US Open Tennis 2016 (Spoilers)

Man of Honour
This is getting faintly ridiculous, it might be that I just don't know my tennis history well enough but has anyone in recent memory had quite such an easy ride in terms of retirements/walkovers?

Still I hope that Tsonga recovers quickly and good luck to Murray in his match vs Nishikori later today.

Soldato
Wimbledon a few years back had loads of retirements but I've never seen one player get such a free pass through to the semis.

This is getting faintly ridiculous, it might be that I just don't know my tennis history well enough but has anyone in recent memory had quite such an easy ride in terms of retirements/walkovers?

Still I hope that Tsonga recovers quickly and good luck to Murray in his match vs Nishikori later today.

At the "end" of his own 4th round, Djokovic himself said something along the lines of he cant even remember anyone getting a 2nd bye due to injury.

That was even before Tsonga retired last night - so its definitely becoming highly unusual for one player to benefit so much in one Open.

Obviously there are going to be tournements where a lot of the field retire etc but usually doesnt majorly benefit one player.

edit - it wasnt as specific as I thought at the end of his 3rd round match vs Youzhny “It’s difficult to pick the words now. I don’t think I’ve ever had this situation – a second round walkover and 30 minutes only in the third round."

The other interesting thing about the NY Open is how the draw itself has happened - ie look at Djokovic's draw (Tsonga , seeded 9th) in the 1/4rs followed by Monfils (seeded 10th) in the Semi's

Murray has Nishikori (seeded 6th ) in the 1/4rs followed by most likely Wawrinka (seeded 3rd) in the semi. Even if Del Potro wins the other 1/4 , he is only not seeded because of historical wrist injuries, think its fair to say he is really a top 5 player from skill point of view.

Quite a significant difference in the last stages of the draw. Of course the top seed SHOULD get a better draw, but it seems to benefit Djokovic a lot more frequently than Murray's side in recent Open draws

Last edited:
Soldato
If it keeps going like this Djok could end up the final playing hardly any tennis. Good from a fitness point of view but hardly ideal for him in terms of match sharpness / having established a winning rhythm. Hopefully the Murray that destroyed the other night keeps turning up.

Soldato
If it keeps going like this Djok could end up the final playing hardly any tennis. Good from a fitness point of view but hardly ideal for him in terms of match sharpness / having established a winning rhythm. Hopefully the Murray that destroyed the other night keeps turning up.

Sharpness would come relatively quickly though for a player at that level - well within the 1st set surely?

Over a likely 5 setter, the fitness is going to make a bigger difference than the sharpness or lack thereof at the start.

Soldato
Not sure it's going to be of benefit to Djok, this.

He's into the Semis without really knowing how well he's playing. Monfils is so erratic that he could be in the final without really knowing too.

As long as Murray doesn't have big 5 set matches in his next two round, and assuming he wins, he should be in batter shape for the final.

Soldato
I see him beating Nishikori comfortably but the Del Potro match will probably be a battle, like the Olympics. So if Djokovic and Murray both get to the final Djokovic will be the less tired player but he still has a couple of injury niggles so we'll see what happens there when Murray pushes.

I'm still going for a Murray win as he's as fit as a butchers dog but his semi and then the final will take a huge effort.

The new roof on that main court is strange the way it makes sound travel, it sounds like everyone in the place is constantly talking/muttering away, it sounds like you can hear trains going past sometimes too. I would find that really distracting.

Not a fan of all the fluorescent coloured clothing most of them are wearing either, much prefer plain white or the plain black Murray wears.

Man of Honour
If, and it's a big if, Murray and Djokovic get through to the final then I wonder what odds you'd get on Djokovic retiring in the final. And in that scenario would people say that Murray got lucky to claim the US Open while conveniently ignoring the retirements that Djokovic benefited from?

Regardless I'm hoping for no more injury retirements but just a passing thought about how such things are viewed.

Caporegime
OP
Good start for Murray, 6-1 in 35 minutes but Nishikori had a lot of break points he couldn't convert so the match is a lot closer than the first set scoreline suggests.

Edit: Second set Nishikori 6-4.

Edit: Third set Murray 6-4. Really tough match for both players with plenty of breaks. Murray's serve has dropped off massively since the last round.

Edit: Murray's head has gone again, currently 5-1 in the 4th and not fun to watch. Murray is Nishikori's bitch at the moment.

Edit: 6-1 and 2 sets all. Had a meltdown at 1-1 and barely won a point for the rest of the set. Honestly needs a psychiatrist rather than a coach.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Simple let call at 1-1 and he's acted like a teenager ever since. It's truly embarrassing watching him self implode at times and it'll be the reason he only ends up with 3 or 4 slam wins rather than 10 or more. I actually want to punch him through my TV I'm so angry.

Soldato
No, but of the top 10 Kei's is certainly the weakest. 5-3 and on the brink.

Well it looked like 5-3 but Murray"s fought back from 40-0 down to deuce..

WOW Murray breaks from 40-0 down!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom