Using a stereo amp for movies

Man of Honour
not so missile shaped ....
Odd phrase. Quite bizarre. Even Google is stumped.

a hell of as lot more detail ... you know the saying once you stop learning ... google that
Detail, yes, which you seem to need, but we don't.

You see, those of us who need to know, already know it. Those who don't need to know won't read. That leaves just you playing catch-up because you're chatting as if you think you're up-to-speed but really you're out of your depth at the moment.

if you read it you know an exception was listed ... was curious if you'd read it
I did read out of courtesy, and yes, I noted the exception. The difference between you and me is that I understood the context of the exception. I also understood how that would apply, or more specifically how is doesn't apply in @TALON1973's case. I suspect you didn't.

This is getting rather boring. Unless @TALON1973 has any new questions, I think everything that needs to be said regarding the technicalities of amp choice between his sources and speakers has been covered.

You've nothing interesting to say within this topic, and as far I can tell, you're no longer adding anything to the discussion. Instead, you appear to have taken to throwing dud hand grenades into the thread. Is that because you're frustrated at your own lack of knowledge, and further frustrated that you're unable to make good on the points you hoped would prove you right?

I've given you time and paid you the courtesy of acknowledging those useful points you have made. Maybe that was my mistake, and you're really here for your own self-aggrandisement rather than to help the OP in their quest? Whatever it is you now appear to be doing, personally, I find it disrespectful to @TALON1973 that you keep trying to derail the thread with pointless arguments, and I feel it's not in the spirit of the forum. This is only my opinion, but if I was you I'd have a word with myself and get your head straight.

If that won't work, and it's your ego that won't get out of the way because you feel you have to "win" the thread, then here; here's 1,000,000 points. You win. Happy now? Can we get back to what this forum should be about which is helping people with their queries?

Soldato
It may well do, but how is 6ch analogue line-level bass management processor designed for SACD and DVD-audio players relevant to the OPs requirements?

Because it may solve the issue at hand, as it does have a lfe mix feature. So if he can send multi channel it may mix in lfe into mains without discarding, then send that to 2ch amp.

Soldato
OP
I'd like to thank all those that have contributed to this thread. Much appreciated.

I think I'm going down the Onkyo TX-L20D route. While I have extra speakers that I won't be using I quite like what the onkyo does. And has things I hadn't really considered as options before.

Man of Honour
I'd like to thank all those that have contributed to this thread. Much appreciated.

I think I'm going down the Onkyo TX-L20D route. While I have extra speakers that I won't be using I quite like what the onkyo does. And has things I hadn't really considered as options before.
Glad you were able to come to a decision. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy it.

Man of Honour
Because it may solve the issue at hand, as it does have a lfe mix feature. So if he can send multi channel it may mix in lfe into mains without discarding, then send that to 2ch amp.

Only if the sources all have 6ch analogue out, and the AV receiver has 6ch analogue in, or he's using a pre-amp/AV receiver with 6ch analogue pre-outs to a bunch of power amps. NONE of this is remotely possible with the source equipment that @TALON1973 listed, or in the anticipated hardware budget.

I'm risking a lot by saying something about this, so I want you to know that it's not a decision I've taken lightly or without being very aware of the potential consequences: I'm really surprised and disappointed by the attitudes of you and @jpaul in this thread. You both seemed determined to come up with convoluted and contrived ways to make something quite simple in to something extraordinarily complicated. What happened? Are you both that bored during lockdown? Some of it is, IMO, borderline trolling. I hope that this isn't going to continue.

The fact that @TALON1973 has stuck with this thread so long is a credit to him. I'd like to thank him for his fortitude.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
But not relevant to the OP's enquiry unless you know for sure that they own a 4K player with 6ch out.

Lots of things are possible in theory, but let's try to stick with the practical when dealing with enquiries unless an OP requests otherwise.

Soldato
OP
But not relevant to the OP's enquiry unless you know for sure that they own a 4K player with 6ch out.

Lots of things are possible in theory, but let's try to stick with the practical when dealing with enquiries unless an OP requests otherwise.

you missed my post before you lucid.... I do have the panny ub820 ... although tbh as I wasn’t thinking 5.1 I never mentioned it. And as it’s been so long since I had 5.1 I forgot the ub820 has the outputs .

Man of Honour
you missed my post before you lucid.... I do have the panny ub820 ... although tbh as I wasn’t thinking 5.1 I never mentioned it. And as it’s been so long since I had 5.1 I forgot the ub820 has the outputs .
Lol... Sod's Law. You must have posted after I started a reply to @hornetstinger

Is this the first time you've mentioned a model number for a 4K disc player? Unless the a previous post has been edited, I don't recall seeing any mention of a UHD Blu-ray player in this thread until now. There was reference to a '4K' (something undefined) when you mentioned the Apple TV.

Out of interest, would you have considered spending £130-£250 for a used Outlaw ICBMon top of the cost of a stereo amplifier?

Soldato
OP
Lol sorry. My entire av side is 4k viewing wise... I just don't have 5.1.

And in regards your 2nd part.... I need to read this all again as I skimmed most of it. Too much booze being off... I'll have a proper read when I wake up.

Soldato
ICBM aren't common over here. I used.it as high pass between pre and power.

But if it can function to remix in the lfe that would otherwise be discarded maybe uwrufl for someone who doesn't want a avr but wants to retain lfe

Man of Honour
ICBM aren't common over here. I used.it as high pass between pre and power.

But if it can function to remix in the lfe that would otherwise be discarded maybe uwrufl for someone who doesn't want a avr but wants to retain lfe

None of what you've written here is in dispute. It's more a question of whether it's actually needed.

What's in the LFE channel that warrants the cost and effort of saving it for replay in a stereo-only system.

"Is it...
... dialogue?"
No
... deep music notes?" No
... the bangs, thuds and crashes from an action film?" No

"So we still get all of that even if LFE is discarded?" Yes

"So what's in LFE if it's not any of that stuff?" It's something to make those bangs, thuds and crashes sound a bit deeper and louder.

"Hang on, if I discard the LFE I still hear the T-Rex stomping about, and my floor still shakes?" Yes
"But if I keep it, my floor shakes a little bit more. Is that right?"
Yes, if your sub is up to the job.

"But I can only use this with my 4K UHD player?"
That's right
"Not any source with only a HDMI out?"
Correct
"Or my apps on the TV?" Again, correct.

"And I need an extra box and whole bunch of extra cables?"
Yes
"How many cables?"
In your case, eight plus a mains lead.
"And I can only buy one of these used, not new?"
Yes, that's right
"You want me to spend how much for this?"

There's a reason ICBMs aren't common here. When they were in production in the States at the turn of the millennium, they were still a niche application product even for their home market in the US. That doesn't mean they weren't good, or useful at the time; neither of those things are in dispute. It's just that relatively few people would go to the lengths required to warrant the purchase of an ICBM.

Fast-forward 20 years and things have moved even further away from the requirement. That's why you can't buy an ICBM new any more.

Soldato
He/Talon is going to benfit from LFE, being decoded and mixed in, anyway, with his judicious choice of Onkyo TX-L20D...
hdmi in , dts decoder, 2.1 and it's manual says he does

Man of Honour
He/Talon is going to benfit from LFE, being decoded and mixed in, anyway, with his judicious choice of Onkyo TX-L20D...
hdmi in , dts decoder, 2.1 and it's manual says he does
Just as he would have done with an AV amp/AV receiver configured to drive a 2.1 speaker package. In effect, that's what the Onkyo TX-L20D is; it's av AV receiver but missing the centre and surround channels.

There are options for speaker configurations and what to do with the LFE channel just exactly as there would be with an AV receiver. It goes further too, with the acknowledgement that there'll be times when having the LFE just makes bass too damned loud, and so they provide the option of reducing or eliminating it completely. You don't get any of that with a normal stereo-only amp (with or without a stereo DAC). IOW, if LFE was retained in a stereo-only system, which is what you thought should happen, then without this facility to change its level the owner would find some content overbearing during action sequences; hence the reason why LFE is normally dropped in a downmix destined for ordinary stereo-only replay.

None of the above changes the fact though that there's nothing in the LFE channel that's essential to a stereo downmix, and there are times that retaining it can cause some serious listening problems.

Soldato
Just placed some rear speakers in the avr pc audio rig, might as well use them as just sitting around unused.

If I had a stereo won't have that choice, so for TV series and dvd more immersive with surround material

Soldato
OP
Well first impressions..... Are not good.

The hdmi arc, going by what I can work out ONLY works with all things connected to the HDMI INS.

If you use the built in TV tuner and streaming apps it works. But I was kind of hoping it would work the same as the sonos beam, with the beam doing arc to the tv and everything else just connecting as normal via hdmi to tv.

Now unless I'm missing something, that won't work. Anybody got suggestions?

Also when I connect my panny ub820 the lip sync is out, and also the onkyo only does hdr... So I lose Dolby vision.

If I can get the onkyo to just work with sound I'll keep it. Will try just using optical to see if that works.

Frustrated atm.

Man of Honour
The manual says that the ARC functions the same way as your Beam i.e. the sound from HDMI sources to your TV gets passed to the TX-L20D. There are a couple of things to check. First, your TV is ARC compatible; which given what you said about the Beam should certainly be the case. Second, that HDMI CEC (HDMI control) is switched on in both the TV and the Onkyo. The default value is OFF with the Onkyo out of the box.

HDMI CEC should also fix the lip sync issue with the Panny. Make sure CEC / VieraLink is enabled in the Panny too.

Did you check - or did someone who made the recommendation say - that the set had Dolby Vision?

Soldato
OP
The manual says that the ARC functions the same way as your Beam i.e. the sound from HDMI sources to your TV gets passed to the TX-L20D. There are a couple of things to check. First, your TV is ARC compatible; which given what you said about the Beam should certainly be the case. Second, that HDMI CEC (HDMI control) is switched on in both the TV and the Onkyo. The default value is OFF with the Onkyo out of the box.

HDMI CEC should also fix the lip sync issue with the Panny. Make sure CEC / VieraLink is enabled in the Panny too.

Did you check - or did someone who made the recommendation say - that the set had Dolby Vision?

Nobody recommended the onkyo I picked it myself. But I primarily hoping to have the same easy setup as discussed via hdmi arc as Sonos. I would only use the Xbox one x in the onkyo at push as all my other devices do DV .

I’ve just tried doing optical from tv to the optical on the onkyo and using The panny as normal ....hdmi from player to tv.. The sound issue is fixed... although this is a slight faff as I’m now using yet another remote for sound.

i’ll retry The hdmi arc with settings you suggested Lucid... Although how do I change my other devices ? Apple TV being one of them.

Back
Top Bottom