UPS for BT Hub

Associate
A 240v UPS just to run a router in case of a power cut is a bit over the top. Can anyone recommend a reliable 12v DC UPS to keep my BT Hub going for a few hours? BT's own offerings seem rather expensive.

I have a BT digital voice line which I get free (or at no extra charge) with my FTTC contract, but I don't use the number. For years I have used Seimens Gigasnet with Sipgate accounts. It would be useful to run the Gigasnet DECT base unit from the same UPS.

I have seen the

ZOUD For Camera Router Mini Uninterruptible Backup Battery 12V 2A​

at that big river place.
Is that the sort of bix I should be looking for? Any suggestions.

Man of Honour
IIRC the Eaton unit doesn't have the correct barrel connector in the box for the BT equipment (at least the FTTP ONT). I've just picked up one of those Eaton units for a setup I've got going if anyone has any questions albeit not much to it. Shame it doesn't support USB shutdown (though not required for its primary purpose) and the battery capacity is relatively low - I'll probably upgrade mine with a pair of 4000mah Samsung batteries rather than the stock pair of 2200mah.

According to user comments:

"However infuriatingly the BT Smart Hub uses a rare 5.5 x 3mm plug for its 12V input and Eaton does not provide this so I had to order this adaptor set:"

One of the advantages with the Eaton unit is they are designed professionally - some of the cheap generic units are a potential fire risk in unattended long term use.

Soldato
IIRC the Eaton unit doesn't have the correct barrel connector in the box for the BT equipment (at least the FTTP ONT). I've just picked up one of those Eaton units for a setup I've got going if anyone has any questions albeit not much to it. Shame it doesn't support USB shutdown (though not required for its primary purpose) and the battery capacity is relatively low - I'll probably upgrade mine with a pair of 4000mah Samsung batteries rather than the stock pair of 2200mah.

According to user comments:

"However infuriatingly the BT Smart Hub uses a rare 5.5 x 3mm plug for its 12V input and Eaton does not provide this so I had to order this adaptor set:"

One of the advantages with the Eaton unit is they are designed professionally - some of the cheap generic units are a potential fire risk in unattended long term use.

What do I have to order to make it work with BT ONT?

Caporegime
That Eaton box with 50% more battery capacity and two outputs that can run at different voltages would be perfect.

Man of Honour
That Eaton box with 50% more battery capacity and two outputs that can run at different voltages would be perfect.

Yeah it is kind of weird they didn't make something more like that - I'm not sure what batteries they use other than being a pair of 2200mah I'm assuming run of the mill 18650s but you can get modern lithium iron phosphate batteries now which provide ~50% more capacity in the same footprint, better charge cycles, better safety or newer 18650s with 4000mah in the same footprint.

Combined with multiple outputs and a USB monitoring and shutdown option it would make for a solid offering.

Associate
OP
I emailed CPC Farnell about a 5.5 x 3mm barrel connector.

They suggested their part number CN05727 but this is 6.3 x 3mm.

Perhaps someone would check my reading of the stock - search on CPC Farnell, then on CN05727

As far as I can see the only 5.5mm barrel they have has a 2.5mm internal dimension.

I guess this is about BT making it as difficult as possible to use other hardware!

Man of Honour
I can't say whether it is the best option but this is what people are linking on Amazon for adapters for compatibility with the BT equipment:

EDIT: Googling it I'm getting conflicting information so probably various BT equipment uses different size barrel connectors :( dunno why everyone can't just use a standard size.

EDIT2: Apparently 6.3 x 3mm will work on all, but it is a tight fit on some BT devices - 5.5 x 3mm is what they use mostly.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah it is kind of weird they didn't make something more like that - I'm not sure what batteries they use other than being a pair of 2200mah I'm assuming run of the mill 18650s but you can get modern lithium iron phosphate batteries now which provide ~50% more capacity in the same footprint, better charge cycles, better safety or newer 18650s with 4000mah in the same footprint.

Combined with multiple outputs and a USB monitoring and shutdown option it would make for a solid offering.
Adding monitoring would probably push it north of £100, I'm not hugely fussed about that really. I can monitor for power outages other ways.

Man of Honour
Adding monitoring would probably push it north of £100, I'm not hugely fussed about that really. I can monitor for power outages other ways.

Probably in the real world it would push it north of £100 which puts it into odd territory with this kind of device, but the kind of microprocessor required is pretty cheap and most of the software side available off the shelf with little development required.

Man of Honour
Setup where I'm using it:

RX2Pm0G.png

Probably neaten it up and integrate into a rack mount at some point.

At some point will DIY a USB shutdown capability but it is more for smoothing over transient power events, which aren't entirely uncommon, in a rural location than to deal with power cuts which fortunately are more rare.

Man of Honour
The Eaton UPS is currently on a Prime Day deal with 20% discount - for those who have Prime and might be thinking about buying.

Soldato
Just use a standard extension cord with female IEC connector and break out that way, yes you end up with a bunch of power adapters plugged into it, but it works and allows you to use your primary UPS for the job. Be warned, in the event of a longer power cut, the cabinet batteries will go flat as will the mast set-up and you're left dark anyway... I found this out the hard way.

Back
Top Bottom