• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from 470 to 580. Worth it or not?

Associate
Have about £400 available for an upgrade. Would I see a big performance increase at 1920x1080 if I upgraded to a 580? Would a 3GB version show much yield over a 1.5GB version?

It's either this or invest in a sandy board and a 2500K.

Soldato
As you already have a very capable card, I would wait and see whats coming in the next few months frm AMD and Nvidia.

Your get more performance for your money.

We are in September after all, so not long to wait.

Soldato
Please do not upgrade from a 470 to a 580, not worth the outlay for the performance gain in my opinion. Not saying the 580 isn't a great card, it is, just not from a 470. My 470 easily does 850+ and with a Gelid Icy Vision is very cool and quiet, in fact I dont OC my 470 yet but I did take it to 875 when I first got it and there was more in it. Wait for the AMD 7***series for your next upgrade.:)

Associate
Was running Q9650 @ 4ghz with P5Q-E ,4gb DDr2 and a 470.

Cooled and quietened the 470 by fitting the Zalman coooler - overclocked it to 480 speeds, which it's been running since fitting without problem. Nice small upgrade.

Then moved to i2500k + msi p76a-gd65 + 4gb g-skill ripjaw - now THAT is an upgrade. No hesitation in recommending , without a doubt the most noticeable improvement in general performance I've seen in years and quite a few (what I thought were) upgrades. AND this was before I overclocked at all (now running at a nice and cool 4.2)

If I were in your position I would :-
1. Cool and clock(which you have - my apologies!) the 470.and
2 Either:-
a) Wait and see what buldozer brings to the table
or
b) Go for the Sandy set up - I'd probably swap my board for the newer z series and ,maybe (have not seen enough imfo. to give a reasoned call), get some slightly quicker ram.

Last edited:
Soldato
Was running Q9650 @ 4ghz with P5Q-E ,4gb DDr2 and a 470.

Cooled and quietened the 470 by fitting the Zalman coooler - overclocked it to 480 speeds, which it's been running since fitting without problem. Nice small upgrade.

Then moved to i2500k + msi p76a-gd65 + 4gb g-skill ripjaw - now THAT is an upgrade. No hesitation in recommending , without a doubt the most noticeable improvement in general performance I've seen in years and quite a few (what I thought were) upgrades. AND this was before I overclocked at all (now running at a nice and cool 4.2)

If I were in your position I would :-
1. Cool and clock(which you have - my apologies!) the 470.and
2 Either:-
a) Wait and see what buldozer brings to the table
or
b) Go for the Sandy set up - I'd probably swap my board for the newer z series and ,maybe (have not seen enough imfo. to give a reasoned call), get some slightly quicker ram.

I used to have a Q6600 with a 470 and took the same route too, I havent tried clocking it up to 850, So might give it a go as ive fitted an accelero xtreme plus (lost ability to SLI though). What im trying to say is save up your pennies and get a sandy bridge setup.. You wont be disappointed!

Associate
yeah but will there be much real world difference between a Q9650 at 4Ghz and a Sandy @4.6?

Yes - the main 'plus' I found was how much 'snappier' everything was when using the i2500k @ stock as compared to the q9650 @ 4ghz .( never mind what a difference overclocking the cpu adds).

I was being serious when I said that I considered that upgrade a REAL upgrade (well worth the cost for once) and probably as big /if not bigger than the move from opteron to core duo.

If you factor in what you can sell what you have for the cost of the upgrade should be minimal (if memory serves correct mine cost no more than £150) :D

Associate
Just to observe that if you do upgrade to Sandy your not just moving to a new cpu you are also taking on a new board and new ram both of which are quicker than the old tech .

Sorry if I'm coming over as either an Intel Fan boy or a seller - I'm neither. I did when I made the same upgrade find , for once, that the improvement was and remains noticable on a day to day use basis. And I believe giving praise when praise is due.

(Having said all the above - do not blame me if you take the jump and do not see the improvement that I did:))

Back
Top Bottom