• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

VIA are still making CPUs!

Soldato
I seem to remember wanting one of those Cyrix CPUs back some time in the 1990s. Weren't they really fast but used to get massively hot?

I remember them being the worst CPUs you could buy in the mid-late 90s. We ran one in a workshop without a heatsink for lols. Smoke came out of it :D

Soldato
Urgh. I recall the 233Mhz Cyrix MII in my mum's PC. Such a pitifully slow thing compared to my K6-2, Pentium or Celeron A in the other PCs we had around that time.

Associate
VIA seems to be targeting the Atom market with the new CPUs, hopefully they'll start pushing above their weight if they gain some more market share and revenue.

Soldato
With Chinese money they could easily be on par with AMD, wouldn't it be beautiful 3 CPU manufacturers! Samsung then come in on the GPU side of things and we'd be set.
Where do you think your electronic goods are made at the moment?
He doesn't know, I doubt he ever looks too see where it's designed and built in.

Soldato
Hasn't VIA's x86 license expired (not that it really matters unless they start selling outside China), don't recall hearing about Intel granting them a new one /shrug.

...but who's going to be buying them for those 2 generations while they're behind? And how long will the generations be? :S
Doesn't really matter with nationalised Chinese companies, they're not out to make any profit they're primary goal is to give people jobs and hopefully break even. It's like with how Gree started out making clones of Toshiba Air Con units under licence in the 90's and today they're the world's #1 manufacturer.

Associate
VIA still have that x86 license and I think their old cross-licensing agreement with Intel continues until one of the parties cancels it.
A new thing here is that VIA seems committed to more regular chip releases, they might get some needed market share in some of the more niche markets they're targeting.

Associate
Its would be nice to get a third player in the mix, do they still have an X86 licence? what about X86_64? things have moved on they will need that now too.

From HardOCP: "VIA Technologies has a FTC enforced cross-licensing deal with Intel through 2018, but it is unclear what happens after that time".

For all the talk of Cyrix, the VIA x86 chips are not descendants of Cyrix, but Centaur.

Back
Top Bottom