Update: building and upgrading pc

Associate
so i had a budget of £2,000 to build my first pc, but things have changed and am now looking at around £1,400. i still need advice on the best for the budget and am willing to upgrade parts as i go along the journey. if someone could suggest all of the parts id need while staying in the budget would be greatly appreciated.

Does this include monitor, etc or just the base unit?
From the OP's other post, I think just the base unit and it will be used for games like GTA, but I don't know what resolution the existing monitor is, or if a Windows license is required.

Intel/nvidia option.

If you plan to go this route: the 14th gen non-K CPUs and 4070 Super are due soon, which might (or might not) hit performance and pricing of this spec.

I don't know if you need wireless, but the board includes it (AX in Gigabyte means wireless).

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,382.86 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

£230 (incl. VAT)
£200 (incl. VAT)
£135 (incl. VAT)
£110 (incl. VAT)
£120 (incl. VAT)
£108 (incl. VAT)
£39 (incl. VAT)
£30 (incl. VAT)
From the OP's other post, I think just the base unit and it will be used for games like GTA, but I don't know what resolution the existing monitor is, or if a Windows license is required.

Intel/nvidia option.

If you plan to go this route: the 14th gen non-K CPUs and 4070 Super are due soon, which might (or might not) hit performance and pricing of this spec.

I don't know if you need wireless, but the board includes it (AX in Gigabyte means wireless).

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,382.86 (includes delivery: £7.99)​
so would this be everything i would need? and would this run smoothly at first. i could probably get my first upgrade in february as money isnt the most this month. thanks very much for your help

£230 (incl. VAT)
£200 (incl. VAT)
£135 (incl. VAT)
£110 (incl. VAT)
£120 (incl. VAT)
£108 (incl. VAT)
£39 (incl. VAT)
£30 (incl. VAT)
Last edited:
so would this be everything i would need?
Yes, there's another CPU cooler in the box, but I chose a better one. You can drop it, if you don't mind a little noise.

The 13400 includes graphics inside it, which allows you to use the motherboard display outputs. If you want to save money, you can downgrade to the 13400F, but you will then rely on the 4070 graphics card.

You will need to create a USB flash drive with Windows on it (you can do this from the Microsoft website), but a key will be included in the package.

would this run smoothly at first
It is intended for 1080p, or 1440p gaming at high/ultra settings (should meet or exceed 60 fps), though you may have to turn them down if the game includes ray tracing. Newer games may also need DLSS enabled to achieve high frame rates.

i could probably get my first upgrade in february
I would expect it to last 3-4 years with no upgrades. Beyond that, you'd have to start turning the settings down, which is pretty standard.

Last edited:
Yes, there's another CPU cooler in the box, but I chose a better one. You can drop it, if you don't mind a little noise.

The 13400 includes graphics inside it, which allows you to use the motherboard display outputs. If you want to save money, you can downgrade to the 13400F, but you will then rely on the 4070 graphics card.

You will need to create a USB flash drive with Windows on it (you can do this from the Microsoft website), but a key will be included in the package.

It is intended for 1080p, or 1440p gaming at high/ultra settings (should meet or exceed 60 fps), though you may have to turn them down if the game includes ray tracing. Newer games may also need DLSS enabled to achieve high frame rates.

I would expect it to last 3-4 years with no upgrades. Beyond that, you'd have to start turning the settings down, which is pretty standard.
i appreciate this a ton. you have explained everything very well and am glad you found my post. i get paid friday so will be ordering everything then, ill let you know how the build goes at weekend mate! enjoy the rest of your week

hi tetras, i am about to order all of the parts but the pc case and state drive are pre order. would you mind finding me alternatives for the both of them. it would be greatly appreciated

hi tetras, i am about to order all of the parts but the pc case and state drive are pre order. would you mind finding me alternatives for the both of them. it would be greatly appreciated
The case in my build is in stock, do you mean the MSI case in mickyflinn's build?

Prices for SSDs are climbing rapidly I'm afraid, but for high-end SSDs:

Kioxia Exceria Pro 2TB is £125
MSI M480 Pro 2TB is £126

this is the build ive gone for, is this not yours? minus the state drive and the case but i added the first drive you just recommended

oh i do apologise, thats why i kept venturing out to you for help! sorry for all of the trouble i just want to make sure i get everything right!
It is all good, I'd happily recommend a case, but mickyflinn is more into cases and cooling than I am and my usual "goto" choices are out of stock.

These don't look bad for the money, if you don't mind possible returns/used (they are b-grade):

Last edited:
i will get that ordered now then, i replaced the drive with the kioxia so both the case and drive have been replaced, comes tomorrow so ill update you on the build tomorrow! thanks a lot mate

It is all good, I'd happily recommend a case, but mickyflinn is more into cases and cooling than I am and my usual "goto" choices are out of stock.

These don't look bad for the money, if you don't mind possible returns/used (they are b-grade):
im currently building the pc and the cpu cooler bracket doesnt fit with the backplate? is this something i should worry about?

im currently building the pc and the cpu cooler bracket doesnt fit with the backplate? is this something i should worry about?
@mickyflinn can you advise on the CPU cooler?

OP: usually the manual will tell you what to use for your chosen socket. I don't know anything about this cooler, but it might have a mounting mechanism that is different, depending on the socket.

Some coolers also require you to remove the preinstalled mounting pillars, while others attach to them, or screw into the backplate.

Last edited:
the manual didnt talk about the bracket, on every video ive seen there are pre existing holes which you can just slot the bracket into. but in this case there are no holes whatsoever that surround the backplate.
@mickyflinn can you advise on the CPU cooler?

OP: usually the manual will tell you what to use for your chosen socket. I don't know anything about this cooler, but it might have a mounting mechanism that is different, depending on the socket.

Some coolers also require you to remove the preinstalled mounting pillars, while others attach to them, or screw into the backplate

Back
Top Bottom