Upcoming FreeSync monitors

That now sounds a bit rubbish after watching the link, freesync only works between a certain fps outside of this its back to v-sync and poor input lag, so much for the g sync killer....., he does say it's not a freesync requirement but its still there on all 3 screens so must be a reason why?

He quite specifically points out in the video this is NOT a freesync or AMD limitation but specifically down to those panels and what the controllers(or could simply be down to the willingness of a company to get it working) are capable of.

The BenQ supports down to 30hz which is all g-sync does, the other panels support a smaller window for whatever that reason is but it's 60hz max because those are 60hz panels.

On reading more it is panel related, which I did state it is not a freesync requirement, its possibly an IPS issue, mainly the 40 to 60 fps window seems tight on the wide screen monitor.

im with you on that, Philips did change that recently, I hope it sells good and there is more of them, nice to see a 40inch display with displayport, I thought it would never happen when you see 4k TV's still with scart

with all the windows scaling issues I don't feel like squinting to see stuff
oled TV's finally coming down in price and interesting stuff like QD
I want to see displayport on all that not just hdmi2 ><

i want away from tn/va i want the next tech as soon as possible on pc

[rant]
I would like to comment on the Philips-part: I don't know how they handle computer monitor support, but I've had VERY BAD experience with their HDTV support. And from the looks of it, I'm considered as one of the lucky ones, as my issue is mainly with the color banding, rest of the TV is still in essence a working unit. Some people are practically out of a working unit (they only get blank screen), and fixing it themselves (by downgrading the firmware) would void the warranty. And from the looks of it, this is precisely what Philips is trying to achieve by not fixing the widely known bugs. Previously I was very happy with one of their old CRT monitors. But that was because I never had to deal with their support department. With their current support, they're actually making things worse all the time. And for some reason they refuse to go back to the working firmware iterations... (hmm, I made a review of my unit at some point, maybe I should make an update on it)
In summary: for the time being, I would recommend to stay away from Philips in its entirety. Same goes for TP Vision, which is directly linked to their TV sector.
[/rant]

As for scaling issues: yes, that's one of the reasons I refuse to go above 1080p. And why the scaling issues aren't being looked at by the manufacturers or OS providers, I have no idea.

As for people talking about V-sync:
One thing now started to trouble me, with both G-sync and FreeSync:
if the V-sync is ON (within the specified range, 30-144Hz, for example), does it also cause the usual input lag associated with V-sync, or does the variable timing mitigate this? Or is the V-sync only a backup plan solely for out-of-range situations? From the linked video (from around 2:20 onwards), and frankly it was a little mixed message, but I got the notion that enabling the V-sync did affect the image/motion, even inside the specified fps range. Did I misunderstand that part or something?

He quite specifically points out in the video this is NOT a freesync or AMD limitation but specifically down to those panels and what the controllers(or could simply be down to the willingness of a company to get it working) are capable of.

The BenQ supports down to 30hz which is all g-sync does, the other panels support a smaller window for whatever that reason is but it's 60hz max because those are 60hz panels.

Hmm, I wonder whether manufacturers and retailers will start to advertise the functional range, or is that something that the customers have to find out by themselves from reviews, like we currently have to do with regards to input lag, PWM, etc.

As for the ranges in general:
I was hoping we could get stutter-free 24fps and 25fps videos, without the need to manually change the refresh rate.
(not sure if 24Hz and 25Hz are actually even available with computer monitors, but it's possible with HDTVs connected to computers, at least)

As for refresh rate operating ranges, I agree it would be nice for 24Hz/24fps to be automatically selected for movie content. This would require, assuming it's the same as G-SYNC, the application was in exclusive full-screen mode. A few users have asked me about this and seem interested, which is understandable.

As for gaming, I don't see a big issue with the 40Hz floor myself. Regardless of the technology, such low frame rates don't feel 'smooth'. Yes it can be a bonus ridding them of stuttering or tearing (especially the latter, which I can't abide) but I personally found that running G-SYNC was little consolation at such frame rates. The fluidity was simply poor regardless. Having said that it isn't like there's a hard floor with how the frame rate 'feels' and looks, with it suddenly becoming intolerable below 40fps regardless of the variable refresh technology. It would be nice for those little dips to say 37-38fps which can occur (especially at 4K) to be free from stuttering and tearing, even if the effect of the variable refresh rate technology would be less noticeable.

Last edited:
As for people talking about V-sync:
One thing now started to trouble me, with both G-sync and FreeSync:
if the V-sync is ON (within the specified range, 30-144Hz, for example), does it also cause the usual input lag associated with V-sync, or does the variable timing mitigate this? Or is the V-sync only a backup plan solely for out-of-range situations?

With the swift as long as I limit the framerate of the game to under the mhz of the panel (i.e. fps under 144 using 144hz) then it doesn't give me that laggy v-sync feeling, otherwise it does feel exactly like v-sync. If i'm using a game that easily reaches that (black ops 2 mainly) then I tend to use ulmb @120hz with g-sync and v-sync off.

Even if it is £500, that's a ridiculously good price.

I'd be very surprised to see it at £500 though.

I wouldn't be shocked to see it for £500.

The swift follows a similar conversion.

$800 without tax. So £529 + tax = £626. It's £650 over here.

So it's basically US price + tax + a roundup/small premium. Same company, so wouldn't shock me to see the same.

Even if it is £500, that's a ridiculously good price.

I'd be very surprised to see it at £500 though.

Yeah when you consider the price of the ROG Swift £500 almost seems like a bargin.... almost. Hopefully if that is accurate then we'll start seeing some better prices across the board from the wider availability of G-Sync/FreeSync monitors and of 120/144Hz 1440p panels. The next few months are looking to be pretty exciting in the world of monitors :)

I wouldn't be shocked to see it for £500.

The swift follows a similar conversion.

$800 without tax. So £529 + tax = £626. It's £650 over here.

So it's basically US price + tax + a roundup/small premium. Same company, so wouldn't shock me to see the same.

You still pay TAX in the US. Usually its 10-12% depending on the state.

You still pay TAX in the US. Usually its 10-12% depending on the state.

I know, and because of that, the US prices are listed without tax.

So the $800 for the swift, is before tax. So I'm not sure what your point is?

Just saying UK price of the swift is just the US base price + our tax rate + a small mark up, so wouldn't be shocked to see the same for this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom