• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Users with Intel Xeon W-3175X.

Soldato
So both TR and also that Xeon-W both have ECC support are both workstation grade chips, the xeon-w is not a server grade chip and you wont find them in the server room. The W literally stands for workstation, the server version of the chip would likely be the Xeon Platinum 8176. I still don't understand the metrics based around your comment, if everything supports ECC on a server grade socket with server grade memory we just end up back to this expectation but once again backed up by zero metrics... So ill ask again what are the metrics? where is any proof that the Xeon platform is more stable than the TRX40?

Let me save you the effort, it isn't and the metrics don't exist. However, i'm open to somebody coming along and trying to prove this.

I was just trying to offer an explanation for the comments,

Do the metrics add up probably not and even if they did it would probably be minor percentages while testing thousands or 10's of thousands of chips over years.

Id expect a £100,000 ferrari to be faster than a 50k bmw, real world millage will vary though. I did say I wouldnt expect any modern chip to be crap though

Man of Honour
I was just trying to offer an explanation for the comments,

Do the metrics add up probably not and even if they did it would probably be minor percentages while testing thousands or 10's of thousands of chips over years.

Id expect a £100,000 ferrari to be faster than a 50k bmw, real world millage will vary though. I did say I wouldnt expect any modern chip to be crap though

Don't think any of that was directed at you matey, more directed in general at anybody reading :) Perhaps there is something in it and somebody will come in and smash out some stats :)

Associate
OP
Well, if you want to use a quad channel 104gb/s 70ns+ infinity fabric limited high intercore latency non-existent 512, incomplete 256 w/o 256 bit data paths, registers & just doubling 128, you do you, it's a good budget 3d rendering processor, however it's far from ideal, it doesn't beat the xeon at same clockspeeds in multicore performance, nor memory bound application.

This was a W-3175X thread, not a handmidown Epyc thread.

I'm not saying the 3970X is bad, I'm just saying it's far from Xeon quality.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Of course it is, nobody else is daft enough to argue a use case so small on something that antiquated lol
I was just curious if anyone else on overclockers had the cpu and wanted to share OC's or summin but nah, people just wanna talk about their ryzen processors instead.

Back
Top Bottom