• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading to Ryzen 3700x but sacrificing dual channel memory.

Soldato
Have to take back my previous advice after seeing that listing. I would send it back and paypal dispute it as item not as described.

The picture is deliberately cropped and not showing the full extent of damage.

Associate
OP
I don't think I'm going to return it. I knew what I was getting involved with, it's a risk buying off ebay sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. I've been selling and buying off eBay for 10+ years.

Most of the damage was caused by the previous user. its going to work very bad under a microscope. under the naked eye it doesn't look bad.

The pad the pin actually connects to its missing it cannot be reattached.

I don't think it his much resell value. Especially now I've had a crack at it. I wouldn't do that to somebody anyway.

I could use it in single channel. And maybe get a new ryzen 4000 series maybe in a year or so.

I would then give it to a friend, he's already interested in it.

I'm a electronics hobbyist. I've made my own pcbs, done so for a long time. I know it looks bad, it hurts my soul. Smd soldering is difficult especially when it's only meant to be done by a very expensive machine.

Associate
I don't think I'm going to return it. I knew what I was getting involved with, it's a risk buying off ebay sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. I've been selling and buying off eBay for 10+ years.

Most of the damage was caused by the previous user. its going to work very bad under a microscope. under the naked eye it doesn't look bad.

The pad the pin actually connects to its missing it cannot be reattached.

I don't think it his much resell value. Especially now I've had a crack at it. I wouldn't do that to somebody anyway.

I could use it in single channel. And maybe get a new ryzen 4000 series maybe in a year or so.

I would then give it to a friend, he's already interested in it.

I'm a electronics hobbyist. I've made my own pcbs, done so for a long time. I know it looks bad, it hurts my soul. Smd soldering is difficult especially when it's only meant to be done by a very expensive machine.

Good choice,you knew you were taking a risk and I would come to the same decision.All is not lost and single channel is not that bad.I only play PC games and have tested some single channel/dual channel with non tuned memory timings.With tuned memory timings the results would be even better for single channel.
I should redo test with Single channel 3800Mhz vs dual 3800Mhz with tuned timings.Anyway Ram used,I say get the 1x16GB and wait for AMD 4xxxx,you will not be missing anything really.Running a game at 90 FPS vs 100FPS is not noticeable.

♦ RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 at 3200mhz (F4-3200C16S-16GVK) (1x16)Timing 16-18-18-18
♦ RAM - G.Skill Trident Z 16GB DDR4 at 3200mhz (F4-4000C18D-16GTZ) (2x8) Timing 16-18-18-18
♦ RAM - G.Skill Trident Z 16GB DDR4 at 3466mhz (F4-4000C18D-16GTZ) (2x8) Timing 14-15-15-39

Chart 10 games
294538_Desktop-Screenshot-2018-12-08-11-11-27-03.png

Video of test

Man of Honour
My question is. Is it worth using this cpu as a upgrade from a 1800x but lose dual channel memory support?

I'm think of buying a single stick of 16GB DDR4 and selling my 1800x and two 8GB sticks to try and recoup some of my losses.
From what I've seen, the frequency and timings are super important with single channel, if they're really good you can get back most of the lost performance compared to running stock dual channel. I'd say the higher per-thread performance will mean it still comes out on top in games, I'm not sure how the boost clocks compare, but if they're higher that will help too. You could run some benchmarks to compare with 1800X and other 3700X. What is your usage?

Soldato

For what you bought it for, as a known working chip but with only on memory channel working, I think it'd be snapped up.
It'd have great price / performance for mining monero for example.

Soldato
You could just put it back on eBay and just be honest in your description.

"Bought as 'spares and repairs' but seller didn't disclose the use of a plasma cutter in a repair attempt. CPU runs in single channel memory perfectly fine. No other issues found from testing. Great for low-end work or mining rigs"

Associate
To answer your original question, I would prefer a 1800X with dual channel over a 3700X single channel.

It hurts bad in some games (not all). Battlefield 5 runs like ******* on single channel for example, frame rate can be literally cut in half at times.

Associate
that needs to go back for a refund, id be contacting paypal on that one and telling them about the false advertising. you can get a new 3600 for around £150 brand new if you search!

theirs a difference between taking a risk on a second hand item with an accurate description and inaccurate description legally too. :)

Soldato
If they did not disclose that level of damage then that is refund time. That is NOT a missing pin. That is somebody attempting a repair or trying to put wire in the socket and it shorting.

Soldato
At first, I thought I'd definately pay £122.11 for a single channel 3700X. It would surely destroy a dual channel 3600 in games.

But then I saw the picture. That's one hell of a botched repair job. I wouldn't even want to risk fitting it in my socket. That guy midlead you 100% with that advert. That was very deceiving and surely grounds for refund.

Soldato
Associate
Good choice,you knew you were taking a risk and I would come to the same decision.All is not lost and single channel is not that bad.I only play PC games and have tested some single channel/dual channel with non tuned memory timings.With tuned memory timings the results would be even better for single channel.
I should redo test with Single channel 3800Mhz vs dual 3800Mhz with tuned timings.Anyway Ram used,I say get the 1x16GB and wait for AMD 4xxxx,you will not be missing anything really.Running a game at 90 FPS vs 100FPS is not noticeable.

Great post thanks.
Do you have any data on what the performance drop would be for using 2 x 8Gb (3200 MHz) in non-optimal slots, like B1 and A1 pairing?

Back
Top Bottom