• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from 3080 to 7900xt/x worth it?

No , not with new generation releases not far away 3080 at 1440p is still decent

I have an 3080 the only uplift I would want from it minimum is 4080 / 7900xtx
Exactly my conundrum, and I'm inclined to agree. Wait and see. My 3080 is still doing well at 1440p UW and my monitor does a maximum of 120Hz anyway.

Yep but headline suggest amd doing mid range and from latest rumours 5070 and 5080 going to be pricey and gimped to a degree, as well as the god know how long wait for stock

7900xt 629 here, easily get 300+ for 3080

Last edited:
Yep but headline suggest amd doing mid range and from latest rumours 5070 and 5080 going to be pricey and gimped to a degree, as well as the god know how long wait for stock

Look at some of the videos on YouTube and decide if you think it is worth the £££:

Expect about 35% faster raster and about the same performance in extreme RT. Normal levels of RT fall somewhere between.

It’s definitely a better all round package than a 3080 with twice the VRAM. A 4080 is about 15% faster in raster than a 7900 XT and that drops to about 10% when both overclocked.

If you held on to a 3080 this long wait it out is my advice.

We don't know what kind of performance mid range next gen AMD card will offer I can't see them calling it mid range if it's similar performance to current 7800xt , I'm hoping around 4080/7900xtx performance with AMD talking up gaining market share hopefully that means aggressively priced

Last edited:
Look at some of the videos on YouTube and decide if you think it is worth the £££:

I think at 4K it makes it look more better , op plays at 1440p so FPS will still be high enough to have good experience and hard to notice the difference when in the game , for example 100fps Vs 150fps you'd not notice

It’s the Alienware freesync monitor, thought I might benefit from that part as well

Never going to 4k as eyes not up to it, ideally want to max out the 165mhz on my monitor

Last edited:
I'm someone that made the "jump" from a 3080 to a 7900XT
The power draw is roughly similar for a 30% jump in rasterisation performance
You do unfortunately lose DLSS if you use that

Personally (N=1) I would recommend if the extra outlay isn't too much more, but I did get mine like 8-9 months ago
Given that the 50 series are soon (tm) if you can wait then might as well wait

Last edited:
I have a 6800 XT (roughly comparable to the 3080) and have considered an upgrade to a current gen card but decided a while back that 4080/XTX performance would be the only worthwhile upgrade. With the prices for those being what they are I'm holding fast.

Having recently upgraded to a 1440p ultrawide the itch has intensified but the value just isn't there, especially when my card does well enough with sacrifices to IQ settings. And with DLSS on your card being better than FSR2 on mine that won't be quite as bad.

I just hope the 5000 series rumours aren't as bad as they sound.

I wouldn't bother.. Not from a 3080 and not so close to whatever arrives later this year/beginning of next year. The only way I would consider it would be getting a decent penny for the 3080 and then exploit the lesser mindshare of the Radeon brand and buy the XT second hand for cheaps.

I swapped a 3090 for a 6900xt as I was mostly playing call of duty and the 6900xt was a better card for that. Think cyberpunk plays better on Nvidia though from what I've read.

The only way I would consider it would be getting a decent penny for the 3080 and then exploit the lesser mindshare of the Radeon brand and buy the XT second hand for cheaps.
that's exactly what I did. basically only cost me £100 for swapping the 3080 to the 7900xt

What games do you play?
MMOGs

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom