Valve Steam on Linux (no wine)

Soldato
Rumours have it that Sports Interactive (Creators of Football Manager) could release Football Manager 2014 on Linux.

Oh. My. God.

Its just a matter of opening all those .xls spreadsheets in libreoffice no? :p
I kid. But if that is true then that is good. The more big name games on linux the faster the others will take it up too.

Associate
Bit of an update:

Steam for Linux Beta Now Available to All
The Steam for Linux beta client is now available to all Steam users, so if you've been patiently waiting for an invitation to join us, consider yourself officially invited!

With a growing catalog of Linux-supported games, an active Steam for Linux community group, and a new GitHub bug reporting repository, the timing’s right to jump in and share your feedback.

Been using it on Gentoo & have briefly tested it with Team Fortress 2, works great :)

Associate
just downloading TF2 now to test.

so far the UI is faster than windows 7 and big picture works fine BUT reports my card as having 268.44mb of vram?

the only game i tried played at about 5-25fps really juddery at any resolution or setting within full screen or windowed, which was killing floor. it plays slick on windows so its obviously a driver issue.

i use an Ati 5850 btw with amd 12.11 beta drivers i.e the latest.
the o/s is linux mint 14 KDE 64bit

bit disapointed but im sure it will get sorted.

overall im very pleased about steam being on linux, i have literally have no need to use windows anymore .. well perhaps that one time i need the blockbuster dx11 game to work but im experimenting with VM for that, i already have a decent working XP installation VM'd working good.

Associate
sadly tf2 wont launch in mint kde. shame as im really not a fan of unity and ubuntu.

weird though as mint kde is fully loaded, updated and runs along side ubuntu :confused:

im sure it will get patched and working over the next few months

Associate
For some reason Steam doesn't work on my Kubuntu 12.10.. But others have said it does work on their's... No idea why mine doesn't.

if you look at my post you will see that KDE isnt happy with steam.

firstly it occasionally stops working and shuts down when idle for a while.
secondly TF2 wont launch at all.

I have followed a few steps and tried disabling a lot of eyecandy (which is the reason i use KDE amongst others) and still no joy.

will have to wait until a fix is released i guess.

Killingfloor works but the opengl performance on my 5850 is poor tbh. im running the lastest official ati drivers but have tried the opensource ones and there just as bad

Soldato
just downloading TF2 now to test.

so far the UI is faster than windows 7 and big picture works fine BUT reports my card as having 268.44mb of vram?

the only game i tried played at about 5-25fps really juddery at any resolution or setting within full screen or windowed, which was killing floor. it plays slick on windows so its obviously a driver issue.

i use an Ati 5850 btw with amd 12.11 beta drivers i.e the latest.
the o/s is linux mint 14 KDE 64bit

bit disapointed but im sure it will get sorted.

overall im very pleased about steam being on linux, i have literally have no need to use windows anymore .. well perhaps that one time i need the blockbuster dx11 game to work but im experimenting with VM for that, i already have a decent working XP installation VM'd working good.

if you look at my post you will see that KDE isnt happy with steam.

firstly it occasionally stops working and shuts down when idle for a while.
secondly TF2 wont launch at all.

I have followed a few steps and tried disabling a lot of eyecandy (which is the reason i use KDE amongst others) and still no joy.

will have to wait until a fix is released i guess.

Killingfloor works but the opengl performance on my 5850 is poor tbh. im running the lastest official ati drivers but have tried the opensource ones and there just as bad

It's ATI, this is why I don't run linux atm. I have a 5870. May replace it with Nvidia next winter when the new consoles come out.

Associate
im not sure this problem is ati?

but yes my next build will be nvidia even though ati are pulling ahead in drivers, and performance AND for less money :)

if they dont sort out their linux drivers AND there version of optimus to work properly with inbuilt GPU's on laptops then im over to the green one

Associate
Works from the command line here (Mint 14 KDE, ATI 6950)

Only works as root though, not ideal:

sudo steam steam://store

I can launch Serious Sam BFE direct from the dektop link without root though, so just some permissions mixup somewhere. Game runs just as well as in Win7, using slightly out of date ATI 12.10 drivers, as the latest ones give me a BSOBA (black-screen-of-bugger-all) Haven't needed to turn off Plasma or whatever it's called.

aln

aln

Associate
Works from the command line here (Mint 14 KDE, ATI 6950)

Only works as root though, not ideal:

sudo steam steam://store

I can launch Serious Sam BFE direct from the dektop link without root though, so just some permissions mixup somewhere. Game runs just as well as in Win7, using slightly out of date ATI 12.10 drivers, as the latest ones give me a BSOBA (black-screen-of-bugger-all) Haven't needed to turn off Plasma or whatever it's called.

Which mint?

Mines is working without root and all the games work with open drivers (well, trine2, amnesia, TF2, Serious Sam, and some others. I don't have every game).

P.S. Its open beta now, so you don't need to open the store anymore.

Last edited:
Associate
Which mint?

Mines is working without root and all the games work with open drivers (well, trine2, amnesia, TF2, Serious Sam, and some others. I don't have every game).

P.S. Its open beta now, so you don't need to open the store anymore.

Mint 14 KDE 64 - it's the rc, you need to hunt around for it I dont think its on the main mint download page yet. I know the beta is open now, just mentioning that the desktop link that gets installed doesn't work for me, hence using the cli for now, although SS:BFE is the only game I currentlt play so no big deal for me.

Back
Top Bottom