• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

VIA are still making CPUs!

Don
Looks like VIA (with the help of their new Chinese partner Zhaoxin) are still going, and are aiming at least to produce some reasonably competitive chips

Be interesting to see what actually becomes of it, but the thought of a third player back in the CPU market, hopefully will continue the competitive resurgence we are currently going through.

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquire...h-x86-64-cpus-in-bid-to-take-on-amd-and-intel

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/CPU-Hardware-154106/News/VIa-AMD-KX-7000-schnell-Zen-1246922/
http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/113735-via-zhaoxin-zx-family-x86-processors-roadmap-shared/
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1360510

Soldato
From one of those: "In two generations, the company wants to be in sync with AMD."

...but who's going to be buying them for those 2 generations while they're behind? And how long will the generations be? :S

Not that I wouldn't like to see another manufacturer in the x86 world, choice is always a bonus for buyers :)

Soldato
From one of those: "In two generations, the company wants to be in sync with AMD."

...but who's going to be buying them for those 2 generations while they're behind? And how long will the generations be? :S

Not that I wouldn't like to see another manufacturer in the x86 world, choice is always a bonus for buyers :)

Dont underestimate the power of chinese goverment to help fund these chips to get them into literally everything in china and back them with enough cash to take the fight to AMD and Intel lol... reminds me of when BMW tried to sue a Chinese car manufacturer who made a copy of the X5, the chinese company said it looked nothing like it, BMW insisted it did, so the Chinese goverment stepped in and told BMW to do one rofl...

One of if not the richest country in the world now, doesnt actually mean they will be any good though, ive seen enough ******** videos to know that Chinese cut corners on pretty much everything :)

Soldato
Dont underestimate the power of chinese goverment to help fund these chips to get them into literally everything in china and back them with enough cash to take the fight to AMD and Intel lol... reminds me of when BMW tried to sue a Chinese car manufacturer who made a copy of the X5, the chinese company said it looked nothing like it, BMW insisted it did, so the Chinese goverment stepped in and told BMW to do one rofl...

One of if not the richest country in the world now, doesnt actually mean they will be any good though, ive seen enough ******** videos to know that Chinese cut corners on pretty much everything :)

...you do have a point... xD

I guess their govt can pretty much declare these as the CPUs (and motherboards?) of choice and put massive subsidies on them for internal sales. I have a cheapie i3 laptop that's still good enough for its one job. If it breaks, I could replace it with a 2ghz VIA and likely never notice the difference. If the price was right and the advertising had convinced me it was good. Physical build quality would need to be up to snuff though; proper aluminium chassis, no gaps. Stuffing these chips into ultra-budget plastic horrors is a tough sell.

Honestly, I hope they do get through 2 generations and become competitive with AMD and Intel. Two-vendor markets are pretty dubious, especially when one uses all kinds of dirty tricks to suppress the other :(

Soldato
...you do have a point... xD

I guess their govt can pretty much declare these as the CPUs (and motherboards?) of choice and put massive subsidies on them for internal sales. I have a cheapie i3 laptop that's still good enough for its one job. If it breaks, I could replace it with a 2ghz VIA and likely never notice the difference. If the price was right and the advertising had convinced me it was good. Physical build quality would need to be up to snuff though; proper aluminium chassis, no gaps. Stuffing these chips into ultra-budget plastic horrors is a tough sell.

Honestly, I hope they do get through 2 generations and become competitive with AMD and Intel. Two-vendor markets are pretty dubious, especially when one uses all kinds of dirty tricks to suppress the other :(

i dont want a purely chinese built Laptop, it would probably burst into flames and spray fiery acid into my eyes while going thermo nuclear on my lap and bring my house down.

Back
Top Bottom