - 0 space for more than 1 passenger. There's quite a few small bits and pieces which will go wrong (amp, window mechanisms, tail light issues). Not particularly tunable, if that's your thing

Now that the tt is end of life, it might hold its value very well for resale

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom