updating PC a bit, PSU, CPU fan

Associate
I'm after a good quality low power PSU to reaplce my elecy draining "pretty" one!.

At the moment I'm running 550w and don't think i need that much for a purely surfing PC.

Was looking at the 360W Zalman model, any good?

Also looking at changing my bog stand cpu cooler for something a touch better, I'm running a Anthon AMD 2400 chip.

Budget is around 100 for both, preferable less.

Thanks Paul.

Man of Honour
You don't specify your CPU fully but I'm assuming it is socket A? If so you don't have too much choice left in replacement options, the AkasaAK-827 Ultra Quiet Copper Base CPU Cooler seems pretty cheap and fairly quiet if the figures are correct.

For the PSU I might suggest an FSP 400w Blue Storm if you want to downgrade and between both components it only uses about half your budget :)

Soldato
Just because your PSU 'CAN' supply your PC with 550W, doesnt mean its pulling that from the mains all the time.

A PSU will always pull slightly more AC power, than your PC's requirements in DC power. The difference is the 'efficiency' of your PSU.

Seasonic make some of the most efficient PSU's with over 80% average efficiency over a very wide range of power levels.

That said, unless you have a Q-Tec, your current PSU probably isnt that bad. And it will probably cost you more money to change the PSU than you would save in electric/running costs.

Associate
Corasik said:
And it will probably cost you more money to change the PSU than you would save in electric/running costs.

I agree, stick with the PSU you have, and as for cpu cooler
Akasa AK-827BL Copper Based CPU Cooler Blue LED Fan (Socket A) (HS-016-AK)
I had one of those on my SKTA XP2500 and i could run it at 2.4GHz all day long at around 40c

Soldato
Thermaltake Sonic Tower 4-in-1 Noiseless Heatpipe (Socket 939/754/775/478) CPU Cooler (CL-P0071) (HS-009-TT)
Price: £19.95 (£23.44 Including VAT at 17.5%)

As people have said unless it is a Q-Tec don't bother changing the PSU.

Soldato
semi-pro waster said:
Does that fit Socket A? If not then I don't think it will fit without a bit of a bodge job :)

Website says K7 upto athlon xp 3400+ so it must do

Edit: I believe it needs mounting holes around the socket in order to fit

Last edited:
Soldato
If its noise is annoying, then thats a fair enough reason to change. I've got a Zalman 400, and its fairly quite, but its 12v rail is fairly low amps. I wouldnt recommend the even weaker 360.

I would suggest looking at the Seasonic 430w though. Its even quieter than the zalman ( a friend has one ), and its got a much better 12V supply.

Associate
OP
Thanks for that, sounds good from the blurb and if it's silent, thats good enough for me!

Just bought another stick of RAM to go in , I think i'll leave the CPU cooler for now, as i remeber I paid 35 odd for it last time so must be a bit better than a bog standard one i thought it was.

Only other thing I might want to change iso the graphics card, it's just a cheap MX-440. PC isn't used for gaming but I'm editing pitures quite a lot so would changing the graphics card improve picture quality on monitor? Monitors a Samsung SyncMaster 710v 17" TFT.

Thanks again.

Man of Honour
It wouldn't necessarily improve picture quality but some people(subjectively) think that ATI graphics cards offer a nicer picture or better picture quality. The main benefit to upgrading would be that it would probably be a bit faster for refreshing the screen etc, maybe look to a Radeon 9500 series card or higher, you should be able to pick them up in AGP form pretty cheaply now, maybe a Radeon 9500 128mb from here might be worth a look.

Associate
OP
Thought I would update..

I got al the bits through other day..was like x-mas had come early :D

But very impressed with all of it, the Seasonic PSU is very quiet, I like the extra bit it comes with for case fan control and the molex plugs are soooo easy to take off with the little clips.

the Graphics card I'm having troubles installing drivers at the moment, but need to wait until I format to do all of that which I'm also having troubles with (post in windows software...HELP!)

Stick of ram working nicely, easily noticing the increase in speed.

Thanks all for your help.

Back
Top Bottom