Valve Steam on Linux (no wine)

Associate
More updates!! Guess what else just showed up on Steam for Linux:

- Half Life 2 (beta)
- Half Life 2: Lost Coast (beta)
:)

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't get any proprietary drivers installed, ati have dropped support for older cards and the legacy drivers require an older kernel and xorg than Mint Nadia has

With the open drivers I did a video stress test on The Lost Coast and it runs in a low-ish resolution and at 7.14 frames per second... hilarious.

edit: well I managed to iinstall the legacy drivers by using an old xorg version, however during gameplay the screen flickers and flashes, glitches and generally behaves terribly, very bad ati drivers IMO, makes it unplayable. However framerate is now up to 51 fps so an improvement there at least.

I have to say hats off to Valve for making Steam riidiculously easy to install, its no more difficult than in Windows and one of the most painless installs I've had with Linux. Its just a pity ATI can't get their act together.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have an ati card, I used the linux steam build and it feels like the input controls are lagging. I got the tux toy for TF2 so mission accomplished. I have parked linux until I get a 870GTX next year.

This 7950 is a PITA but it was a lot cheaper than a 680GTX :/

Soldato
I can't get any proprietary drivers installed, ati have dropped support for older cards and the legacy drivers require an older kernel and xorg than Mint Nadia has

With the open drivers I did a video stress test on The Lost Coast and it runs in a low-ish resolution and at 7.14 frames per second... hilarious.

edit: well I managed to iinstall the legacy drivers by using an old xorg version, however during gameplay the screen flickers and flashes, glitches and generally behaves terribly, very bad ati drivers IMO, makes it unplayable. However framerate is now up to 51 fps so an improvement there at least.

I have to say hats off to Valve for making Steam riidiculously easy to install, its no more difficult than in Windows and one of the most painless installs I've had with Linux. Its just a pity ATI can't get their act together.

If you're on 12.10 or below, try these:
https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/graphics-drivers/

Back
Top Bottom