Upgraded CPU. Reaches 100C within 2 seconds fan won't go full speed

Soldato
OP
Just to update , i got the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO. today and everything is spiffy now, i undervolted the I7 from 1.2 to 1.15v and has been stable all day with load temps around 69C - 73C. big difference from 100C last night.

Thanks for all your help.

Soldato
OP
Still seems a bit hot
I had a 4790k a while back and granted i was cooling with a dark rock2 it ran at 4.7 all cores 1.27volts and idled at about 40oC +- ish depending on room temps

Well right now it's idling around 32C , i was playing BF2 last night 64 players and sometimes it dipped into the high 60's , as you said , ambient temps play a big part too

Associate
When I was using a 4770k, which I assume doesn't get as got as the 4790k, the temperatures where about mid 30s on idle and about 60s under load.
I would only consider the temperatures under normal circumstances, normal usage, not the ones when running some benchmark. Those are just to check system stability.

Associate
Result although it's still hot. Might be worth de-lidding if adventurous. Depends on risk vs reward to you. Can always look on the bright side though, at least your room will be warm this winter.

Soldato
OP
Result although it's still hot. Might be worth de-lidding if adventurous. Depends on risk vs reward to you. Can always look on the bright side though, at least your room will be warm this winter.

I was looking at some videos on delidding, seems quite strait forward , knowing me though, i'd **** it right up

Man of Honour
Liquid metal between the chip and IHS, then a good paste such as Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut between the IHS and cooler. Be very careful when applying the liquid metal as it's conductive and there is a row of little transistors alongside the cpu die that you don't want to get any of it on them. Many of us have used nail varnish on that row of transistors and letting it dry before applying the liquid metal just in case of accidents.

Soldato
OP
Just lowered my Vcore on the i7 from 1.15 to 1.12 stable and under 100% load temps dropped to 66C from 70C. I wonder if i can go lower?

Back
Top Bottom