Upgrade check, advice for improvement appreciated

Associate
Hi
Looking to upgrade my somewhat ageing Core2Duo system and get back into gaming a little, what with Stalker 2 on the horizon.

Existing case is suitable, peripherals all ok, have 1tb ssd and I'm hoping PSU will suffice too (SuperFlower 80plus Bronze 550w). I just need the big 4 as it were..

My budget was around £600-700, but that was never going to happen. Looking at these options, if anyone can suggest improvements for similar price (or better for cheaper of course). Much appreciated!

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £902.89 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

If I did go for a new case and PSU would these be sufficient...​
Thank you!​

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're wanting to keep to that budget it's doable with AM4 if you don't mind going for last gen stuff.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £737.95 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

I've seen the 5600 go for as little as £120 on here before, you'd need an hsf too. I'd consider a new PSU but stay away from kolink, without double checking I'd say you're looking at a decent quality 650w for these specs.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for replies. Thinking about it longevity is a factor too, as I won't want to upgrade for a long time, so going for the later AM5 stuff and spending the extra is probably best option.

Soldato
Thanks for replies. Thinking about it longevity is a factor too, as I won't want to upgrade for a long time, so going for the later AM5 stuff and spending the extra is probably best option.
In that case the 5800x is incompatible with the components you selected, it's an am4 CPU. You have an AM5 motherboard and DDR5 listed, you should be looking at the 7600.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Man of Honour
This is going to blow the budget even more but ditch the junk psu and buy one from a quality brand instead. If you shop around you can get a EVGA Supernova G6 650w which has a 10 year warranty for just under £90 delivered. New to the UK is Montech who have turned out some very good psu's. You can pick up a Montech Century 650w Gold rated fully modular psu for £88 or the 850w version for just £95 which makes more sense to me and would cover you for any future upgrades. For a newcomer they are fairly expensive normally but they are discounted at the moment as a introductory price. They don't have RGB or fancy bags for the cables but they have spent the money on very high quality internals and use good quality Japanese capacitors. The warranty is "only" 5 years but that two years longer than the crappy Kolink. You can read a review of the 650w version here. With psu's you get what you pay for and this is the one place that shouldn't be skimped on.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I would rather drop to a 7600 than buy a budget psu, there are changes you could make to free up budget such as motherboard and you can get 5600mhz ram for the same money.

Last edited:
Associate
I totally agree with pasty and do not think you should skimp on your PSU and should be buying from a more respected brand.

AMD gpu pricing has been yoyoing all over the place in the past 6 months as supplies start to get short. The 6700 has been as low as £300 in the past and at the current price you may want to consider the 6700xt below, just £30 more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FkQdAViLIs - Showcases performance , he can be annoying so skip to the relevant graphs.

Soldato
Looking to upgrade my somewhat ageing Core2Duo system

I agree with @pastymuncher - get a better PSU than the Kolink. Your existing Superflower is a decent brand, so if you get a low-power GPU and it's not too old then you might as well keep it and save some money.
I see that the 7700X is £100 off, so that's a good spot; otherwise wait for the X3D version.
I don't like that case: it has poor airflow and only one fan. In the low-price bracket I'm a big fan of the Kolink Citadel Mesh which has a mesh front and comes with two fans (and mounts for three more) but that will force you to go for a MATX motherboard.

My basket at OcUK:

With regards to the GPU, take a long hard look at the Intel Arc A750 at £250.

Associate
OP
Cheers. Sorry didn't realise Kolink were a dog crap brand, I'm very out of touch with technology these days.

I'll swap the PSU with something better, same with case and £30 extra for the Powercolor 6700xt seems a better choice.

I'm looking at end of Feb to be buying, no doubt prices will all have completely changed by then.

Associate
I'm looking at end of Feb to be buying, no doubt prices will all have completely changed by then.

Yes prices shift all the time and you really do have to keep an eye on things. What can be a good deal one day becomes poor the next. Post a fresh spec a day or 2 before you intend to press buy and get more upto date feedback.

Man of Honour
Associate
OP
Yes prices shift all the time and you really do have to keep an eye on things. What can be a good deal one day becomes poor the next. Post a fresh spec a day or 2 before you intend to press buy and get more upto date feedback.

Will do, cheers. Got a good starting point now though so will comeback in a couple weeks and do just that.

Associate
OP
Associate
If you can buy components on specials at a good price then get them...as long as you do not have to pay to much for postage. The Ryzen 7700x should come down in price as soon as the 7800X 3D is released , not many people will be buying a 7700x once the X3D part is available.

Kolink, their cases are a bit on the flimsy side but they do the job and some of them are good designs and decent choices at the price point.

The cooler you have chosen is just not that cheap so you can get either of the below coolers that will do equally as good a job.

If this was in stock then this would be what I would use at that price point.

If you can find the deal that Pasty mentions above then thats very good as well. The Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ( yes its a rediculously long name for a damn cooler) is an outstanding cooler in the £50 region but not stocked on OCUK.

Just to mention you have picked a micro ATX case and ATX motherboard in the above build so it will not fit.

Associate
OP
Sorry, I selected wrong motherboard, it should be the Gigabyte board,

I've seen where the cooler is he mentioned, so yeah may get that instead.

I'm looking at wanting it up and running for early to mid March, so probably won't wait for 7800x 3d to come out in hope of a cheaper 7700x.

Forgot to add Win 11 into budget .

Back
Top Bottom