Video on NZXT H1 fire hazard

Soldato
A few pics of when I removed the original screws. You can see the thread has been cut into the PCB and the pile of PCB dust left behind.

I had a good look at the PCB and couldn't see any bare metal though

5ezFQuZ.jpg

ONQqb6x.jpg

4OdQvla.jpg

ojoLHf7.jpg

Soldato
Well NZXT have finally done what they should have done in the first instance. They are replacing all the PCI-E risers.

https://blog.nzxt.com/a-message-from-our-ceo-johnny-regarding-the-h1-safety-issue/

Shame it took the best part of a year and Gamers Nexus publicly humiliating them to the point where it's had to irreversibly damage their business. Let's see if it takes NZXT months to get the replacements out to customers.

Of course, that riser PCB breaks so many good design practices, it should never have been put out to customers like that in the first place.

Last edited:
Soldato
Shame it took the best part of a year and Gamers Nexus publicly humiliating them to the point where it's had to irreversibly damaged their business. Let's see if it takes NZXT months to get the replacements out to customers.

Of course, that riser PCB breaks so many good design practices, it should never have been put out to customers like that in the first place.

Agreed! It would be interesting to see if other PCI-E risers available to buy have similar defects or if it was NZXT specific.

Associate
You can't expect them to replace PCIe 3 with PCIe 4 especially considering PCIe 4 risers have greater challenges and PCIe 3 is cheaper and easier to get out into consumers hands. Much better that these risers are replaced quickly as they are an actual fire hazard.

Soldato
You can't expect them to replace PCIe 3 with PCIe 4 especially considering PCIe 4 risers have greater challenges and PCIe 3 is cheaper and easier to get out into consumers hands. Much better that these risers are replaced quickly as they are an actual fire hazard.

I half expected that they would be already working on a PCIe4 variant for the v2 of the H1, or as an upgrade part to buy.

It could have worked out easier/cheaper/quicker to rush that through than to design and manufacture another cable.

Associate
I half expected that they would be already working on a PCIe4 variant for the v2 of the H1, or as an upgrade part to buy.

It could have worked out easier/cheaper/quicker to rush that through than to design and manufacture another cable.

I doubt they're designing or manufacturing it. They will be contracting with a Chinese manufacturing company.

Soldato
I came in here to see if anyone had received their new riser cable yet. I missed Steve's latest video on it, seems NZXT don't care!

Has anyone received a cable yet? I might have to shoot them an email

Back
Top Bottom