• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading 4090 to 5090 - minimising upgrade cost.

Man of Honour
Why is this thread now just about people saying they could afford one if they wanted one? It’s turning into r/Rolex

It's a comment on the perceived value of the product relative to its price. In that context, choosing not to buy it while being able to adds extra weight.

I'm the same way about watches, only more so. Why spend £1000 (or £5K, or £10K, etc) on a watch when £10 will get you exactly the same functionality? At least a 4090 has higher performance than less expensive cards.

Associate
I'm basing this on nothing else but my thoughts, I think the 5090 FE will be the same price as the 4090 FE was at launch, at the £1,600 mark.

Why? Because if the 5090 FE is £2,000+ then the AIB partners will need to aim for £2,500 or even £3,000 which is completely bonkers amount - to play video games. Those that bought a 4090 will think it's not worth it to upgrade and those that didn't most likely didn't because they couldn't afford it. Nvidia know how many Titan V's it sold at a similar price and I bet it wasn't many.

It's far better to devalue the 4090 by pricing the 5090 within reach, plus it takes even more of AMD's market share by making second hand 4090's available, that's what AMD's next offering will have to compete with.
Gaming sales are trivial to Nvidia now with them riding the AI boon. They will price it over 2,000 just because they can do it and reviewers can't mock them because AMD is nowhere in the running. They are only competing with their own last gen cards.

4090 pricing was still somewhat influenced by AMD being at 4080 Super performance level so they couldn't go all out but this time AMD is nowhere near 5080 and 5090 and they have the AI war chest with them.

Last edited:
Associate
Nah i couldn't get a 3080 at launch but managed to get a 3090 at retail at launch but it wasn't what i wanted to do. Knowing what was coming i spent it anyway so i wasn't without in the end but still, spent more than what i wanted to spend on a gpu at the time. You're talking £650 for a 3080 FE and £1400 for a 3090 FE, it was such a kick in the nuts.

Only went and did the same again on a 4090 FE :cry: but it was more worth it this time as the uplift was pretty insane.
two nuts, two hits. Being nvidia they'll be aiming that 5090 at your middle wicket...lets hope for your sake they don't knock it out the ground:cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
two nuts, two hits. Being nvidia they'll be aiming that 5090 at your middle wicket...lets hope for your sake they don't knock it out the ground:cry:

Knowing me though i'll fall for it for a 3rd time, but in all seriousness this is probably the first gpu i've had since my GTX 680 that i feel like i won't need to upgrade for awhile. I'm confident i'll be fine skipping next gen (famous last words).

Associate
It's a comment on the perceived value of the product relative to its price. In that context, choosing not to buy it while being able to adds extra weight.

I'm the same way about watches, only more so. Why spend £1000 (or £5K, or £10K, etc) on a watch when £10 will get you exactly the same functionality? At least a 4090 has higher performance than less expensive cards.
The difference is that expensive watches often last literal centuries and gain value in time, often. Plus, it's really just jewellery at that point. Top gaming GPU is none of these things.

Man of Honour
The difference is that expensive watches often last literal centuries and gain value in time, often. Plus, it's really just jewellery at that point. Top gaming GPU is none of these things.

I won't be alive in centuries, so betting that a watch will still be working in centuries is a meaningless bet. Betting that a piece of jewellery will become more fashionable and thus more "valuable" at some point in the future is a bet I have no interest in.

If you want to spend 100+ times as much to get exactly the same functionality because you're betting that it will still be working long after you're dead or because you're betting that you can sell it at a profit at some point in the future, have at it. Make whatever bets you like with your money.

With a ludicrously priced gaming GPU at least you're getting higher performance for the far higher price and you're not gambling on things that might or might not happen at some unspecified time in the future. Also, it's not impossible that it might for some reason become a fashionable "collectible" in the future and you could sell it at a profit.

I'm not into jewellery. If I wanted to display my money I'd tape some £50 notes to my forehead or somesuch thing. May as well get straight to the point.

Associate
Well the price is gonna be laughable, and availability likely as well as nvidia are nuts deep in ai and could give less than 2 ***** about gaming.

We don't know anything yet. Nvidia have a habit of defying expectations every few generations and bringing out something that (at rrp at least) offers value. If it wasn't for the stock shortages the 30 series would have been legendary

Caporegime
We don't know anything yet. Nvidia have a habit of defying expectations every few generations and bringing out something that (at rrp at least) offers value. If it wasn't for the stock shortages the 30 series would have been legendary

Prices won't be lower, considering their ai chubby it probably galls them to have to sell gpus to gamers that they would make a ton more money on for ai purposes. They'll likely remain the same or go higher I doubt they will go down.

Back
Top Bottom