Upgrade after 6 years (help me make the right choice or better it)

Soldato
Ya you might want to consider a 12 or 16 core threadripper. That workstation you have at work has 16 threads. If you buy a mainstream i7 now, you'll get 8 threads, and if you buy one at the end of October you'll get one with 12 threads. Threadripper offers up to 32 threads at prices that destroy Intel equivalents, and lower power draw too.

I'm just not sure a 6 core i7 is going to cut it for you. Certainly it'll be better than your current i7, but with the kind of work you do you could get so much more performance.

If you mostly gamed and farted around in CAD on the side, then ya get the i7... but if you do it for your actual career... not so sure.

Or he could just go with an 8 core Ryzen r7 seeing as his work pc is 8 core. Of course he can go for Thread Ripper but it is going to mean cutting down in other areas such as the gpu/monitor etc.

Associate
Or he could just go with an 8 core Ryzen r7 seeing as his work pc is 8 core. Of course he can go for Thread Ripper but it is going to mean cutting down in other areas such as the gpu/monitor etc.

He has no budget, dude.
Yes a Ryzen 8 core would do, but then his machine wouldn't be terribly more powerful than his work machine, where as with a threadripper... perhaps double the perf?

Associate
OP
He has no budget, dude.
Yes a Ryzen 8 core would do, but then his machine wouldn't be terribly more powerful than his work machine, where as with a threadripper... perhaps double the perf?

Sorry my mistake for possibly being misleading was not intended.
Almost all my work is done on location. This is aircraft design so digital mock-up (DMU) can be massive.
I occasionally might need to work on a small assembly or single part at home. I also would not be running multiple Microsoft office programs or WebEx meetings that would require a workstation like I do in work. Farting around would sum it up.

Sorry my fault if I was being misleading.

Don't get much time to write much in work on here but like to reply to people so they don't think they are wasting there time.

Can't reply to all replies but all are to everyone not just who I quote.

Remember I'm near 50 :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Go with the 6 core i7 then

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I will resurrect this thread come the time and hopefully we can build something up to buy. I'll have time to read more info and catch up on what I have missed in 6 years.....for now I'll wait.

Edited to add
Read up on monitors too

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I will resurrect this thread come the time and hopefully we can build something up to buy

Ok so I7 8700 is here so starting with this what else would any of you recommend to finish a full system. Monitor Included and a GTX1080ti.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,310.45
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Associate
OP
That's another part I can order :)
Is there much point in water-cooling that.
OCuk will be building it.....?
I want this quiet :)

Edited to add..... that's a price reduction at the moment :)

Soldato
That's another part I can order :)
Is there much point in water-cooling that.
OCuk will be building it.....?
I want this quiet :)

Edited to add..... that's a price reduction at the moment :)

No point going with the Poseidon if you are just going to run it on air. Having ocuk watercool it will drop temps like a stone. Not sure how much it would cost though. If you are happy with a blower style cooler then just go with something like the Asus Strix, Gigabyte Aorus or MSI Gaming X.

Associate
OP
Thanks for reply. I'll add water-cooling.

I have e-mailed the guy (can't remember name) in charge of this after initial contact so all this info helps.

Soldato
Soldato
It's a card that has flash factor , it does well It cooled , bit it's glory is with water - whilst not voiding Asus warranty !!!! And the LED screen.
If you haven't seen the card on YouTube, search it, then search In Win 805 infinity !!!!! Dig deep in the pockets though

Associate
OP
It's a card that has flash factor , it does well It cooled , bit it's glory is with water - whilst not voiding Asus warranty !!!! And the LED screen.
If you haven't seen the card on YouTube, search it, then search In Win 805 infinity !!!!! Dig deep in the pockets though

I'll look it up and also direct the OC employee to this thread.

Pockets are deep but not unlimited.

I want this to last another 6 year's so cost divided by 6. Buying through business account. My own though so limited in a way

Soldato

I want this to last another 6 year's so cost divided by 6. Buying through business account. My own though so limited in a way

Cpu. Board and ram will last graphic always outdated by next gen pmsl. But Ti should see you through 3 years,, but might notice in that third year settings get lowered ;(

Soldato

If it is looking like too much money then a good air cooled card such as the MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X would be a good choice. It runs pretty quiet as well.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £738.89
(includes shipping: £9.90)

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...rtin/msi-gtx-1080-ti-gaming-x-11gb-review/12/

Associate
OP
Email contact is very slow progress with overclockers 1 per day then nothing today. Probably busy so fair enough.
Getting there slowly with the build but think I'll take it to phone from now on.

Back
Top Bottom