• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading 4090 to 5090 - minimising upgrade cost.

Caporegime

5090 only this year. You'll also be paying through the nose for it lol.

Do people still take this ******* idiot seriously?????

In a new video from Moore's Law is Dead, one of his sources reportedly from NVIDIA, said that they had the impression that NVIDIA is only going to be launching the GeForce RTX 5090 this year, adding that they were "NOT 100% sure". MLID's source said that either way, the "good news is that it is sounding more and more likely that it (the RTX 5090) will be unveiled at Computex, and be for sale in early Q4 of this year".

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/9798...x.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

:o

In other news, water is wet! At least that actually is true! :cry:

I do expect it will just be the 5090 this year though with the 5080 being in January.

Well the price is gonna be laughable, and availability likely as well as nvidia are nuts deep in ai and could give less than 2 ***** about gaming.

It's arguable that nvidia actually give more of a **** for pc gaming than amd tbh given the improvements they consistently keep making along with new advancements, meanwhile amd still don't have anything new or any developments yet other than the promised improvements to fsr to bring it on par with dlss.....

Associate
It's arguable that nvidia actually give more of a **** for pc gaming than amd tbh given the improvements they consistently keep making along with new advancements, meanwhile amd still don't have anything new or any developments yet other than the promised improvements to fsr to bring it on par with dlss.....
Nvidia doesn't care about anything aside one thing - money. The more the better. That's the same for every single big corporation out there, as that's what shareholders demand. Now, I'm sure they would push both pc and ai market at the same time if they could. Poblem is that they can't - production capacity is very very limited and gaming GPUs compared to AI ones make very little money, so they are practically a net loss in such scenario. Logic dictate then high prices and very low availability of GPUs that will be using same process that AI chips do, unless they are failed and cut down AI chips. Older GPUs or just the ones produced on different process will still be most likely majority of the market and with little competition from AMD, prices likely won't move much either. That's my prediction.

Associate
Do people still take this ******* idiot seriously?????

:o

In other news, water is wet! At least that actually is true! :cry:

I do expect it will just be the 5090 this year though with the 5080 being in January.

Having tried fsr and dlss, dlss is way ahead, fsr competes well in the quality modes, but when you shift to performance its not even a contest. Nvidia's lead here is like megadrive vs ps2 levels. But at quality settings fsr3 is fine for me.

No choice but nvidia really if this seriously matters to you when you purchase a gpu and play a huge variety of titles.

Caporegime
Nvidia doesn't care about anything aside one thing - money. The more the better. That's the same for every single big corporation out there, as that's what shareholders demand. Now, I'm sure they would push both pc and ai market at the same time if they could. Poblem is that they can't - production capacity is very very limited and gaming GPUs compared to AI ones make very little money, so they are practically a net loss in such scenario. Logic dictate then high prices and very low availability of GPUs that will be using same process that AI chips do, unless they are failed and cut down AI chips. Older GPUs or just the ones produced on different process will still be most likely majority of the market and with little competition from AMD, prices likely won't move much either. That's my prediction.

Well yes that is obvious but nvidia don't have to pass these improvements in ai etc. on to the gaming scene (they are very different workloads in themselves despite the underlying tech being similar concept), also, work still has to be done specifically for gaming to make use of advancements, it's not just a case of oh this will benefit games too, ship it out. In terms of just gaming focus between amd and nvidia, despite having the dgpu market by the balls (also, which is hardly any profit for them compared to their other avenues of datacentres etc. btw), amds lack of advancements, nvidia are stil bringing us advancements in a number of areas, whether people like it or not e.g. of the top of my head, their work in UE 5, remix, ray reconstruction, restirg, continually advancing dlss, streamline, gsync pulsar, their new control panel, improving their video recording/streaming for gameplay, rtx hdr and so on. Meanwhile, what have amd done recently? I'm actually struggling to think of anything other than their fsr 3.1 announcement, which we are still waiting on.....

So essentially it's a bit of a flawed arugment to say "gaming scene is not nvidias focus", true to some extent but if that's not their focus then bloody hell, amd must have already quit the scene a long time ago :cry:

Associate
So essentially it's a bit of a flawed arugment to say "gaming scene is not nvidias focus", true to some extent but if that's not their focus then bloody hell, amd must have already quit the scene a long time ago :cry:
That's not what I said. They will do whatever gives them money - if that was by expanding gaming portfolio, they did it. If ditching gaming tomorrow would be a clear win money-wise, they would do it in an instant. AMD on the other hand is such a small player in GPUs there's no justification for the spending on evolving that at the moment. There's a reason they are ditching (as per leaks) high end gaming all together - there's simply no money in that for them to gain, they chose a different path. It's not a new thing either, this has been a thing for them for decades now.

Caporegime
That's not what I said. They will do whatever gives them money - if that was by expanding gaming portfolio, they did it. If ditching gaming tomorrow would be a clear win money-wise, they would do it in an instant. AMD on the other hand is such a small player in GPUs there's no justification for the spending on evolving that at the moment. There's a reason they are ditching (as per leaks) high end gaming all together - there's simply no money in that for them to gain, they chose a different path. It's not a new thing either, this has been a thing for them for decades now.

The original comment I was responding to was this and you were referring to my post on the matter:

and availability likely as well as nvidia are nuts deep in ai and could give less than 2 ***** about gaming.

Nvidia could quite easily just up and leave the dgpu space as for them, that's not where the money is but as shown, they haven't and it's arguable that gaming is still very much a focus for them otherwise we wouldn't be seeing any new advancements from them, if anything I would argue, we are seeing more in the gaming pc scene from them than ever before really, again, advancements in ai is not a simple roll down hill into gaming scene, they need to be putting time, money and resources specifically into this too.

Last edited:
Associate
Prices won't be lower, considering their ai chubby it probably galls them to have to sell gpus to gamers that they would make a ton more money on for ai purposes. They'll likely remain the same or go higher I doubt they will go down.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Associate
Nvidia could quite easily just up and leave the dgpu space as for them, that's not where the money is but as shown, they haven't

I don't understand where you got the idea there's no money there for them to make? Clearly, there is. That's not the point. The point is of limited production capacity in new process for coming GPUs. Again, if these use same process as AI chips and will eat into enterprise production, you can bet we'll see very small stock and high prices etc. and focus will be on selling still 4k series (like they did in the past with 3k series). Only GPUs using different production capacity will be initially widespread on the market. That does not mean pulling from gaming at all, it's just a matter of priorities dictated by money. It's simple as that - from this alone we can pretty easily predict how market will look like when 5k series arrive.

and it's arguable that gaming is still very much a focus for them otherwise we wouldn't be seeing any new advancements from them, if anything I would argue, we are seeing more in the gaming pc scene from them than ever before really, again, advancements in ai is not a simple roll down hill into gaming scene, they need to be putting time, money and resources specifically into this too.
All of that is really irrelevant to what I said. Though, working on UE5 is as important for film production now as it's for gamers (likely more for the film) - that is where the money is too, Hollywood will pay very good money for it.

That aside, you seem to think NVIDIA is able to somehow decide for itself and CEO has some godly powers but the reality is that he's just employed by shareholders and either he guides the company towards more money for them or they could change CEO in an instant. That's how publicly traded corporations work. It has very little to do with what engineers want to do or care about etc. And you can bet shareholders don't care one bit about gaming market or ai etc. - they just want money to roll in.

Same situation with AMD and their CEO - seems high end GPUs do not bring enough money to bother so they instantly ditch them and move resources to things that bring money in. All the sentiments about what we think company should do are irrelevant - gamers do not matter to either company (as an entity, not employees!), only our wallets do. We stop paying, they move on to other places.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't understand where you got the idea there's no money there for them to make? Clearly, there is. That's not the point. The point is of limited production capacity in new process for coming GPUs. Again, if these use same process as AI chips and will eat into enterprise production, you can bet we'll see very small stock and high prices etc. and focus will be on selling still 4k series (like they did in the past with 3k series). Only GPUs using different production capacity will be initially widespread on the market. That does not mean pulling from gaming at all, it's just a matter of priorities dictated by money. It's simple as that - from this alone we can pretty easily predict how market will look like when 5k series arrive.

All of that is really irrelevant to what I said. What's more, you think NVIDIA is able to somehow decide for itself and CEO has some godly powers but the reality is that he's just employed by shareholders and either he guides the company towards more money for them or they could change CEO in an instant. That's how publicly traded corporations work. It has very little to do with what engineers want to do or care about etc. And you can bet shareholders don't care one bit about gaming market or ai etc. - they just want money to roll in.

Where did I say there's no money there? I said that's not where the money is for them now, which is true:

ec5Vs5r.png

I think you're looking a bit too deep into what my OP was seeking to debunk....

OP I was responding to:

Well the price is gonna be laughable, and availability likely as well as nvidia are nuts deep in ai and could give less than 2 ***** about gaming.

Specifically this point:

could give less than 2 ***** about gaming

My posts to this and after have been purely about how nvidia clearly do still focus on gaming hence all the developments we are still seeing in this space and it's not just a case of "oh that's because of it being a focus for AI and rolling down to fit gaming too" (paraphrasing here....)

Associate
Where did I say there's no money there? I said that's not where the money is for them now, which is true:

2.9B still - that's not nothing. Just chip Vs chip matters here, as I explained. If they could they would push for new products here too but again, production capacity is very limited currently as even Nvidia CEO said multiple times.

My posts to this and after have been purely about how nvidia clearly do still focus on gaming (...)

They kind of do. But the motive is likely not what you suggest (as in they care etc.), as I mentioned in my edit (but too late for you to see it). All the development here in UE5 will be used by Hollywood which has already began and UE5.4+ is pushing hard to be attractive for film makers and replace traditional rendering. These are very good clients for Nvidia with deep pockets too. Gaming happened just by the way in that case. A lot of recent development predates the whole AI rush too and I doubt we will see much pure gaming one now anymore - likely just by-products of the film industry and AI.

Last edited:
Caporegime
2.9B still - that's not nothing. Just chip Vs chip matters here, as I explained. If they could they would push for new products here too but again, production capacity is very limited currently as even Nvidia CEO said multiple times.

They kind of do. But the motive is likely not what you suggest (as in they care etc.), as I mentioned in my edit (but too late for you to see it). All the development here in UE5 will be used by Hollywood which has already began and UE5.4+ is pushing hard to be attractive for film makers and replace traditional rendering. These are very good clients for Nvidia with deep pockets too. Gaming happened just by the way in that case. A lot of recent development predates the whole AI rush too and I doubt we will see much pure gaming one now anymore - likely just by-products of the film industry and AI.

Again where did I say "nothing"? Compared to other avenues, gaming is not as lucrative to them as of the moment, which you have agreed upon....

If they didn't care, we wouldn't be seeing such advancements like I've listed, they either do or they don't and the fact that they are still releasing such improvements and new tech. to the pc gaming scene shows that regardless of more lucrative business, gaming is still somewhat a focus for them despite the claims of "nvidia couldn't give a **** about gaming"..... What about the other advancements outside of just UE which currently only benefits pc gamers?

- rtx hdr - did they have to do this? Nope
- gsync pulsar - did they have to do this? Nope
- dlss/fg advancements - did they have to do this? Nope
- nvidia updated control panel - did they have to do this? Nope
- ray reconstruction advancements - did they have to do this? Nope
- remix advancements - did they have to do this? Nope

Again, it's not quite as simple as you are making out "oh these are just byproducts of ai", the above requires further work/adaptation for the gaming scene as well as R&D for this kind of tech in the first place. A business can focus on multiple avenues, some areas of the business will have more priority than others.

Last edited:
Associate
(...)gaming is still somewhat a focus for them despite the claims of "nvidia couldn't give a **** about gaming".....

At yes, the other extreme is silly too. They clearly still have enough to gain from gaming to pursue it as well - I'm mostly focusing on pricing and availability based on production capacity for 5k series here, not what they do or do not elsewhere.

What about the other advancements outside of just UE which currently only benefits pc gamers?

- rtx hdr - did they have to do this? Nope

That's supposedly been done mostly for new Nvidia shield 2 :) same as AI improvements to video.

- gsync pulsar - did they have to do this? Nope
- dlss/fg advancements - did they have to do this? Nope

FG is likely Shield 2 as well. Potentially other uses which have nothing to do with gaming.

- nvidia updated control panel - did they have to do this? Nope

Really? That's what you will bring up as some achievement? It would be total shame if they didn't finally refresh that. And it's still not finished.

- ray reconstruction advancements - did they have to do this? Nope

That's for enterprise and rendering improvements. Gaming btw.

- remix advancements - did they have to do this? Nope

This one is a bit of a mystery where outside gaming it could've been used. :) but it's also their old project predating ai craze by much and likely intended to be relatively cheap pr stunt (still not finished).

Again, it's not quite as simple as you are making out "oh these are just byproducts of ai"

Not my argument here but it most of the gaming advancements seem to be just test bed for other products (like that shield, cars chips and other products not aimed at gamers). Though, it's also good pr for them, relatively cheap advertisement to sell more GPUs - so of course they will put some money into that. I only have problem here with you saying they care. As if that's some special treatment - it's not. It's just corporation developing technologies to sell more products. But because now they can't push more gaming products because of capacity restraints, we might see a draught.

the above requires further work/adaptation for the gaming scene.

Not as much as you think considering they use it in more products than just gaming.

Caporegime
At yes, the other extreme is silly too. They clearly still have enough to gain from gaming to pursue it as well - I'm mostly focusing on pricing and availability based on production capacity for 5k series here, not what they do or do not elsewhere.

That's supposedly been done mostly for new Nvidia shield 2
:)
same as AI improvements to video.

FG is likely Shield 2 as well. Potentially other uses which have nothing to do with gaming.

Really? That's what you will bring up as some achievement? It would be total shame if they didn't finally refresh that. And it's still not finished.

That's for enterprise and rendering improvements. Gaming btw.

This one is a bit of a mystery where outside gaming it could've been used.
:)
but it's also their old project predating ai craze by much and likely intended to be relatively cheap pr stunt (still not finished).

Not my argument here but it most of the gaming advancements seem to be just test bed for other products (like that shield, cars chips and other products not aimed at gamers). Though, it's also good pr for them, relatively cheap advertisement to sell more GPUs - so of course they will put some money into that. I only have problem here with you saying they care. As if that's some special treatment - it's not. It's just corporation developing technologies to sell more products. But because now they can't push more gaming products because of capacity restraints, we might see a draught.

Not as much as you think considering they use it in more products than just gaming.

It's been done for video and also released for gaming, again, if nvidia "didn't care", they wouldn't have enabled support for games too. It requires support specifically in their gaming profile/side of things. Also, it was initially released for videos but as shown/found in the nvidia profile inspector, the options were there for games too, they just didn't enable it yet so it's not just a "byproduct".

Frame generation? Shield 2 focus? Come again..... Clearly given it launched on ada and was 100% aimed at gaming, only supported for games, it is quite clear, it's a gaming only focus but yet nvidia still improve it likewise with dlss when they don't need to especially since it is still the golden standard.

control panel - yes, as it's something which benefits no one but pc gamers (you have been banging on about how everything nvidia gaming done is simply just a byproduct because it's been done for film/tv, ai when clearly that is not the case. It's not finished because it requires work/effort and testing, same way it took amd months/years with their rewrite of drivers/control panel.

enterprise and rendering improvements. Gaming btw.

So gaming as stated.....

Remix - PR stunt? Yet how many modders are using it to transform old games with PT, quite a lot so not sure how it's a PR stunt when it is being used and doing exactly what they designed it to do...

Again, you are making a mountain out of a molehill here for no apparent reason given what the original discussion was solely about:

Es0DCCG.png

I have never made it out like nvidias sole focus is gamers as we all know, that is not the case anymore but the fact that they are still steaming far ahead in the pc gaming scene with new technologies and improvements to their existing technologies shows that they do still see the gaming scene as somewhat important otherwise we would not be seeing anything whatsoever by them.

Back
Top Bottom