Vidahost price has more than doubled - Time to move?

Soldato
All depends on your level of skill,

On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being Hello World, and 10 being a VCP, I'd put it around a 3.
Thanks for the info, I have just checked and my package doesnt expire till july next year so I will stay as I am for now and reevaluate when that time comes.

Associate
I moved a few sites over to Krystal in May

Speed and uptime has been excellent, support good but the documentation is rubbish (improving it to reflect the fact they now use Litespeed would obviate the need for some support tickets)

I have also used Mechanic Web (in the EU datacentre) and that has been very positive as well

Commissario
Just the starter plan, £18 (inc VAT) paid twice a year which includes domain. Only 2gb but I don't need much storage.

Soldato
Was on 2 sets of legacy cPanel medium. First invoice in 2012 was £120, second invoice in 2015 was £140, next invoice due 2018 is for £255.

Not seeing anything extra for my money so I'm combining a few accounts, updating some websites and getting a Krystal VPS for £840

(all prices based on 3 years)

Man of Honour
Was on 2 sets of legacy cPanel medium. First invoice in 2012 was £120, second invoice in 2015 was £140, next invoice due 2018 is for £255.

Not seeing anything extra for my money so I'm combining a few accounts, updating some websites and getting a Krystal VPS for £840

(all prices based on 3 years)
The Medium was always £59/yr plus VAT so I’m gonna guess the first invoice had a signup discount code eg a referral code, the second was the usual 2*59 plus higher 20% vat, and the third was affected by the ending of the 3for2 and the recent 20% price hike. Which does add up to quite a jump....

Commissario
OP
I'm technically on a Starter Plan which will be increasing from £29 biennially to £69.60 but I do have more than a Starter Plan is supposed to have. I use a minimum of 20Gb out of my allowed 25gb of bandwidth a month and that's been slowly growing over the years so I suppose at some point they may ask me to increase my package.

I've been with them since July 2009 when I was using just 20-30Mb/month!

Man of Honour
I'm technically on a Starter Plan which will be increasing from £29 biennially to £69.60 but I do have more than a Starter Plan is supposed to have. I use a minimum of 20Gb out of my allowed 25gb of bandwidth a month and that's been slowly growing over the years so I suppose at some point they may ask me to increase my package.

I've been with them since July 2009 when I was using just 20-30Mb/month!
Fairly sure I remember setting up your account. I certainly remember your name and domain(s) :)

Commissario
OP
Yup, you did. That's how I got more than I was supposed to have ;)

I suppose that even the renewal price is decent for what I've actually got. It's just irksome that it's going to more than double.

Soldato
The Medium was always £59/yr plus VAT so I’m gonna guess the first invoice had a signup discount code eg a referral code, the second was the usual 2*59 plus higher 20% vat, and the third was affected by the ending of the 3for2 and the recent 20% price hike. Which does add up to quite a jump....

I believe there was a code on here when I first signed up and the VAT did change, but the 33% off for paying in advance removed and 20% hike to me is a bit too much for the package. I do like this package I am on now with this server, but twice I had set up additional hosting with Vidahost and both times the service was worse. Luckily I still have 6 months until my next invoice so it's given me enough time to evaluate my sites and plan ahead, but if I'd only had 1-2 months notice it could have been an issue.

Looking at the packages now if I pay in advance for a year I get 2 months free, or if I pay for 2 years I get 4 months free... which is the same price (2 years at 2 months each), trying to make it look like I am saving more but there's no saving at all between the two.

Commissario
OP
Their customer service used to be superb but it's utter rubbish now. I logged a simple ticket at 10:20 this morning to add a new domain which I've just bought onto my cpanel. This would have been dealt with in minutes before but I've not even had a response yet.

Soldato
In comparison I raised a ticket on Krystal today, set it as lowest priority as it was about setting up SSL on my site using cPanel and not urgent as I was going to work on it next week, had a response within an hour which showed an issue I hadn't even considered.

Back
Top Bottom