US Open 2018

Soldato
Some interesting results for sure.

Really wish Kyrios would sort his head out as the amount of natural ability and talent he has is incredible. Seems happy to squander it though!

Unfortunate Stan didn't put up more of a fight against Raonic as personally I find him to be the least entertaining player to watch on the tour.

Zverev failing is no surprise - he never does well at slams despite his ranking.

Would love to see a Del Potro / Federer final but have a feeling its going to be Nadal / Djokovic

Caporegime
He completely lost his nut in the second set after arguing with someone about his serve.

He also said he knew he needed a coach a few times during the match so hopefully he'll finally take that on board. I get the impression he's just happy playing tennis and would rather not put in the extra work to take the next step though.

I'm hoping Del Potro takes it tbh.

Associate
I'm really surprised the younger generation haven't reached more semi-finals or later in Slams. Thiem is the only exception but he's still an incomplete player, enters too many tournaments and still can't quite get the balance right between risk and percentage play. Still, Nadal hasn't been convincing so far so he may have a chance. At one point Dimitrov looked like he would become a contender but has fallen away again mentally. Zverev still can't do it at slams and Kyrgios doesn't seem to care enough. If anything it could be the likes of Tsitsipas, Coric and Shapovalov that could break through when Fed's retired and Nadal and Djokovic are in their twilight years.

I'd love to see Del Potro win the tournament. He's played very well and spent very little time on court so at least he'll be fresh against Isner. Beyond that unless Nadal improves he could reach the final where he'd have a chance against Federer but very little against Djokovic who has always been a bad matchup for him.

Permabanned
Federer finished for this year's tournament, while Djokovic impresses with masterclass and some 5th gear tennis in the decisive moments. :eek:

Caporegime
I'm sure they said it'll be worse tomorrow but not sure if that's the heat or humidity.

I struggled over two sets earlier in the summer when it was in the high 20's so I can only imagine what 33 degree heat with crazy humidity is like to play in, especially at the intensity they play at.

Permabanned
The humidity is a problem. If the heat is accompanied with low humidity, like in deserts, it is better. The same with dry cold...

Associate
Nadal v Delpo awesomeness soon! A repeat of the epic Wimbledon QF. I hope it's as good because that was one helluva match!

Caporegime
Not looking good for Rafa, his match against Thiem seems to have aggravated his knee injury again and he's visibly slower tonight.

Wouldn't mind seeing him retire if it meant Del Potro went in to the final fresh and smashed Djokovic.

Edit: And it's over. Gutted for Rafa, made up for Del Potro.

Last edited:
Associate
Gutted, but what a legend. As above, the Thiem match was brutal for Nadal and no doubt took it's toll. Happy for Delpo though. He deserves his moment in the sun. Can't see him getting through Novak, but he'll make it a good fight.

Associate
Anyone else really impressed with Connors' commentary? I'm loving it. Of course Frew McMillan remains the best though.

Team Osaka tonight. A double Bagel should do it!

Edit: No Bagel but on for a possible 6-1 first set. Osaka is my new hero. So much grace and composure for someone her age and relative inexperience. Her game is amazing. She looks too slight to be hitting the ball this hard! Kinda reminds me of Steffi Graf in her dominant era.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom