*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
Hmmm, I'm getting buyer's remorse already and I haven't even got it yet. I had a perfect LCD Steam Deck which I've now sold, and these reports of various faulty OLED models is a tad concerning.

I got my order in way early too, relatively - 6.19pm! No parcel force tracking info.

Yu8lbKq.png

Last edited:
Soldato
What the hell is going on with the quality control, so many issues even here and we’re only an extremely tiny sample.
So I did multiple restarts and nothing. Went into desktop mode to check the OLED panel and it just started working. Annoyingly the system button test is a bit crap and doesn't give the detail I am after.

My left thumbstick is lacking the same texture as the right. THe right is more grippy and the left slippy, like it's missing a rubber coating in the center.

Also not used one before but the left trackpad isn't giving a haptic feedback on a center press? This could be user error on my part though.

Soldato
I've also emailed Valve asking what is going on.

Parcel Force issued a statement today that they are having issues at some depo's due to staff shortages, due to sickness.

You'll get a generic reply

Hello,

I would be happy to provide some clarity.

Unfortunately we do not currently have an estimated delivery date for your device order.

We've checked and confirmed your order is being processed at our warehouse. You can track the status of your order and see real time update on your order status page.

You should receive an email containing the tracking information for your shipment as soon as it has shipped.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.

Steam Support

Upon investigation, your package has been shipped. The package will normally arrive in 4-8 business days (excludes weekends).

You can check the status of the shipment with it below:

(tracking link)

If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.

Steam Support

I replied with this, no reply from them yet.

Hi,
The quoted delivery estimate was 3-5 business day at time of order (16/11/23 18:23) not 4-8.

Thanks

Associate
So I did multiple restarts and nothing. Went into desktop mode to check the OLED panel and it just started working. Annoyingly the system button test is a bit crap and doesn't give the detail I am after.

My left thumbstick is lacking the same texture as the right. THe right is more grippy and the left slippy, like it's missing a rubber coating in the center.

Also not used one before but the left trackpad isn't giving a haptic feedback on a center press? This could be user error on my part though.
The trackpad is now working?

Soldato
Hmmm, I'm getting buyer's remorse already and I haven't even got it yet. I had a perfect LED Steam Deck which I've now sold, and these reports of various faulty OLED models is a tad concerning.

I'm keeping my LCD deck until I know the OLED is ok. Luckily someone has offered to buy my LCD deck and understands that they'll have to wait until get the new one and that I'm happy with it.

Soldato
The trackpad is now working?
Yeah, just going into Desktop mode sorted it out. I was so close to opening up the Deck as well. No texture on the left thumbstick is enough for me to return it though unless they would be willing to send out a replacement stick (doubt). Annoyed and expected better for QC after a few years of them in the hardware business.

I've also emailed Valve asking what is going on.

Parcel Force issued a statement today that they are having issues at some depo's due to staff shortages, due to sickness.

Mine says out for delivery, although it's 6pm now, is yours saying that also?, surely if there are delays it shouldn't say it's on that van?

Associate
Sort of glad I went for a laptop instead of this. I tried for over an hour to buy this but couldn't. Next day saw a deal on a gaming laptop so went for that. Still think these look great but for me putting the money towards the laptop has give me a few more options. Apart from pure luxurious gaming comfort that these give...

Last edited:
Associate
There is a thread on the Steam Deck Reddit discussing dead pixels on the OLED. Although anecdotal, it seems like you are more likely to have dead pixels if you spent the extra money and got the limited edition Steam Deck. The limited edition seems to mostly be fitted with screens from the company BOE rather than screens from Samsung which the other models have.

Soldato
There is a thread on the Steam Deck Reddit discussing dead pixels on the OLED. Although anecdotal, it seems like you are more likely to have dead pixels if you spent the extra money and got the limited edition Steam Deck. The limited edition seems to mostly be fitted with screens from the company BOE rather than screens from Samsung which the other models have.
Yes, but strange that BOE are not great at QC. They supply screens to Apple for iPhones and other devices.

Associate
Maybe Apple and other companies that use BOE screens when needed demand far better quality at the expense of higher prices. If you want decent quality and consistency Samsungs panels have always been pretty good.

Soldato
Well, im so glad I didnt sell my LCD Deck that has zero issues.

Full testing of the OLED model will be carried out as soon as it arrives and if theres anything like knackered trackpads, shoulder buttons, thumbsticks or dead pixels it’ll be going back for a refund.

Soldato
Well, im so glad I didnt sell my LCD Deck that has zero issues.

Full testing of the OLED model will be carried out as soon as it arrives and if theres anything like knackered trackpads, shoulder buttons, thumbsticks or dead pixels it’ll be going back for a refund.

This is the way. Don't settle for anything less than perfect on something that expensive.

Reactions: TNA
Back
Top Bottom