*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Valve should stick to just having a games platform, all their attempts at hardware fail and never catch on.

Your the one that needs to catch on. Steam Deck has been a great success and the Index has done relatively well too.

If lessons are learned from this launch they will do much better for the Steam Deck 2.

Man of Honour
I wouldn’t call the Steam Deck a failure by any stretch!

I'd be interested to see how much money they're actually making on these things (in fact that goes for things like the Asus Ally and the Legion Go as well), I get that Valve are really banking on folk buying and making purchases via Steam but it feels to me like most folk buying them already have a decent Steam back catalogue.
Its a niche but they've executed it very well, much better than I expected when the Steamdeck was announced.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Just pulled the trigger on a brand new Steam Deck 64GB. Managed to buy some steam wallet and get around £11 cashback so works out £298 for a brand new one with 1 year warranty.

Already got a fast 512GB SDHC card I can stick in it, so I am sorted. It will be mainly used for old games anyway, so will fit loads of games on it.

Will keep the child in me happy until Steam Deck 2 is out :cry:

Soldato
Just pulled the trigger on a brand new Steam Deck 64GB. Managed to buy some steam wallet and get around £11 cashback so works out £298 for a brand new one with 1 year warranty.

Already got a fast 512GB SDHC card I can stick in it, so I am sorted. It will be mainly used for old games anyway, so will fit loads of games on it.

Will keep the child in me happy until Steam Deck 2 is out :cry:

Going on holiday soon, got any spare flipflops? This might be your best yet.

Got tracking now for mine, fast considering I ordered on 21st and it said 6-10 says.

Last edited:
Soldato
My Deck OLED went from being ‘handed over to gls’ to arriving at my local parcel force depot this morning at 5am.

Multiple issue in the past with parcel force so decided to try and collect it as its as the depot is a nice ~7km walk down the canal.

The staff were helpful this time and went and found it instead of delivering monday when im away. Walking back with it now on a nice sunny (but cold) walk.
Hopefully its not plagued with any issues.

Also just bought an RG35XX Plus as they went on sale at 10:00. Still like the pocket friendly 4:3 device and it appears to do Dreamcast!

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Going on holiday soon, got any spare flipflops? This might be your best yet.

Got tracking now for mine, fast considering I ordered on 21st and it said 6-10 says.

I saw one of the end of line Steam Decks run out of stock which triggered it :p

I thought if the 64GB sells out also then I will be left waiting on a refurb unit that may sell out before I realise and then I will be stuck paying silly used asking prices.

At least now I have a brand new one for the price people want for their used one :cry:

Soldato
I saw one of the end of line Steam Decks run out of stock which triggered it :p

I thought if the 64GB sells out also then I will be left waiting on a refurb unit that may sell out before I realise and then I will be stuck paying silly used asking prices.

At least now I have a brand new one for the price people want for their used one :cry:

The OLED is only like what 150 extra though. For me that's easily worth the extra for superior screen and 512gb.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup - particularly with the extra battery life, extra-brightness plus other small improvements.

Good shout, forget about those things. Plus it could be bloody ages until the Deck 2 so I'd rather have the best option now personally. Different strokes and all that.

Last edited:
Don
I got mine yesterday. 1TB model. Very impressed with the screen. It’s just gorgeous when playing things like Deadcells.
WiFi is much improved over the OG deck from a performance perspective. I am seeing some odd behaviour with it though. When the deck goes to sleep it seems not not be able to do game updates. It complains about no internet connection.
Also, haptics on the left pad seem much stronger than the right. The right pad feels the same as the OG deck but the left is much more…..tappy if that makes sense.

Other things I’ve noticed:
ABXY buttons are much looser in the chassis than OG deck.
D pad is much improved and I can actually hit diagonals now
Thumb sticks have more play in the centre position than OG deck. I was still able to drop dead zones to less than half the stock value.
Triggers feel better with a more progressive pull
Steam and … buttons much improved with a noticeable click and they now sit slightly proud of the chassis rather than flush like the OG deck

I cant comment on battery life yet because I’ve not had time to do a full run down session. It certainly doesn’t get anywhere near as hot as the OG deck though and the fan is much quieter.

Soldato
So far so good…ish.
The dpad is aweful compared to the Deck LCD. Is supposed to feel ‘spongy’ like its floating. I can move it around with my thumb with light pressure. Is this normal?
Still testing but other buttons, screen and thumb stick seem fine.

@Rilot you say the dpad is better, it feels a lot softer and looser to me, is this normal/better?

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The OLED is only like what 150 extra though. For me that's easily worth the extra for superior screen and 512gb.

I agree and if I knew it would get much use I would gladly pay that. This is more of a I want one that will get used now and then.

I have arguably the best OLED gaming monitor already and most my gaming will get done on that.

At the end of the day it is much easier to justify £298 to myself than it would be £468.

I am more interested in the Steam Deck 2 to be honest and that will be a day 1 one order for sure. One of my disappointments with the steam deck when I got to try it out when it came out was the potato resolution. I hope it will be 1080p at least OLED at least.

Soldato
I agree and if I knew it would get much use I would gladly pay that. This is more of a I want one that will get used now and then.

I have arguably the best OLED gaming monitor already and most my gaming will get done on that.

At the end of the day it is much easier to justify £298 to myself than it would be £468.

I am more interested in the Steam Deck 2 to be honest and that will be a day 1 one order for sure. One of my disappointments with the steam deck when I got to try it out when it came out was the potato resolution. I hope it will be 1080p at least OLED at least.

Not being whatever the word but I find it interesting you mention potato resolution but you're content with that 3440*1440 which to me is potato, such a noticeable upgrade when I moved from that same monitor to the C2. Was nice other than that I guess. Oh other than the horrid text rendering and two audible fans.

Yeah agree about Res on deck but never had one so remains to be seen if I'll like it but then I am content with the Switch innit.

Last edited:
Associate
Personally I think the Res on deck is perfect for the balance of performance, battery life, heat and image quality. Increase the Res and everything else suffers.

Don't get me wrong, I'll enjoy the higher Res of future generation decks, but with the power right now I think valve were very smart and hit the sweet spot.

It also helps my use case doesn't go towards modern AAA games as much. Eg for BG3 I played that on main PC on the big screen.

Been playing MGS collection recently and with some community fixes it's a great experience.

Valve have started my refund process. In the time I got with it I was very impressed, screen is fantastic and could feel many button improvements. I have to wait for my refund to come through before reordering so will have to use my LCD model for some weeks still, but rather I be patient and end up with a perfect deck.

Last edited:
Associate
Ok... I am way more than impressed with this OLED.

So my boy wants one now... Im thinking of getting one of the LCD ones off eBay. Is it possible for him to use my steam library with him loggin into another account.

Any issues doing this, I've seen it mentioned in steam but wondered if anyone had tried it.

Back
Top Bottom