Using all SATA ports but want to upgrade storage without trouble…Brainteaser

Associate
I have a Tomahawk Max motherboard with 6 SATA ports and I would like to create more (SSD) storage space while downsizing the amount of drives.
This is a breakdown of what is occupying them (not in correct order of ports)

1. 256mb SSD (Windows and fast loading software/gamesl
  2. 256mb SSD (game libraries)
  3. 4TB HDD (installed software and user/game libraries)
  4. 1TB HDD (Storage, nothing ‘installed’)
  5. 1TB HDD (Storage, nothing ‘installed’)
  6. DVD DRIVE
harddrives.jpg

My problem is I end up having to move games between the HDDs and SSDs because the SSDs aren't big enough to house the games I want. This occured when I decided to try AC:Valhalla and the size of it meant I had to move many games off of my SSD

I am thinking of combining all the HDDs into one large capacity, freeing up the SATA ports and enabling me to get a 1TB M.2 while keeping the SSDs. Or getting 4Tb hdd and combining the two 1TB then getting a larger capacity SSD for games.
I like the idea of a M.2 NVME drive (1TB or more) but on this motherboard using a M.2 disables two SATA ports... (so here lies one of the other problems). Or I just replace the second SSD with a bigger one, but will no doubt be in the same position in the future when I run out of space..

So my question is, how would you solve this? I can't get my head around it.

I really want to do it without having to reinstall Windows so either keep Windows on the SSD or clone somehow? Only two drives have installed software, so I guess if they are changed they have to be cloned or maintain the same drive letter so Windows doesn’t throw a fit? I believe I could unplug the DVD drive and use it's SATA connection to enable me to clone and swap drives.

Will appreciate the advice :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well i just ordered a hard drive enclosure which will help in arranging stuff.

Is there any benefit going to M.2 over sad 2.5?, especially if i lose two SATA ports for it?

Back
Top Bottom