• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from 3080 to 7900xt/x worth it?

Just wait till the twitching becomes a flex
It twitched so much it ended up flexing...

Really impressed with the card tbh. Solid as a brick and looks very classy. I think I might have found my new favourite video card brand since EVGA stopped making cards! I do seem to get a lot of coil whine though, which is a touch annoying. Noticed a bit of sag so used the anti sag bracket that they have in the Torrent rather than the Sapphire one.

I was a little worried that my old monitor being a G-sync one might cause problems. But so far there doesn't seem to have been any tearing in anything I've played.

Last edited:
That's very cheap for an XTX! I've been keeping an eye on these for years, although I suspect a 750W PSU is just under the comfort zone?

That's very cheap for an XTX! I've been keeping an eye on these for years, although I suspect a 750W PSU is just under the comfort zone?

Which CPU/mobo do you have?
I own rx6900xt/ ryzen 7600.
I have never seen more than 600W pull from the wall.
GPU OC to 2800/2150mhz and CPU 5300mhz.
Recommend psu is 850w for my card.

Last edited:
It twitched so much it ended up flexing...

Really impressed with the card tbh. Solid as a brick and looks very classy. I think I might have found my new favourite video card brand since EVGA stopped making cards! I do seem to get a lot of coil whine though, which is a touch annoying. Noticed a bit of sag so used the anti sag bracket that they have in the Torrent rather than the Sapphire one.

I was a little worried that my old monitor being a G-sync one might cause problems. But so far there doesn't seem to have been any tearing in anything I've played.
You might want to cap your frame rate as I’ve noticed mine has some whine when the game menu hits 1000 fps.

Which CPU/mobo do you have?
I own rx6900xt/ ryzen 7600.
I have never seen more than 600W pull from the wall.
GPU OC to 2800/2150mhz and CPU 5300mhz.
Recommend psu is 850w for my card.
I have a Ryzen 5800X3D, B550 mini itx and two nvme drives. GPU is 3070Ti at the moment. I would have thought this would be fairly conservative on power draw

You might want to cap your frame rate as I’ve noticed mine has some whine when the game menu hits 1000 fps.

I was thinking this was a big contributor to it. I noticed in Space Marine 2 where it was running about 90 FPS with everything dialed up to 11 there was no coil whine. Whereas in Division 2 on the menus there was a load of coil whine while the frame rate was rocketting.

Hopefully around easter I'll be replacing my Monitor for a nice new OLED one. So just need to make do with the old Dell G-Sync one till then.

I was thinking this was a big contributor to it. I noticed in Space Marine 2 where it was running about 90 FPS with everything dialed up to 11 there was no coil whine. Whereas in Division 2 on the menus there was a load of coil whine while the frame rate was rocketting.

Hopefully around easter I'll be replacing my Monitor for a nice new OLED one. So just need to make do with the old Dell G-Sync one till then.
You can cap your frame rate with radion chill to whatever you like. In the game profile or global settings.

Given the XTX a good work out over the weekend. Whilst I initially thought "oh gawd that was so much money what have I done?!" Once I started trying out games and cranking everything to 11 and trying out some RT. My word! This card is an utter beast! So so happy I went for it. Really pretty chuffed with my system at the moment. Haven't even looked at my PS5 since! :cry:

It's a lot better this last 6/7 months or so since the drivers started getting really good performance-wise :cool:

I like the driver software over the old GeForce Experience software. ITs nice having everything in one place while I'm in the tinkering phase of ownership. I think I'll start having a go with undervolting soon and see what I can achieve.

Undervolting a 7x00 is actually overclocking. It reduces the power requirements and thus heat, which gives higher boost clocks. Couple it with a VRAM OC or set it to faster timings in the settings.

Finally mess with the power target, I actually set my 7900XT to -10 and with an undervolt and faster VRAM, it is about 5% faster than stock at about 287W. If I max the power target it is about 10% faster than stock with an undervolt and 340W power used.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom