• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading 4090 to 5090 - minimising upgrade cost.

Soldato
Yes there is historical precedent of people constantly getting wrecked trying to do this.
So true, but what's to say the 4090 and everything under won't hold their price or go even higher as 5090 could go >£3000 easy due to whatever shortage reasons NV want you to believe enforced by AMD pricing because they work in tandem and manipulate the market however they see fit?:p

Soldato
I got wrecked waiting for a 3080.

Was a happy man married to a 2070 super. 3080 announced, i sold her for £400 anticipating the 3080 launch.

Launch day, i got nothing as the 3080 stock got gangbanged by scalpers and bots.

Story ends with me living with a 1060 for a few weeks and ending up spending more than double to get a 3090.

Lesson... just wait.

Last edited:
Soldato
super difficult to say because with each generation there are different price / performance changes and time gaps between series releases.

for example the price jump from 3080 to 4080 was insane, nobody could have predicted a doubling of price.
everyone who sold off their 3080 really early must have been very sore that they bothered.

Soldato

Was a happy man married to a 2070 super. 3080 announced, i sold her for £400 anticipating the 3080 launch.

Launch day, i got nothing as the 3080 stock got gangbanged by scalpers and bots.

Story ends with me living with a 1060 for a few weeks and ending up spending more than double to get a 3090.

Lesson... just wait.
You mean you couldn't get a 3080 at launch and after? So many say it was so easy to get them especially the FE. ;) They were easier to get than hens teeth as some have been telling us. But as we all know sadly reality was very different and yes good advice to make sure you have a spare gpu before selling your main one to cover the costs of a future update.

Also no one knows what will happen by the time new gpus are out regarding cost or even the availability or some new money making scheme kicks in again to mess it up for gamers.

Soldato
You mean you couldn't get a 3080 at launch and after? So many say it was so easy to get them especially the FE. ;) They were easier to get than hens teeth as some have been telling us. But as we all know sadly reality was very different and yes good advice to make sure you have a spare gpu before selling your main one to cover the costs of a future update.

Also no one knows what will happen by the time new gpus are out regarding cost or even the availability or some new money making scheme kicks in again to mess it up for gamers.

Nah i couldn't get a 3080 at launch but managed to get a 3090 at retail at launch but it wasn't what i wanted to do. Knowing what was coming i spent it anyway so i wasn't without in the end but still, spent more than what i wanted to spend on a gpu at the time. You're talking £650 for a 3080 FE and £1400 for a 3090 FE, it was such a kick in the nuts.

Only went and did the same again on a 4090 FE :cry: but it was more worth it this time as the uplift was pretty insane.

Soldato
Go ahead and sell the 4090, and then only to come to regret it when Nvidia decide to be an absolute clown and release the 5090 at £2200-£2500 (and then the 2nd hand value of 4090 increases with the new 4090 EOL and out of stock) :cry:
Looks like some or all the 4090 AIB have already gone up again in price

2k now for an Asus Tuf 4090 :eek: And am sure a few days ago there was some 4090 going for around £1,550, Not anymore

Last edited:
Associate

I remember that time.

We went from "Better sell that useless 2080Ti for whatever you can get, the 3080 comes out next week and ***** all over it" to "The 3xxx series can't be had for love nor money, 2080Tis are selling for higher than their new price" in the space of about three weeks.

Seems unlikely to happen again as we don't really have crypto mining in the mix this time, but you never can tell!

Soldato
Looks like some or all the 4090 AIB have already gone up again in price

2k now for an Asus Tuf 4090 :eek: And am sure a few days ago there was some 4090 going for around £1,550, Not anymore

While they are available from Nvidia as we speak for £1519 and have been for days now. :cry:

Soldato
I remember that time.

We went from "Better sell that useless 2080Ti for whatever you can get, the 3080 comes out next week and ***** all over it" to "The 3xxx series can't be had for love nor money, 2080Tis are selling for higher than their new price" in the space of about three weeks.

Seems unlikely to happen again as we don't really have crypto mining in the mix this time, but you never can tell!

The problem is scalpers now, if the price is too good scalpers will have their way with it although more and more retailers are battling it by blocking certain addresses and only allowing 1 per person/per household etc if it does happen again.

Ontop of that, you have a generation of people who are willing to pay anything to get the latest and greatest just to show it off on a live stream to get the "views" and attention.

Just look at how much this generation was willing to pay for a stupid prime drink when it dropped. You can't fix stupidity.

Soldato
One thing it seems very easy at the moment to sell a 4090
If i remember right Dicehunter had multi people wanting to buy his 4090 in the mm very quickly

Last edited:
Soldato
Timing it is always going to be a big gamble, but you can probably keep it until July and still sell it easily. A lot of interest from ML guys in it means it's not going to be hard to sell. One thing to keep in mind though is that buy an x90 card at launch will be quite expensive (if you can even snag one) due to limited launch volume.

Associate
OP
Ive never owned a gpu i didnt run into the ground prior so was keen to get a sense of the perceived wisdom out there.
Enjoying the best for a more modest sum every release, rather than run something into the ground and have to spend a lot might be somewhat justifiable.

£500 every release, a nice treat.
£1000+ every release, not so much.

Im sensing that nvidia own cards are probably best value and reasonable cooler quality (moreso every generation), but do 2nd hand purchasers agree...
I'm assuming there wont be high supply so it might be sensible to try and buy Nvidia day 1 ,and if get 'lucky' then sell old (to perhaps a keen ML buyer)

Back
Top Bottom