Valve Steam on Linux (no wine)

Soldato
and it's arrived!

anyone know how to run it from the command line? I've installed the deb package on my crunchbang laptop but it doesn't give you anything in the menus.

never mind, I've decided it's never going to work for me and I must move on with my life or upgrade.

Last edited:

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
It doesn't seem to like my 7850 & AMD Catalyst™ 13.1 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver 13.1 (Ubuntu 12.10 amd64). TF2 complains about the OpenGL version. Maybe I'll have to roll-back the driver.

At least I have managed to get the TF2 Tux item. :D

Associate
anyone know how to run it from the command line? I've installed the deb package on my crunchbang laptop but it doesn't give you anything in the menus.

chris@tux ~ $ whereis steam
steam: /usr/bin/steam /usr/lib/steam /usr/lib64/steam /usr/share/man/man6/steam.6.bz2

On my Gentoo box :)

Soldato
Yep, it works fine in Mint 14... The font is a bit big though compared to the Windows equivalent.

The only game I've tried so far is TF2 and it runs, not as well as in Windows, well I don't know... For the most part it's fine and definitely playable, but it feels a bit sluggish - like input lag or something. Also I seem to get quite bad screen tearing (and fiddling with vsync doesn't help)

Soldato
I think what Linux gaming and the Steam Linux client really needs above all else to even begin to make anything like the difference people are hoping for, is (good) games which are exclusive to Linux... and it's a big ask - what developer would willingly restrict their game from the biggest sales channels? (not even Valve... I'm not sure)

It's certainly a start to have some of the existing titles running natively on Linux, but for example I've installed TF2 to see what it was like, and it's alright, if I've booted into Linux to do some non-gaming related stuff and suddenly fancy a blast of TF2 maybe I'll use it, but there isn't a good reason for me to do so other than this slight convenience.

Imagine if Valve took Half Life 3 or a similar highly anticipated release, and made it Linux exclusive for the first year or 6-months... The problem with their current promotions like the exclusive "penguin" item giveaway for TF2 is it doesn't achieve its intended goal of encouraging people to give linux a try. Instead it just encourages a bunch of TF2 kids to have a bad experience trying to aquire said item and vow to stay away from Linux forever. The amount of time someone wanting to play HL3 without the wait would have to spend actually using the OS to complete the game, some are bound to discover that they actually kinda like it (and those that don't get on with it can just pick it up when it makes it to the other channels). On the other hand maybe 99% of people would just wait until it is released elsewhere.

Soldato
Left 4 Dead 2 arriving on Linux signifies the beginning of Linux becoming a true gaming platform.

OpenGL issues are still pretty obvious with my AMD 6950 though, but in saying that you have to appreciate that it's a BETA.

Soldato
Left 4 Dead 2 arriving on Linux signifies the beginning of Linux becoming a true gaming platform.

It's certainly a step in the right direction (though TF2 is just as big a game as L4D2 and has been out on Linux for a while now, so I'm not sure how much of a major milestone it is)...

I would say we will see the beginning of Linux becoming a true gaming platform on the day when a major developer other than Valve release one of their significant titles on Linux. Gabe and Valve have their own agenda to try and promote Linux, but other developers won't even consider it for their main IPs until they think there is a serious chance that they are missing out on
enough sales to justify it...

Associate

It's certainly a step in the right direction (though TF2 is just as big a game as L4D2 and has been out on Linux for a while now, so I'm not sure how much of a major milestone it is)...

I would say we will see the beginning of Linux becoming a true gaming platform on the day when a major developer other than Valve release one of their significant titles on Linux.

Good points methinks, although one additional benefit of Steam coming to Linux is it neatly ties together a lot of other games you might already have into one nice portable library across platforms.

For me, Portal 2 is the big game that I want to see from Valve on Linux, and I can hardly wait for it :) There's a few games that I assume to be quite big titles, such as X3:Reunion & X3:Terran Conflict) which were nice surprises to see Linux versions of, for example.

I supsect DOTA 2 will be ported over at some point, and along with other Valve titles will gradually help grow the number of gamers on Linux, enough hopefully to get the same numbers as are using OSX and encouarge developers to consider porting over games to Linux which already exist for OSX (Civ 5 would be nice).

Anywho, it will be interesting to watch the number of games coming over in the next few months, and also to keep an eye on the results in Valvles monthly hardware survey.

Soldato
Having so many issues with input lag and stuttering on source games, games that run flawlessly on windows on the same hardware are barely playable. Cant wait for ati to get their act together and sort driver support out.

Soldato
I supsect DOTA 2 will be ported over at some point, and along with other Valve titles will gradually help grow the number of gamers on Linux, enough hopefully to get the same numbers as are using OSX and encouarge developers to consider porting over games to Linux which already exist for OSX (Civ 5 would be nice).

I think what Valve really need to do (which you've sort of hinted at by mentioning the hardware survey) is to be able to say to the other big developers "We released TF2/L4D2/DOTA2 on Linux, and our hardware survey shows that at least 25% of the playerbase come from that platform"...

Then if they can just get the experience decent (I've had some issues with TF2 not playing perfectly on Linux, not awful but bad enough to notice) they just need to drive home any other incentives (I guess maybe a Linux release could generate more profit per game sold if there are microsoft certifications or DirectX licensing overheads or something- but I'm not sure exactly how it all works).

Back
Top Bottom