Upgrading my PC, need some advice please.

Soldato
Hmm so the CPU I bought 4 years ago.. well, it be 4 years in June.. is still as good as what it out presently in the market ?? :confused: I thought the CPU I have had fallen behind somewhat by now. So you guys would personally wait if you had my system for a later date, i.e. nothing at all around today that would be an upgrade and not a side grade ??

And yes, I have a bad upgrade itch but if it is like a side grade as lee32uk pointed out then maybe I'll wait. Although got to admit I thought the Ryzen CPU's would trash my i7-4770K to be honest. :o

The higher the resolution then the more load on the gpu usually. As you already have a 1080 ti then no upgrade needed there.

I would hold fire for now and see what materializes later in the year (Q3/Q4) with Intel as they were supposedly launching Z390 and an 8 core i7 on mainstream platform.

Soldato
OP
Sorry for bit late reply, was not quiet expecting my 4 year CPU to still be going strong to be honest. Plus I thought this upgrade itch I been having for the last +6 month was about to come to an end, but seems I have to keep it in check for a while longer then ! :p

It has, but not by that much. And especially not that much with reference to gaming. If you were doing real work on your PC then you might well see significant improvements, but not with the tasks you list in your OP.

The only other thing I might be doing is start uploading to YouTube and maybe start streaming, but for now I am just thinking of doing it, not made a decision about it yet. It is all down to time but mostly to research and see what else be needed to do first, as in what equipment and programs one be needing.

The higher the resolution then the more load on the gpu usually. As you already have a 1080 ti then no upgrade needed there.

I would hold fire for now and see what materializes later in the year (Q3/Q4) with Intel as they were supposedly launching Z390 and an 8 core i7 on mainstream platform.

If one would "ignore" the launch of the Z390 and the 8 core i7, what would you pick now, the i7 8700K that orbitalwalsh recommended or the Ryzen 2600 that Minibiker recommended ?? Just out of curiosity. :o

Soldato
lot of steamers use two rig system , believe its been mentioned on here of finding Dell i7 non K units for £200/250 on the Bay.
slap in a Capture card and your current rig wont be effected by performance .

another line of thought

Soldato
OP
lot of steamers use two rig system , believe its been mentioned on here of finding Dell i7 non K units for £200/250 on the Bay.
slap in a Capture card and your current rig wont be effected by performance .

another line of thought
Yeah that's what I heard. Also know a YouTuber that using two rigs as well, playing on his main and recording it on the secondary if I got it right. That was what I was thinking if I do go through with it. Buying a new rig now and using my present one as the secondary, just need to buy a PSU if I decided to go through with it later though. Guess I have to think about it a bit further, or just splash out and do it anyway, we'll see what happens. :o :p

Soldato
cheap psu should do the job , low wattage .
mind the percentage of streamers using 2 PCs is in the top end of the scale- most just use capture cards with 4 core i7s to take pressure off CPU or have ryzen/8700k systems which greatly help with streaming now

Soldato
OP
Rather than 2 systems you could go i9 or Threadripper for you upgrade - more cores and ram, plenty of IO for those drives too

I guess, but even the cheapest Threadripper cost more then the Ryzen 5 and the Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 Mother Board combined, and it is only 2 more cores on that one (Although maybe 2 more cores is enough, I wouldn't know.) Not to mention the i9 is way out of my price range ! :eek:

Considering the above, it be cheaper to just buy a new PSU later if I decide to do the YouTube/Stream stuff, since I have spare GPU's I can use.. well I am presuming if I be using a second PC for the recording/streaming the GPU don't have to be a top market one.

--------------

On another note I'm still tempted to buy it all, the MB, AIO and CPU is roughly £65 cheaper over here just that I have no clue what RAM to pick since the Team Group 8Packs RAM's is not available here. Although, I could order those from OcUK if it would be the best RAM's around for a Ryzen build ??

Yeah, yeah.. I know you guys suggested for me to hold off but it almost itching as to how badly I want to do an upgrade. :o

Soldato
It's your money at the end of the day, your enjoyment , hobby, passion etc.
We can advice and on here you'll get a nice good spread of views and thoughts .
If you can get more enjoyment then frames rates, then way the hell not ... (If you got the bank aswell haha)

Soldato
OP
It's your money at the end of the day, your enjoyment , hobby, passion etc.
We can advice and on here you'll get a nice good spread of views and thoughts .
If you can get more enjoyment then frames rates, then way the hell not ... (If you got the bank aswell haha)
That is so true and the money is there in the bank. Although saying that, I wouldn't pay the price of a i9 or the Threadrippers (maybe the 1900X if there would be some major benefits for it, but it's a big maybe, especially since I can get CPU and MB for less.)

But in regards to the RAM though. Would you, or anyone else, recommend the 8Packs over any other RAM or is there other suggestions ?

Associate
That is so true and the money is there in the bank. Although saying that, I wouldn't pay the price of a i9 or the Threadrippers (maybe the 1900X if there would be some major benefits for it, but it's a big maybe, especially since I can get CPU and MB for less.)

But in regards to the RAM though. Would you, or anyone else, recommend the 8Packs over any other RAM or is there other suggestions ?
For Ryzen the (Samsung B-die) 8pack RAM could give you decent gains - as Ryzen benefits a lot from higher mhz/tighter timings, and overclocks better with B-die sticks.

Soldato
So these ones would be ok then ? Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit (F4-3200C14D-16GTZR)
Although would prefer without the RGB but picked the same MHz as you suggested for the 8Pack RAM earlier.

yes. great if you want BlackPool tower - and 8 Pack confirmed himself he'd never do RGB on his kit ! @8 Pack :D , plus he's also kind enough to lend a hand to users that are having any issues with his ram kit

I got these through my door yesterday

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £197.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

NM8jtUL.jpg

steal! but think they end sale today on it . Using in Ryzen X470 system, cant run it at that speed... but know I can with Z390 boards and get tight times for X470/B450

Soldato
OP
Thought I update this thread, if anyone interested. :p The below just arrived, just waiting for the MB, which been delayed. :rolleyes:

New Case, a 2600 Ryzen and some 3200 DDR memory (exact memory is G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8GB) / 3200MHz / DDR4 / CL14 / F4-3200C14D-16GFX (For Ryzen) ) since the 8Pack memory is not available here in Sweden, so I bought this since they specifically say it is for Ryzen. Hopefully they will work right out of the box. :o They not as low latency as 8Packs 3200 memory (his is 14-14-14-31), but they are close enough (at 14-14-14-34) so here hoping they work fine. :p

mTdK3dl.jpg

On another note, been thinking about the PSU. It is a superflower 850w but been going for 4 years and maybe I should have a new for the new build, just to be on the safe side ?? Or am I over thinking it all ?? :o

Associate
Thought I update this thread, if anyone interested. :p The below just arrived, just waiting for the MB, which been delayed. :rolleyes:

On another note, been thinking about the PSU. It is a superflower 850w but been going for 4 years and maybe I should have a new for the new build, just to be on the safe side ?? Or am I over thinking it all ?? :o

You shouldn't need to replace it that soon. But, which model is your PSU?

Soldato
Run it till it's warranty is out, if your worried the .replace :)

Looking good.. now get building ! :)

It's a damn good unit, first of its kind (first for fsp whom will.most likely roll it out to other brands and models ) - wireless free internals

Thought you'll find a big push for Focus unit on here. bit i believe you should have access to Riotoro G2 in your area.. same model, £/Euro cheaper !

Soldato
OP
Run it till it's warranty is out, if your worried the .replace :)
Gotcha, will see what I do. Problem, not sure how long the warranty is, if it is just 5yrs, can just buy a new one to be on the safe side. Ahh well, I have a tinker about it while I work tomorrow.
Looking good.. now get building ! :)
And would get building, but missing the Mother Board so slight a nag there. :p Also working tomorrow and Thursday as well, so be on Friday or Sunday I'm hoping.

Back
Top Bottom