Vettel leaving Ferrari

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Stroll has been quite racey in this year's car. Obviously the car is helping but still feel he's stepped up his game and driving very well, few mistakes. If it wasn't for Perez' missed races they could have been ahead of McLaren at this point.

Not sure Vettel will bring anything new at this point except some perceived pedigree. At this stage I'd say Perez was just as fast and brings more support being the only Mexican driver which will alienate some fans if he doesn't retain a seat elsewhere. Problem is the RP/AM seat is the best remaining seat for 2021 so he's going to take a step down unless he takes a year out in hope of finding a better 2022 seat. Career over if he takes a multi-year contact at Alfa or Haas imo.

Caporegime
Stroll has been quite racey in this year's car. Obviously the car is helping but still feel he's stepped up his game and driving very well, few mistakes. If it wasn't for Perez' missed races they could have been ahead of McLaren at this point.

I'm not sure Pérez would have got more points for the team than Hülkenburg managed. Presumably the total car failure wasn't related to Hülk being in the seat, and I don't think there would have been much difference in points during the race, maybe a bit better for Pérez since he'd likely have managed the tyres better. I've always thought Stroll was underrated. He's still a very young driver and seems to be improving fast.

Not sure Vettel will bring anything new at this point except some perceived pedigree. At this stage I'd say Perez was just as fast and brings more support being the only Mexican driver which will alienate some fans if he doesn't retain a seat elsewhere. Problem is the RP/AM seat is the best remaining seat for 2021 so he's going to take a step down unless he takes a year out in hope of finding a better 2022 seat. Career over if he takes a multi-year contact at Alfa or Haas imo.

Totally agree. Vettel has been potato in the last few seasons. Maybe AM can re-awaken the driver of the early 2010s, but I doubt it.

Man of Honour

It’s all for marketing, nothing more. We’ve seen that he is far past his best.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I'm not sure Pérez would have got more points for the team than Hülkenburg managed. Presumably the total car failure wasn't related to Hülk being in the seat, and I don't think there would have been much difference in points during the race, maybe a bit better for Pérez since he'd likely have managed the tyres better. I've always thought Stroll was underrated. He's still a very young driver and seems to be improving fast.
Forgot about Hulks DNS but the WCC fight is interesting this year thanks to Ferraris struggles. The other teams need to have consistent finishes for both drivers and it's going to highlight who is is the better imo. Stroll is stronger than Perez this year, he makes some great moves and isn't afraid to have a go. He's in a funny position where having his dad owning a team that racing elsewhere could be difficult but with Bottas being a bit of a disappointment this year I think Stroll could be a good candidate for that seat. Controversial idea maybe, but they need a young pair of hands taking risks while Lewis is the safe bet.

Totally agree. Vettel has been potato in the last few seasons. Maybe AM can re-awaken the driver of the early 2010s, but I doubt it.

Ricciardo rattled his cage before he left RB. He just seems to make silly mistakes you don't expect of a champion. You can't take his success away from, him he earned it, however it's disappointing he's not got the same competitive edge. With limited seats and so much young talent I feel drivers in his position should move on.

Associate
I agree that Stroll is underrated. Many can't see past him being a "pay driver."

I'm not saying he's a top, top talent but, I think he deserves his seat on merit.

Caporegime
He's in a funny position where having his dad owning a team that racing elsewhere could be difficult but with Bottas being a bit of a disappointment this year I think Stroll could be a good candidate for that seat. Controversial idea maybe, but they need a young pair of hands taking risks while Lewis is the safe bet.

I'd be happy to see that, but it's surely George Russell who is going to be the exciting young talent taking that seat.

Associate

Lets not pretend that it was all on Vettel. Vettel's performance has declined for sure, but Ferrari as a team have been useless for the past decade. Awful strategy calls, power struggles and politics behind the scenes that no doubt affects the whole team. Vettel went to Ferrari with the intention of following in the footsteps of Schumacher's legacy, it hasn't worked out at all and that must be a big hit to morale.

If RP/AMR put a good team around him and remove those pressures, we will see the return of his form at Red Bull I think.

Caporegime
Lets not pretend that it was all on Vettel. Vettel's performance has declined for sure, but Ferrari as a team have been useless for the past decade. Awful strategy calls, power struggles and politics behind the scenes that no doubt affects the whole team. Vettel went to Ferrari with the intention of following in the footsteps of Schumacher's legacy, it hasn't worked out at all and that must be a big hit to morale.

I agree Ferrari haven't exactly got everything right. But I think with a better driver in that seat they would have won in '17, and maybe even in '18.

Caporegime
Vettel's performance has declined for sure

Has it declined though? or did just having the fastest car on the grid and a Red Bull marketing team behind him fool everyone (including Ferrari) into believing he was much better than he is? I was saying back when he spent most of his career out in front at Red Bull that we'd find out how good he is when he's in a not so special car and actually in a race (as opposed to just hot lapping with blue flags to clear traffic). It's fair to say over the last few seasons Hamilton has totally outclassed him to the point of driving Vettel to road rage and now he's getting consistently outperformed by a rookie in only his second season.

I agree Ferrari haven't exactly got everything right. But I think with a better driver in that seat they would have won in '17, and maybe even in '18.

I'm inclined to agree with this.

Back
Top Bottom