• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from 3080 to a 4080 Super or wait for 5 series cards ?

Associate
1. Is it worth the money to upgrade ? Id get about £350 for the second-hand 3080 and then would need to spend another £500 for the 4080 super.
2. Common sense tells me to wait for the 5 series cards but then common sense also tells me they will be in very short supply and I probably wont be able to get one in the first few months of release and when they do finally become available they will also probably cost more than what a 4090 currently does.

Perhaps wait for the 5 series to be released and then get a 4090 once they go down in price (wishful thinking hoping they will drop to around £1k I guess) ?

I hate upgrading graphics cards, always seems such bad value for money.

Last edited:
As others have said, just wait and worse case is the 4000 series will have dropped in price by then and second hand prices will crash as they always do.

Also we have to wait and see what planned obsolescence games Nvidia will introduce in the 5000 series to make the 4000 series look unappealing to buy...

Save your money for now, it is never really worth upgrading every generation, best to skip one and look again.

i sacked off my 3080 for a 4090 20 months back, no more thinking about vram, runs cooler and uses less power, ive still got the 3080 sat in a box somewhere as a backup:P

but no i prob wouldnt buy a 40 series card now just keep saving and get a 50 series in a short while

Last edited:
like others i'd wait it out and see.

Your current card should be pretty capable of the current games at the moment..and every year there will always be a new card coming out.. thats how quick technology is advancing, so personally i'd wait til you know your card can no longer handle what you throw at it

Wait for sure

This.

3080 is still no slouch (gamed at 3440x1440 and 4k), it's aged very well with how good DLSS is and the RT grunt it has and thanks to AMD ( :cry: ) now frame gen to give it some extra longevity. The only gpu from that era which is better than it in newer games from the last 2 years is the 3090 and 3080ti models and the only real upgrade from the current gen gpus is the 4090.

Definetly get a 5070-5090 depending on your budget or you'll probably be able to pick up a second hand 4090 for <£1k come 50xx release.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom