Upgrading soundbar, worth upgrading TV at same time?

I got my Q990C delivered a few days ago and I absolutely love it. I got a FireStick 4k Max delivered today so now I can play Dolby Atmos perfectly. It's a very powerful system. I really like the design (it's not very high so doesn't cover the TV on the stand). The bass is powerful and really adds to the atmosphere, I had to turn it down to 0 or -6 for now as it's too much otherwise. Volume is super high, I don't go above 25/100. The app is actually good (tried Sonos last week and it was awful), you can control everything and it's very responsive, it has quite a lot of features too (night mode is good for watching it..at night). I got it from Richer Sounds for £880.

Dolby Atmos is super interesting to experience though, I think I am going to rewatch a lot of films purely to experience the Atmos!

This Q990C Atmos setup combined with my 4k Projector has finally completed my home theatre setup.

I was researching all kinds of setups recently, from 2:1, 5:1 to 7:1 and Atmos. I just couldn't justify spending over £1500 for a half decent setup (not even including Atmos). And all the speakers are so big that it just makes the living room look ugly and small. I would maybe go down the normal Hi-Fi route if I had a dedicated home theatre room.

You don't have to spend that much. £1200 isn't "half decent" it will pee on that Samsung soundbar for sound quality, build, upgradability , connectivity, redundancy etc

Last edited:
You don't have to spend that much. £1200 isn't "half decent" it will pee on that Samsung soundbar for sound quality, build, upgradability , connectivity, redundancy etc

I can definitely see the appeal of soundbars though. They suit some people. I live in a semi-detached house so I can't exactly play everything on super high volume or have the bass really high. So there's a middle ground. And not everyone wants big speakers around the room. But I get that you can get a better setup than a soundbar if you spend more money.

Out of curosity is there a setup that can compete with the Q990C at £880 that gives a similiar experience?

Yes. But you've bought a soundbar so what does it matter. These are quite small and not massive boxes, but decent sound.

Add a AVR, if second hand will do depending on need, ie whether you go straight into TV not needing to route video, or loop back via ARC/E-ARC, or go direct through AVR etc. If you need the whole kitchen sink, 8K, VRR, HDR, Atmos, full amp channels 7.x.4, HDMI 2.1 that means a newer spec AVR. But if you just want regular DD/DTS processing, only using coaxial/optical from source into AVR, not using HDMI AVR for video at all then you can get away with a older AVR..or even one without HDMI

Ok that Q Acoustics is "only" 5.1 but for sound and build quality it's several steps ahead, I've owned Q Acoustics and they're great value for money, and being able to place wider apart means you get superior stereo imaging. Superior CD audio sound quality, the subwoofer will be better also, plus it's a standard sub, so if you want to upgrade, downgrade, sidegrade any regular active sub will work fine.

I'd choose lower speaker count higher quality, over more speakers but lower quality any day.

tbh I would have waited until going to the audio show, it's tomorrow, then decide.

Plenty of options

Yes. But you've bought a soundbar so what does it matter. These are quite small and not massive boxes, but decent sound.

Add a AVR, if second hand will do depending on need, ie whether you go straight into TV not needing to route video, or loop back via ARC/E-ARC, or go direct through AVR etc. If you need the whole kitchen sink, 8K, VRR, HDR, Atmos, full amp channels 7.x.4, HDMI 2.1 that means a newer spec AVR. But if you just want regular DD/DTS processing, only using coaxial/optical from source into AVR, not using HDMI AVR for video at all then you can get away with a older AVR..or even one without HDMI

Ok that Q Acoustics is "only" 5.1 but for sound and build quality it's several steps ahead, I've owned Q Acoustics and they're great value for money, and being able to place wider apart means you get superior stereo imaging. Superior CD audio sound quality, the subwoofer will be better also, plus it's a standard sub, so if you want to upgrade, downgrade, sidegrade any regular active sub will work fine.

I'd choose lower speaker count higher quality, over more speakers but lower quality any day.

tbh I would have waited until going to the audio show, it's tomorrow, then decide.

Plenty of options

Sorry but the Q990C actually bests that q acoustic stuff for streaming and movie content. Audio it will still lack behind so it comes down to what is more important for the user.

Plenty of options

The soundbar is on loan at the moment, I've got a few weeks to test it out basically.

With that setup it's 5:1, so not atmos. To get Atmos you'd need to spend a few hundred £ more right on more speakers, then an AVR capable of that so that ups the price. So what cost would that be to get the Atmos equal to the soundbar? I want to see if there is a like for like Atmos setup for £880, Q990C Soundbar also acts as a basic AVR, I've got a FireStick 4k max and my PC connected to it and Dolby Atmos works great.

We'll see how it goes though. If I find it to be lacking after using it more then I'll look at other options you've mentioned. But first impressions are good.

The soundbar is on loan at the moment, I've got a few weeks to test it out basically.

With that setup it's 5:1, so not atmos. To get Atmos you'd need to spend a few hundred £ more right on more speakers, then an AVR capable of that so that ups the price. So what cost would that be to get the Atmos equal to the soundbar? I want to see if there is a like for like Atmos setup for £880, Q990C Soundbar also acts as a basic AVR, I've got a FireStick 4k max and my PC connected to it and Dolby Atmos works great.

We'll see how it goes though. If I find it to be lacking after using it more then I'll look at other options you've mentioned. But first impressions are good.

As I said I'd rather recommend a good 5.1, than a lower end Atmos.

My 9.4.4 system, if I change it to 5.1 speaker system will blow away your Samsung soundbar. Bit of a extreme example but point stands. More speakers doesn't make it better.

More speakers= higher cost
More amplifier channels = higher cost.

AVR's have more inputs, higher power, better quality amp stages, more codec support, dual HDMI out, better room correction, ability to tweak settings and room correction. If something breaks everything is standard. Ie if you bought a system I linked to, your sub blows up, I could bring my four subwoofers and it will will work with the AVR you bought. You don't have to buy the same sub, speakers, or avr again, you can mix and match.

Those Q acoustics aren't made out of plastic. They're MDF, with larger, higher quality drivers, with better quality crossovers, binding posts, with wider frequency response. They're not tiny drivers that are limited to 160hz.

There is no free lunch. Yes it will cost more.

I've tried upfirers/bouncing atmos speakers, and didn't rate them at all.

One of the cheapest 7.1.4 systems. It's also proper discrete channels, in right location, not using DSP or bouncing effect to simuate atmos. That will blow the Samsung out of the water

Just take it in your own stride mate. The 990C is a really solid device. If you've got space to run wires and multiple speakers then feel free to go down that journey but obviously you have to factor in placement of all the speakers, room shape, size, the acoustics etc and then ask yourself is it really what you want. If it's doable and not a tiny box room then definitely go for it.

I was in a similar position myself and wanted to go 5.1.4 but the wife didn't want ceiling speakers and all that side of things and we are renovating the lounge itself haha. It was basically a choice of keep the 55" tv and get a decent 5.1 system or upgrade the TV and stick with the soundbar / theatre in a box, while also keeping her happy. I went for the second choice and have ended up with a 65" Sony A95L and their new Bravia theatre quad speakers. I'm actually pretty impressed with the system and to be honest it holds its own against some entry / mid level separates systems and again you can make the sound stage as big as you like with the speaker placement as it's just 4 speakers.

Hornet will always push the AVR route with the most unrealistic expectations and never actually take into consideration what you want, so take his responses with a pinch of salt. At least your 990C exists and actually blows his CRT TV speakers out the water. Obviously I'll eat my own words as well most people on here if he ever posts a picture of it.

I went from a Yamaha 3070 with monitor audio all round and REL sub to the q990c and tbh the only things I miss are dual video out to use projector and music isn't as good, especially at lower volumes. Q990c sounds ok with atmos music on tidal tho.

I am considering getting a Denon 4800h and fitting a pair of in ceiling speakers. Yamaha amps are just too deep.

I do have real photos of my setup on here

Last edited:
I went from a Yamaha 3070 with monitor audio all round and REL sub to the q990c and tbh the only things I miss are dual video out to use projector and music isn't as good, especially at lower volumes. Q990c sounds ok with atmos music on tidal tho.

I am considering getting a Denon 4800h and fitting a pair of in ceiling speakers. Yamaha amps are just too deep.

I do have real photos of my setup on here

Read up what people say about Denon AVR's and 2ch sound quality.

4800 has support for four subs, so would be a shame not using them all haha ;-) Also Dirac additional cost license, so you can choose between two room EQ systems. Not sure if it'll use the stock mic, or need umik1 for the dirac system.

I'm planning on getting a stereo amp for front. I was looking at the Sony at first but no pre outs. Id like the onkyo rz50 but again it's huge

I'm planning on getting a stereo amp for front. I was looking at the Sony at first but no pre outs. Id like the onkyo rz50 but again it's huge

You'll need a stereo integrated/ pre amp from this list

Back
Top Bottom