• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading 4090 to 5090 - minimising upgrade cost.

Buy 5090
Wait for the flood of 2nd hand 4090s to dry up and stock of the 5000 series to be limited
Sell 4090

It's not like it was 10 years ago where you could sell your old one for 80% of the cost of the new one just 2 weeks beforehand. Stock is more limited and prices have larger swings so it's better to sell afterwards

I was thinking of selling my 4090 for a moment, even checked prices on eBay etc. but then I've decided not to - there's nothing so far that I'm missing in UW 1440p at all currently. Not even one game wouldn't run below 100fps with details to the max (I'm fine with DLSS FG in worst cases) - card always felt too fast as is for my needs and just very recently it feels 100% as it should be instead of too fast (HFW etc.). I don't see anything coming in the near future that would change this feeling so there's nothing Nvidia could come up with that would make me upgrade to 5k series, it feels - at times it's just so good with hardware that there's not even slightest drive to upgrade. :) Maybe 6k series will do it, we'll see. CPU on the other hand... yeah, coming Ryzen 9k might do it.

Last edited:
Ha ha, I sold my Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, PS Vita, 4790k, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR3 2600mhz ram, 2 GTX 980's, loads of games to justify dropping £2500+ on a Legion Pro 7i 4080 pretty much at launch.
I had the money outright to get the 4090 version as well but for an extra £650? Nah.

Put off upgrading my desktop for years as you can seen by my 4th Gen CPU so I just went "almost" all in in a top end laptop.

Buy 5090
Wait for the flood of 2nd hand 4090s to dry up and stock of the 5000 series to be limited
Sell 4090

It's not like it was 10 years ago where you could sell your old one for 80% of the cost of the new one just 2 weeks beforehand. Stock is more limited and prices have larger swings so it's better to sell afterwards

This. I'm sure there will be a lot of people who want to buy a 5090/5080 but when they see the prices won't be able to pay them, so I can't really see a flood of 4000 series coming on the market anyway. The problem with the members market is there's always a Dicehunter who needs to offload their card quickly and it sinks the price in everyone's head. Look at the posts looking out for another £1050 4090FE. (And he had it on for £1200 originally which he'd easily have got).

This. I'm sure there will be a lot of people who want to buy a 5090/5080 but when they see the prices won't be able to pay them, so I can't really see a flood of 4000 series coming on the market anyway. The problem with the members market is there's always a Dicehunter who needs to offload their card quickly and it sinks the price in everyone's head. Look at the posts looking out for another £1050 4090FE. (And he had it on for £1200 originally which he'd easily have got).
Tbh a used 4090 in my mind is not worth more than a grand at this late stage of the cycle.

A 5080 would likely cost £900-1000 and perform within 10% of a 4090 with possibly 16gb vram.

People have no trouble selling 4090s for over £1200 right now, just because you won't pay it... Also the 4080 was what £1200+ on launch, there's no way the 5080 is gonna be less than that
Nvidia have learned from their pricing mistakes with the 4080super coming in under the old 4080’s msrp.

Similarly to sell the 5080 they will price it to just over a grand. (Max 900-1050).

A 4090 sadly is soon to be past gen and likely feature locked out so £1K for used currently seems reasonable esp as there is uncertainty regarding the power connector etc.

Back
Top Bottom