Upgrading my PC, need some advice please.

Soldato
OP
Got a message while at work that the MB was ready to be picked up so went and did that on my way home. Was a bit like "whot?" when I was given this.

lc1OlYu.jpg

Turns out they sent the MB in a plastic bag...... :eek:

pKnCIBF.jpg

Now, not sure if this is standard if you only buying one thing from a company, since I always had a few more things ordered. But yeah, I was expecting it to arrive in a box actually. :o All seem good though, so hoping when I get the time to build it over the weekend it will all work. Actually went and ordered a beQuiet Straight Power 750W PSU earlier today, should hopefully be here on Friday sometime.

The only thing left for a later date is the beQuiet Silent Loop Superior Liquid CPU Cooler - 360mm that
@orbitalwalsh suggested earlier in this thread. Reason I not ordered it yet is the case seems to have a certain limit at the top, so wanted to get it first and check out. Also, pondering if maybe put the radiator at the front and have no fans at the top (to keep it as quiet as possible.). If I would do so, what kind of fan should I use at the back to push all hot air out of the case ?? Something quiet(ish) and bit powerful maybe ?? Or maybe pick the smaller radiator with just 2 fans ??

Soldato
OP
@TheSwede

Looking good :)

What Case did you/have you got ?

If your worried about space, Eisbaer 360 LT, has a 25mm thick rad instead of silents 30mm
This one, Fractal Design Define R6

Here is the link to their website and the case. Linky

What I am referring to is this part:
Top radiator ___ Standard layout: - 120/240/360 mm (max 35 mm motherboard component height)

Since I not been able to find any pictures of the case and a top mounted radiator, I opted not to order the beQuiet Silent Loop CPU Cooler for now. I also found a youTube video of having it front mounted which might be an alternative. Was made by a chap called Bitwit - Does Radiator Placment Matter? Hint: YES

In short, his experiment showed that it was slightly cooler to have it front mounted compared to top.

But yeah, since I wasn't sure if it would fit, top or front, I thought I get the case and all the rest first, so I can put it together and then see what space there is left.

Soldato
Ah yes, there offset outs it close to ram , so if you have any tall ram like 75% are it'll clash .
Just stick it at the front and run slightly higher fan speed to make sure GPU is feed air , or if you can add a bottom fan the even better

Soldato
OP
Actually got the PSU yesterday but was to tired to post. Considering it was ordered on Wednesday and when I checked the status in the morning it was saying Friday delivery. So was quiet surprised when I got a text while working saying it was ready to be picked up ! :eek:

5Gx0Jyj.jpg

And got this one just an hour ago, opted for same day delivery since I was off today and could be home during the hours they were due to deliver (and costed less then £4 ! ). Ended up with the Corsair instead of the beQuiet due to it had good reviews from what I could find, was also bit cheaper but mainly a 5 year warranty instead of the 3 year for the beQuiet one. Had to remove the Disk drive holder though, but had to do that for the beQuiet as well if I got that one.

PRXUnp6.jpg

Ah yes, there offset outs it close to ram , so if you have any tall ram like 75% are it'll clash .
Just stick it at the front and run slightly higher fan speed to make sure GPU is feed air , or if you can add a bottom fan the even better

Normal sized ram but still to tall, need those extra small height ram's if wanting to fit a radiator at top. So yeah, it be front suited.

I can add a bottom fan, might even be able to fit two actually. But, I am probably just gonna do one, the radiator at front and one at the back. Hopefully that will work out well, since I would prefer to not open the top if possible. If it wont be to hot it would be quieter with the top closed.

Will be keeping the fans that come with it but might change them if they seem to be to noisy, if so, what fans would be recommended ??

Hoping to put it all together on Sunday, time permitting ! :p

Soldato
OP
@TheSwede

Straight power 11 has 5 year warranty :)

Should look a sweet system though :D
Yeah, the PSU has 5 years. Was referring to the AIO cooler. :o Should probably put AIO after the Corsair/beQuiet, since I can see now why it might been misleading, plus both is making PSU and AIO as well. :p

I hope so too, the case is very easy to adjust so far for everything I checked so far, will see hot the cable management and all goes on Sunday, hopefully ! :p

Soldato
OP
Hmpf.. Finally got around to install the OP and nothing happens. Screen don't show anything from PC and the debug code is showing D2 (screen is working though, checked it on my other PC and cable is ok). Which means PCH Initialization Error. Searching for that it seem to basically mean do an RMA. I rechecked everything and it is all connected right.

@GIGA-Man @orbitalwalsh Is RMA my only option ? Using a Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming 5 board. Everything lits up and fans is spinning.

Soldato
OP
An update if anyone read the above.

After talked with them they wont do and RAM unless the bios been updated first, which I can't do since don't have another AMD CPU to use so I can do anything. Luckily a local shop can help me out for half of the price as the place I bought it from asks for doing it, and no postage cost either since I can get there and hand it in. Hopefully, it will work if they can flash the newest bios onto it, but will see in a couple days.

Soldato
OP
Another update.

The above comment turned out to go faster then I was told. They could do it straight away in the shop while I waited, which I was happy to do. They also checked once they updated the BIOS that it actually could be accessible, which was fine. Unfortunately for me I didn't get much time to work with the PC that day, and was working the day after. Did get a few hours in but turned out was a bit of a bumpy road to get Windows 7 installed on the machine but in the end I managed, as posted over inb the software forum, if anyone else interested to install Win7 on a USB 3 Mother Board, which aint as straight forward as one would like. Linky to other thread.

Thank you once again to all that come with suggestions and advice, all was very appreciated !! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom