Using your mobile abroad

Soldato
I know this is a small sample of 1, but the 1 time I had the pocket wifi, 1 day it froze on me at around 7pm. I was on the train back from Kyoto to Tokyo (day trip), and I got no internet. Good thing I know my way back because there is no power off button or reset button on the unit that I had. I had to wait for it to run flat in order to reboot itself.

Other than that, the speed on them is great! lol
Ahh, I think I will mark that as another strike against pocket wifi! :)

Caporegime
Ahh, I think I will mark that as another strike against pocket wifi! :)

btw, here is a tip.

Most data sim connects to Docomo, which is one of the networks. So during peak season and especially in touristy central areas in Tokyo and Kyoto, the speed of your phone will drop as an influx of tourists joining the same network.

Softbank is another network, if you experience slow connection then go to settings, instead of automatic, choose Softbank instead. I had excellent speed on Softbank last time and a signal EVERYWHERE I went from Tokyo up to Kanazawa and down back to Kyoto.

Soldato
btw, here is a tip.

Most data sim connects to Docomo, which is one of the networks. So during peak season and especially in touristy central areas in Tokyo and Kyoto, the speed of your phone will drop as an influx of tourists joining the same network.

Softbank is another network, if you experience slow connection then go to settings, instead of automatic, choose Softbank instead. I had excellent speed on Softbank last time and a signal EVERYWHERE I went from Tokyo up to Kanazawa and down back to Kyoto.

Nice tip. Thanks!

Soldato
I have a similar question too as I'm travelling from the UK to Prague for business . I will be taking 2 x mobiles with me one work one personal..

I assume I will get charged extortionate rates for data? Shall I just switch of roaming and I'll have to find WiFi ? What if I need to look something up.? The last time I travelled within Europe was before COVID.

Is there an app for eu data browsing ? I forgotten how everything works it's been so long :o

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a similar question too as I'm travelling from the UK to Prague for business . I will be taking 2 x mobiles with me one work one personal..

I assume I will get charged extortionate rates for data? Shall I just switch of roaming and I'll have to find WiFi ? What if I need to look something up.? The last time I travelled within Europe was before COVID.

Is there an app for eu data browsing ? I forgotten how everything works it's been so long :o
Depends who you're with.

Some providers still let you use free roaming as before.

Soldato

I've just been to Portugal and it is like 2.34 a day to take your home tariff with you (EE).

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Yeh I have just logged in to my EE accout. That's not too bad

I may need to add a bolt on data anyway as something has been using my allowance this month.
Get a Lebara SIM from the offers on hotukdeals. Will be something silly like £1 a month for 3 months, and free EU roaming, with 30GB

Soldato
Get a Lebara SIM from the offers on hotukdeals. Will be something silly like £1 a month for 3 months, and free EU roaming, with 30GB
I would need my normal number active and running,

Getting a new sim i wouldnt be able to have my normal number running

I dont have a dual SIM handset

Soldato
Currently with Talk mobile, pretty good roaming across lots of areas. I have a dual SIM phone so usually just get a local physical SIM if staying in an area for a few weeks. Works fine for just data.

Associate
Isn't the unspoken issue with the "get a sim" solution that mobiles are used to both initiate and receive calls, and when on a temp sim, no one can call you, and no one recognises the number when you call them. Fine if it's just to keep in contact with one or 2 people, but not a great solution if you have a big contact list etc.

Associate
Isn't the unspoken issue with the "get a sim" solution that mobiles are used to both initiate and receive calls, and when on a temp sim, no one can call you, and no one recognises the number when you call them. Fine if it's just to keep in contact with one or 2 people, but not a great solution if you have a big contact list etc.

Think that's where esims are good. You can run the two sims side by side and switch between them I think? Not sure if WhatsApp etc would work though as that's linked to the phone number?

Caporegime
Think that's where esims are good. You can run the two sims side by side and switch between them I think? Not sure if WhatsApp etc would work though as that's linked to the phone number?

Think of e-sim as WiFi on the go.

So all your browsing comes through the e-sim, your data, your video calls, your youtube etc. If you want to send an SMS, it goes through your number, if you want to make a WhatsApp call, it goes through e-sim, yet still with your home number.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
No that's not an issue, as nearly all phones are dual SIM. If your phone is not then it's a good sign you need to upgrade.

I travel a lot and would never touch an eSim. Pick up local SIM wherever I go, if I can't use my free roaming, so much easier/cheaper/better.

Soldato
No that's not an issue, as nearly all phones are dual SIM. If your phone is not then it's a good sign you need to upgrade.

I travel a lot and would never touch an eSim. Pick up local SIM wherever I go, if I can't use my free roaming, so much easier/cheaper/better.

Strange behaviour to be honest.

It actually easier to get an e-sim.

Get it all done before you leave the house, you’re ready to go. I land/dock turn it on and away I go. Don’t need to worry about finding a shop, don’t need to plan for that shop visit first etc visiting more than one place, get it all ready to go.

They have made local sims when traveling obsolete.

Also the latest iphone doesn’t even have a sim tray in the states, expect others to follow soon.

Back
Top Bottom