Used car woes

Permabanned
Bought a car from a garage in Warrington for the wife.
Went to see it looked ok, airbag light on sales guy said will be sorted and car will be serviced.

Wife picked car up and none of these have been completed.

Also today the roof goes down and would not come up. Rang the garage and took it over. Said they are fully booked until Tuesday and to bring it back then.

They managed to get the roof back up so thought ok will fetch it Tuesday next week and hopefully it will all get sorted.

However after reading the reviews online it seems they have a habit of making promises to fix and hardly ever doing so..

So let's say they don't repair the car. Is it within 30 days I can reject the car ?

Oh by the way we've only had the car 24hrs

Last edited:
Soldato
I know this isn’t exactly helping but did you not google the company before buying from them? Even Autotrader has a good review system now when you click on a car for sale and has the traders name it has how many out of 5 they have been rated from other buyers. Same with eBay motors and the feedback system. There’s no excuse to buy from cowboy sellers in this day and age when Google is a click away.
When they said bring it back Tuesday you should have just said I’m rejecting the car and left it with them.

Permabanned
OP
So according to the 30 days I can reject it.
I will take it on Tuesday and give them a chance to repair it even though I don't have too.

If it does not get repaired I will put in a letter my reason and grounds for rejection and request the refund within 14 days or I will take them to a small claims court.

Does that sound about right ?

Soldato
They have this apparently bad reputation and you’re going to left them fix an airbag fault? They'll probably just take the bulb out.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don’t understand this...why would you (or anyone for that matter) buy a car from a dealer when it has any airbag light on?

Is it some ultra rare exotic and there are only a handful to choose from?

This. If the faults hadn’t been fixed why did you even go ahead. When I got my Accord I listed things I wanted fixed, went to collect it and only some where so I walked away with the dealer chasing me, a week later everything was sorted but if it hadn’t I would have walked away.

Permabanned
OP
Well if it don't get sorted on Tuesday and the roof fully functional I will have the rejection letter ready to hand them.. I will give them a chance first. They don't have a leg to stand on if they do not comply.

Soldato
Well if it don't get sorted on Tuesday and the roof fully functional I will have the rejection letter ready to hand them.. I will give them a chance first. They don't have a leg to stand on if they do not comply.
Problem is, they could take 14 days to respond. You then have to write them a letter of intent and post it recorded delivery. They then have 14 days to respond to that. If not you can then start small claims proceedings. Which can take 30 days to complete. Then they have a further time to actually comply with the ruling.

If they choose too, it could be 6 months before you see any money back.

Soldato
Doubt they'll refund it; get ready for a small claims case.

Airbag light is the big one for me, that's potentially not fit for purpose but you need full diagnosis before proceeding with right to reject - this is critical.

Did you pay any part of it on credit card? Even just a deposit?

Soldato
Problem is, they could take 14 days to respond. You then have to write them a letter of intent and post it recorded delivery. They then have 14 days to respond to that. If not you can then start small claims proceedings. Which can take 30 days to complete. Then they have a further time to actually comply with the ruling.

If they choose too, it could be 6 months before you see any money back.

Probably 12 months including court delays and other paperwork submission and payment/bailiff time frames.

Soldato
Probably 12 months including court delays and other paperwork submission time frames.
Heck, it could be never. Like my case. The dealer shut up shop, reopened a month later on the same premises with a new name. They went from JRC Autos to JAC Autos. And there was nowt I could do!

Soldato
Heck, it could be never. Like my case. The dealer shut up shop, reopened a month later on the same premises with a new name. They went from JRC Autos to JAC Autos. And there was nowt I could do!

Very true. Even if they don't change name they could just accept the ccj and carry on as normal, put all assets in another name etc. I think if it's over £6k you could request insolvency but again they can shut up shop.

Did you end up keeping the car then? I think I may have to.

Soldato
Very true. Even if they don't change name they could just accept the ccj and carry on as normal, put all assets in another name etc. I think if it's over £6k you could request insolvency but again they can shut up shop.

Did you end up keeping the car then? I think I may have to.

I fixed it myself, cost me a fortune. I kept it for 18 months then sold it on as normal.

Associate
From reading these stories, I would never pay for anything substantial by any method other than credit card in the future, as said above even if you paid a £1 token sum by CC, if the total purchase value is over £100 you have Section 50 (I think?) protection which makes the card provider equally liable to refund you the full amount, who then use legal channels to claim the money back from the retailer.

Back
Top Bottom