• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading from 5600X to 5700X3D not really worth it?

Soldato
minimum fps boost from x3d is worth it. and if your on am4 its a good option thats quick and easy to swap out not to mention that you can sell your old cpu on to make the upgrade even more worthwhile.

Soldato
minimum fps boost from x3d is worth it. and if your on am4 its a good option thats quick and easy to swap out not to mention that you can sell your old cpu on to make the upgrade even more worthwhile.
It's somewhat game dependant, but this 100%.

Especially on something like a 4070 or better.

Associate
I've held off too with a 5800x. I don't always shoot for high frame rates so I've been reasonably happy. Seeing how Blackwell and the 9000 X3D chips pan out is where I'll be looking instead.

Associate
I was conteplaiting this upgrade, but ultimately decided against it.

Reasons:
  • I mainly play non-competitive games at 1440p. Problem of low 0.1% does not bother me in practice. Unless reviewers pointed this out, I would never notice.
  • 5700x3d and 5800x3d run substantially hotter, but I only have NH-U9S for cooling. With 5600x it is mostly silent, but I suspect it will have to work hard and produce some noise with x3d chips.
  • My monitor refresh rate is 144Hz, GPU is 4070.
  • I have mini-ITX case, so will have to disassemble everything in order to change and re-paste CPU.

I agree, it looks tempting. But yeah, better off spending this money on AMD stock and getting compound returns.

Associate
I went from a 5700X to a 5700X3D. No regrets (net cost was something like £80-£90 to upgrade after selling the 5700X).

I'm on a Radeon 7900 XT @ 4K/60 and 3440x1440 @ 100 Hz, so definitely in the higher res / graphics quality and lower FPS range.

For me the 5700X3D really helped address those moments when the FPS was suddenly a let down during otherwise smooth gameplay (i.e. high population areas in Cyberpunk 2077 / TLOU / WoW), or chaotic transition-style scenes in Tekken 8 and even Rise of The Tomb Raider's in built benchmark.

I was paranoid about my 140mm AIO not being able to handle an X3D chip, but to my welcome surprise the 5700X3D ran lower wattage and lower temp than my 5700X in games. Only in something synthetic like Cinebench at 100% CPU utilization does the 5700X3D go thermonuclear, forcing my AIO to get noisy to keep it at 70C (otherwise low to mid 50C in games with the AIO fan being inaudible).

Back
Top Bottom