Variable Speed Camera Delay

Soldato
Morning,

I was driving around the m25 this morning just before the A3 junction and went through that gantry that has the variable speed camera (just before Cobham services). All the gantries previous had been at 50mph so had cruise set to 50mph and all was good.

Literally as I drive under the gantry, I must have been 4/5m in front of it, the sign changed to 40mph. Seeing as I had someone right up my arse I didn't want to slam on the brakes and assumed I'd be fine as there would be a delay.

However as I went through the gantry the camera flashed 4/5 times (there were people in the same situation in other lanes).

So have I been done? I can't think of anyway to prove that the gantry changed as I went through it, and I really don't think I've done anything wrong?! :(

Caporegime
There is a delay, it’s a few seconds (barely 10 I’d say) I know this because I spent an hour sat by the side of the M25 last year with a blowout and I passed my time by watching the gantry signs change and then seeing the flashes of the cameras going off! :o :D

Man of Honour
Pretty sure the actual delay in whether the system issues you a ticket is much higher than the camera trigger, somewhere in my mind says it's at least 30 seconds.

Don
Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
I'm fairly certain there's a 60 second grace period from when the gantry changes. I'm not sure about the M25 but in other locations I'm also pretty sure there are cameras before that gantry that capture what the gantry is currently displaying, presumably for the purpose of anyone disputing it?

Edit: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/with_variable_speed_cameras_are

That's not where I've read it before but it backs up my original thoughts.

Don
In that case, I think we can safely disregard anything that website has to offer :p

e; website that seems to state the camera that is in use on the M25

https://www.speedcamerasuk.com/hadecs-3.htm

Yes, the M25 uses HADECS3 cameras. That website is still wrong anyway, it says they are "stealth" cameras because they are painted grey, but that was only the trial cameras. All cameras capable of taking tickets are yellow. We've had them on the M3 for over a year and that website says they will be installed "soon".

(source: my wife was one of the Engineers that worked on the designs of the cameras - thankfully she has since left that job though :D )

Soldato
Depends on the road, i'd assume 8-10 seconds to be on the safe side so if you are literally passing under as it changes then that's fine.

Soldato
surely they'd be able to tell from your speed etc that you would have been under the gantry at the time and not had time to slow w/out doing unsafe braking?

Associate
I really wouldn't worry about it. I believe the grace period is 1 minute. I personally have been flashed about 4 or 5 times on the M25, sometimes with the speed limits in place, sometimes without. In fact I believe one of those was coming back from Gatwick at about 11pm and I got flashed near the Cobham services, no other cars around so I know it was me who triggered it. Still no fine. I think these cameras malfunction quite often.

Soldato
do you not understand programming the issue system to look for certain events?

Hmm not too sure, it all depends what actually get recorded. If all the system knows is when and what speed you passed the last gantry and then this gantry, that's assuming that it does this it has no idea what speed you were doing as you approached. As it's variable I've seem people floor it between gantries and then slam on their brakes. If each gantry is independent then all it has is the cut in/off time when the speed goes up/down.

Soldato
I really wouldn't worry about it. I believe the grace period is 1 minute. I personally have been flashed about 4 or 5 times on the M25, sometimes with the speed limits in place, sometimes without. In fact I believe one of those was coming back from Gatwick at about 11pm and I got flashed near the Cobham services, no other cars around so I know it was me who triggered it. Still no fine. I think these cameras malfunction quite often.

They do take test firings to calibrate themselves too.

Man of Honour
These cameras must be making a fortune. I don't get why people don't slow down for them. I see so many flashes and I don't even drive on there much. You literally just need to slow down for the lines for the gantry cameras.

Back
Top Bottom