• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Using my rig to play on my tv

Soldato
firstly any reccomendations on a 10 metre HDMI cable

secondly if i run my rig on DVI to my monitor and plug in a HDMI to my TV how do i switch from dvi > hdmi or do you totally have to disconnect 1 from the graphics card (i'll be using my mini display port to HDMI adaptor i got with my 6950 to go to the TV.

Not a permanent thing just something i wanted to try and possibly use every now and again to play a laid back game.

Associate
Just try it it will work fine you can control the switch between screens via hotkeys catalyst control centre and several other ways.

I have a full silent PC connected in my living room via a 6670 passive card and this is great for most games in full 1080 via a wireless xbox 360 controller.

Soldato
Hi there,

As for a cable recommendation - this one looks like a good option.

As for how to switch between different outputs, as Domi mentioned - you don't need to physically disconnect any of your existing monitors (unless you have used all the outputs on your card up) and just switch the outputs in software (either CCC or windows>control panel>screen resolution).

Also, if you got a DP to HDMI passive adapter with your card then if you are running only one monitor at the moment - then you can run your TV and monitor off it at the same time (also assuming the TV is also 1080p you could clone the screens if you like).

Soldato
OP
Hi there,

As for how to switch between different outputs, as Domi mentioned - you don't need to physically disconnect any of your existing monitors (unless you have used all the outputs on your card up) and just switch the outputs in software (either CCC or windows>control panel>screen resolution).

Also, if you got a DP to HDMI passive adapter with your card then if you are running only one monitor at the moment - then you can run your TV and monitor off it at the same time (also assuming the TV is also 1080p you could clone the screens if you like).

Sounds like it's worth a shot for £9, so i would keep my DVI plugged in and then plug in the mini diplay port to hdmi adaptor then plug into the TV.

do you mean it would it output to both at the same time without having to mess around with software?

Soldato
Actually, I just had a look on the outputs on the card - it has a native HDMI output (at least according to this) so just plug the HDMI cable into this port. (If your version doesn't have this port then going through the DP adapter will work fine too - even when the DVI monitor is also connected).

As for how to set it up, you will need to set it up initially - but it should remember the settings after that (i'm using a 6970 card at the moment with a 1080p TV connected as a second monitor and it remembers the settings). First, go into the Catalyst control centre and ensure the TV is detected and set to its native resolution. From there you can change the settings of the desktop and how the displays are arranged or simply duplicate the output of your monitor on the TV. You can also get most of these settings in the windows>control panel>screen resolution area.

If you don't mess around with the settings then the TV should default as a secondary monitor in "extended desktop mode" located to to the right of your primary display (DVI monitor) running at the TV's native resolution. However, if you see black bars around the screen or some of the image runs off the display area then you have a scaling issue - ensure your TV's scaling is set to "just scan", "game mode" or similar. Also, go into the catalyst control centre>My Digital flat-panels> scaling options, then select the TV and ensure the slider is set to 0%.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi there,

remember as well that most hdmi doesnt matter about quality I have used asda cables and exspensive ones and seen no diference

Soldato
remember as well that most hdmi doesnt matter about quality I have used asda cables and exspensive ones and seen no diference

Aye, but for a 10m length of HDMI you want a half-decent cable as you do get a fair bit of signal attenuation at this length (which can cause image artefacts or force you to use a lower resolution). The one I linked to looks like decent quality, is long enough and shouldn't break the bank - hence the recommendation.

Soldato
OP
Aye, but for a 10m length of HDMI you want a half-decent cable as you do get a fair bit of signal attenuation at this length (which can cause image artefacts or force you to use a lower resolution). The one I linked to looks like decent quality, is long enough and shouldn't break the bank - hence the recommendation.

Yes my card does have a HDMI :rolleyes:i'm an idiot

The only thing about that cable was it don't say what category it is, 1.3 or 1.4

seen some 1.4A grundigs and some no brands online for 9.99. Some people don't believe about signal attenuation but i know it exists.

Also a second question would sound pass straight through the hdmi if i set it in the control panel

This one
Capture1232434434.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't worry about HDMI v1.3 or 1.4 cables - they are all the same, the only difference is on the device side in what they do with the pins.

As for sound, yes that will work fine and it will pass lossless sound direct to your TV (ideal if you have a home audio system connected to your TV).

Associate
just to answer about the 6670 its actually surprisingly decent I suspect for instance that my grid framerates and quality are not much differant to the 360 version.

Assasins creed 2 plays perfectly acceptably but in all honesty the most commonly played games on the big screen are mame games and the excellant steam mega drive collection.

Basically i use a 360 wireless pad and the best sort of games tend to be the console ports and lets be honest a Q6600 with a 6670 is almost certainly better hardware than an XBox 360.

The fact that the same rig is also my XBMC streaming centre is silent (yes I run a Q6600 fanless) just adds gravy.

Back
Top Bottom