US Open 2018

Associate
Now that Wimbledon 2018 is history, it's time for the final slam of the year. 1 slam for each of the top contenders and the last one for grabs. Predictions after the draw :)

Soldato
There really ought to be a tennis thread on this forum. There's one for golf, boxing, MMA, gym, cricket, snow sports, etc. It seems odd there isn't a tennis one.

Associate
I agree. Tennis must be a top priority.

Fixed.

Full coverage of event on Prime, which is great. Finally able to get some use out of the Video side of the membership package. The've got full ATP Masters coverage next year too. I'm delighted!

Associate
Time for someone born in the 90s to finally grab it?

Unlikely, I mean who?

Zverev? Kyrgios? Thiem? Shapavalov?

They're good players but their levels are absolutely nowhere near (certainly not on a consistent basis) of those of the big 3, arguably the 3 greatest players of all time.

Nadal and Djokovic are both in exceptional form right now, one of them should win Toronto, even then Cilic or Del Potro would be next favourites.

Associate
Nadal wins a record 33rd Masters 1000. 40-3 overall match record this year, one of those 3 defeats was to Cilic in the Aus Open when he was injured, another was Thiem when he was knackered, and to Djokovic indoors which he very nearly won. Really is in the form of his life right now.

The only problem with Nadal is we know he's injury prone, and his schedule and commitment to play in everything (he's planning to play Davis Cup this year), one feels he could pull an Andy Murray and blow up at some point trying desperately hard to accumulate as many weeks as he can at number 1.

Soldato
I'm hoping Stan gets into the second week at least. He's making a slow return to form and whilst he lost in straights to Nadal the other week at Cincinnati he was playing some VERY good tennis and the scoreline didn't really reflect the game.
When he's on he's one of the most entertaining players on the circuit.
As far as new blood winning a slam? No.. not yet. They all seem to be mentally frail when it comes to the big stage unfortunately.

Permabanned
I'm hoping Stan gets into the second week at least. He's making a slow return to form and whilst he lost in straights to Nadal the other week at Cincinnati he was playing some VERY good tennis and the scoreline didn't really reflect the game.
When he's on he's one of the most entertaining players on the circuit.
As far as new blood winning a slam? No.. not yet. They all seem to be mentally frail when it comes to the big stage unfortunately.

Nadal didn't attend Cincinnati. Maybe before then in Canada?

Back
Top Bottom