[USA guns ahoy] Bill Proposed That Will Allow Teachers To Carry Guns In Schools

Soldato
Realistically would you be able to grab your gun, find the shooter and then hit him in the short time span and envirnoment, surely so many pupils around that your likely to hit another pupil. There is not really an answer. Main answer at least is to ban semi auto weapons to under 25's.

Soldato
If those who want to carry are given some training by the authorities, above them just going to the range and shooting paper a few times a week, then I can't see a problem with it.

Commissario
If those who want to carry are given some training by the authorities, above them just going to the range and shooting paper a few times a week, then I can't see a problem with it.
Well, apart from when the police arrive and shoot the teacher because he's got a gun...
Or when the teacher (who would not have been expecting to deal with a gunman) aims hastily and shoots the wrong person/misses completely.

It was only a few weeks/couple of months back that someone pulled a gun in a church and a teenager managed to disarm the guy, then got shot when the police arrived a few minutes later because they walked through the door and saw a gun.

The entire fallacy of a "armed citizens shooting attackers" is completely forgetting that the people being attacked will (no matter how well trained) be suffering from some level of initial confusion, and that it tends to take a lot more than a few training sessions to get someone to be good enough to respond fast in an unexpected situation, let alone the hesitation most people will have when it comes to actually opening fire at another human being.
It's one of the reasons the idea that having a gun in your purse/pocket will help in a mugging is so silly, the attacker will typically be expecting resistance and far more prepared than someone who up until a few seconds earlier was going through their normal boring daily life.

And given the level of training common in US police forces when it comes to firearms handling, I can't see the teachers getting much better...

They'd do better putting armour on every internal wall and door in the school, as the current "hide in a room and close the door" is better than nothing but given how common plasterboard type walls are for internal partitions it does nothing to stop someone firing at random, or a shot that misses passing through a wall and hitting someone on the other side of the wall.

Soldato
The problem with this is that for the teacher to shoot the bad guy, that bad guy still has to have killed at least one person. Probably more due to the aforementioned confusion.
However, ban guns and no-one has to die.

If you absolutely must fire assault weapons then just do it at a gun club. But that'll never fly in the US.

Soldato
I do hope they get training in snappy one liners as well. I mean if we're going down the kindergarten cop/absurdist buddy cop film route then I at least want the headshot to be followed by something along the line of "Class dismissed" or "I told you, no running in the halls".

On a serious note this is bobbins, when it gets to the stage that you're arming teachers stop asking yourself how you defend against school shootings and instead ask why you have so many school shootings.

Associate
Arming everyone also brings up the point that even if you have a gun would you use it,how many folk on here can honestly say they would shoot to kill someone.
I would, heck i would take lists from folk.

Back
Top Bottom