Upgrading Macbook pro 13 2009

Associate
Friend of mine is asking to see if he can salvage his Macbook pro 13 2009 as it's running very slow for basic word and browsing. It's running the lastest version it allows.

As I'm not too familiar with Mac OS, do they need an equivilent of CC cleaner or do they get significantly faster with a fresh OS install?

Associate
OP
Also, would it be better to simply upgrade the RAM alone? Or would an SSD bring this old machine back to feel like a new macbook?

Soldato
When I had mine, SSD and a fresh install was the game changer for how it performed, but it wouldn't hurt to throw it on 8gb memory also.

You'll need PC-8500 DDR3 if it's a Core2 based 2009 with the picky Nvidia chipset. Using faster ram will leave it unable to boot, or with flaky reliability.

Commissario
Also, OS X doesn’t tend to get bloated in the same way that Windows does so although there are tools similar to ccleaner, I really wouldn’t recommend them.

The SSD is a good call. I think that El Capitan is the latest OS that laptop will support so even if it’s running the most recent patch, I’d search for and download the 10.11.6 Combo update and install that.

Then after that, decide if it needs more RAM.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

How much RAM does it have? An SSD will make a MASSIVE difference, and costs very little (a 250GB Crucial MX500 is £70). For RAM you would want MINIMUM 4GB, but 8GB would be much better. If your friend is on a really limited budget, do the SSD first, then the RAM.

Man of Honour
An SSD upgrade would make a massive difference, as has already been said. You won’t regret it. A little bit of RAM will help as well, but no where near as much as an SSD will.

Associate
OP
I think it has 4gb ddr3 ram last time I checked. He's only using about 120 gb of his hard drive. Everything else is stock since he bought it awhile back.

Associate
OP
When I had mine, SSD and a fresh install was the game changer for how it performed, but it wouldn't hurt to throw it on 8gb memory also.

You'll need PC-8500 DDR3 if it's a Core2 based 2009 with the picky Nvidia chipset. Using faster ram will leave it unable to boot, or with flaky reliability.

Just checked now from the screenshots he sent me. It's actually a Macbook pro 13in mid 2010 running a core2duo and 2x 2gb ram running at 1067mhz.

Can't DDR3L run backwards compatitible at slower speeds?

Man of Honour
Crucial is always a safe bet, I've never had an issue with them (including MacBook's). I can't say the same for Samsung SSDs!

Soldato
Can't DDR3L run backwards compatitible at slower speeds?

It should, but I think the Nvidia chipset is just picky with memory speed, doesn't know what to do with faster memory...
Macrumors forums had a big topic about it at one stage, some people reprogramming the dimms using software (taiphoon/typhoon burner I think).

It'll take 16gb if you are willing to spend an arm and a leg on slow old memory, but on a laptop this old I wouldn't recommend.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Just checked now from the screenshots he sent me. It's actually a Macbook pro 13in mid 2010 running a core2duo and 2x 2gb ram running at 1067mhz.
Looks like that is compatible with High Sierra. SSD, RAM (less than £200 total?) and fresh install and that's a new machine right there.

Back
Top Bottom