Video editing software for technical training

Man of Honour
Hi all, I am doing some technical videos based mainly around VMware. Most of the content in the video will be logged into the vSphere Client or doing commands on command line.

I want to be able to add graphics to the video, such as highlighting certain checkboxes etc. I also want to be able to speed up and slow down certain sections.

I have access to Windows 10 and a Mac, at the start I'll be doing it on Windows but there may be a time when I need to do it on the move so I'd be using my MacBook.

I'm looking for ease of use as I really have never done any editing before and something that preferably works (and licenses) across both platforms. I don't mind paying a fixed fee, up to say £100 or so but if something can do it for free then great.

Destination for the videos will be YouTube and D.Tube.

Associate
Yeah, you can get some crappy free software or some unknown costly one. OR you can get something that is worth investing your time into... yes it may be harder to learn but it will pay off in the long run.

I personally use sony vegas and work on both windows and mac, I wish I started and used adobe prem now as I could also work on my mac.

Associate
I'm not 21 anymore? I'm happy to pay for the right software however I will not spend £20 a month on something that is essentially a hobby.
Don't spend £20 a month then :p

If you don't want to use premier then you don't have to. imo any other is wasting your time. like I said I wish I never started with sony vegas and started with premier. Being good at premier will land you a job working from home if you ever wanted to do something like that, let's say became disabled and couldn't walk anymore, its a good skill to have, but whatever enjoy your software you will barely find any guides for that will probably one day outdate your OS.

Associate
I'm probably going on a bit of a limb here, but someone producing technical guides / training videos on VMWare and command-line tools is probably neck deep in agile infrastructure deployments and has no plans to become a Adobe Premier artistic type wielding a macbook and a jaunty beret! [I know ChrisD asked for something that works on Mac, so that already negates part of my theory.. but who cares]

And if they are neck deep in that industry, working from home is zero difference to working in an office given the skillsets and tools involved.

Man of Honour
OP
Indeed, this is for simple highlights in a video pointing to check boxes etc, some words/arrows and speed up of parts. If I could cut the audio out and overlay that would be beneficial as I've played back some of my content and I can get a bit rabbit holed.

Associate
I'd still recommend screencast-o-matic for that. Its free until you go beyond some video lengths or if you want to get them to host your videos etc.

Saying that even Powerpoint has a record functionality for that kinda thing now.

Man of Honour
OP
I'd still recommend screencast-o-matic for that. Its free until you go beyond some video lengths or if you want to get them to host your videos etc.

Saying that even Powerpoint has a record functionality for that kinda thing now.
Yeah I'm going to give it a go at some point and see what it's like. I don't want to invest in for example Windows Photos as I may be away from home and want to do it on my MacBook hence wanting something multi-platform which your recommendation does.

Associate
Id go with screencast-o-matic also.

I used it for QA testing for many years. Not much of a learning curve to be honest, its fairly straight forward application.

Associate
Id go with screencast-o-matic also.

I used it for QA testing for many years. Not much of a learning curve to be honest, its fairly straight forward application.

Just had a quick look at screencast-o-matic, will need to add that to my bookmarks, for $18 a year it looks pretty decent and being cross platform is an added bonus, they also have some tutorials on their site.

Man of Honour
OP
I've given screencast-o-matic a try and I like it, thanks for the suggestions. In fact I liked it so much and subscribed for 3 years for €36.

Man of Honour
I appreciate you've already chosen. But some free options are OBS (Open Broadcast Software) for screen capture/broadcasting and either KDENLive or Davince Resolve for editing.

Back
Top Bottom