Upgrade upto £2000

Associate
Hi guys,

So I'm thinking of doing an upgrade... I really fancy an 8700k guaranteed at 5.2ghz with the highest amount of memory at the fastest speed possible. I will need a decent motherboard as well.

I've not upgraded in a few years, but the rest of my components are fine as I have kept them up to date.

I am on a 4670k @4.3ghz with a GTX 1080.

Ideally I am looking for a pre-overclocked bundle. Is it best to contact OCUK direct and get a custom quote or is there something that fits my spec and budget on their site?

If I was to get 32gb of 8 pack memory at 4133mhz, would I see much performance difference, say against memory at 3200mhz with lower timings?

Cheers,

T_IT.

Associate
Hi,

You pay a real premium for a garenteed 5.2 ghz, for gaming the difference will be minimal. You may be better buying a retail chip and taking your chances on the overclock. Most can get to 5 Ghz.

You would be far better spending the same money on a 8700k retail and selling the 1080 and upgrading to a 1080ti.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi,

You pay a real premium for a garenteed 5.2 ghz, for gaming the difference will be minimal. You may be better buying a retail chip and taking your chances on the overclock. Most can get to 5 Ghz.

You would be far better spending the same money on a 8700k retail and selling the 1080 and upgrading to a 1080ti.

Ok, do you see much FPS improvement with higher speed memory? I am trying to some what future proof my system so I can avoid another upgrade for 5 - 7 years. I last upgraded my CPU, RAM & mobo in 2011

Soldato
Ram speeds tend to make a different on Min Frame rate , most users not really needed, unless your trying to drive fastest possible rates at 4k gaming, then every frame rate counts when your kind dips to 35fps and highest is 50 odd.
Also makes a difference when rendering off CPU for very long extended periods, mean rendering a piece for 2+ days .
Best option, 8 pack ram, 3200hz , Intel systems should be able to clock to 4000hz or lower times from CL14 to CL10 on Intel :)
Covers best of both worlds
Think most would like the latter

Back
Top Bottom