Vince Cable, David Cameron and Rupert Murdoch

daz

daz

Soldato
Its called democracy, get over it.

What do you expect to happen, kill all big business and every super rich persons ability to generate huge amounts of cash, yippee, they get bored with the UK and seek investment elsewhere, taking thousand of jobs, billions in tax and any new business and expansion elsewhere in the world......... that will certainly make life better for everyone in the uk won't it?

Why go off on a completely unrelated rant regarding taxation and political parties?

The issue with the News Corp takeover of BSkyB is that of media plurality.

Soldato
They'd have passed it on Labour votes.

Are you kidding? It was a 'majority' of 21 to begin with, 11 votes would have won it. How many Labour MPs voted for anyway? And without the promise of a taste of power i doubt more than maybe a couple of Lib Dem MPs would have voted for the rise.

Please, a conservative minority would have failed before it had even started, and they know that.

Permabanned
They'd have passed it on Labour votes.

Doubt it, as the circumstances around it would be rather different in parliament and with the whips.

If the lib dems stuck to their moral pledge, it would be a split vote, or a defeat by one vote.

I'm not really up for historians fallacy but it could have panned out quite differently.

Either which way, if your assertions are correct, why do we not see a conservative minority government.

Why do they not have the accumen to do it themselves?

Permabanned
Is he not a respected figure in the City for his financial sense ?

Alledged.

Again, he's cocked it up so many times in opposition I think its perverse the 'City', the 'press' and people en masse think he's some sort of Adam Smith mark II.

He's not, he's a bit of a div with a tendancy to lie along party lines like the rest of them... or just simply gets it wrong.

Like misleading parliament with purposefully innacurate figures?

Is that what the city looks too for its guidance?

I really wish we wouldn't bother.

Wrap up the UK, cause it's a bit of a joke really.

:)

Man of Honour
Why is the best that those with fullblown Murdochphobia limited to random conspiracy theories with no evidential basis?

I'm no fan of Murdoch, but some of the suggestions going around about Vince Cable's muppetry in a sting operation by one of Murdoch's competitors beggar belief...

Permabanned
Why is the best that those with fullblown Murdochphobia limited to random conspiracy theories with no evidential basis?

I'm no fan of Murdoch, but some of the suggestions going around about Vince Cable's muppetry in a sting operation by one of Murdoch's competitors beggar belief...

Where did I miss that one??

(First sentence does not compute btw.)

daz

daz

Soldato

You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to think that a concentration of power within the media might not be good for the public interest though.

Permabanned

Not read that particular article, no. Read it elsewhere in print though.

Dolph said:
"some of the suggestions going around about Vince Cable's muppetry in a sting operation by one of Murdoch's competitors beggar belief..."

Interested me, but I seem to have misread what you said.

So never mind! :)

But yes, muppet does come to mind.

You'd think politicians would just shut up, or learn to be very suspicious of those they come across. Not a great place to be, but media intrusion/in has went on long enough I think.

You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to think that a concentration of power within the media might not be good for the public interest though.

Agreed.

If it were a Union boss or something akin who owned most of the UK's press, I suspect Dolph and others would be arguing different lines.

Of course tories aren't going to see a problem with a tory mogal in charge of swathes of the countries press and tv.

If the shoe was on the other foot however...

Soldato
Are you kidding? It was a 'majority' of 21 to begin with, 11 votes would have won it. How many Labour MPs voted for anyway? And without the promise of a taste of power i doubt more than maybe a couple of Lib Dem MPs would have voted for the rise.

Please, a conservative minority would have failed before it had even started, and they know that.

Doubt it, as the circumstances around it would be rather different in parliament and with the whips.

Labour would probably have realised the political cost of voting against their own review was not worth 'fighting for the students'. In this case, though, it was a good way to tempt the Lib Dems and give the coalition a battering.

daz

daz

Soldato
So what if this was a wikileaks story, would we then have a Cable on a Cable?

1293030470.jpg

Man of Honour

Absolutely. Like I said, I'm no Murdoch fan.

Not read that particular article, no. Read it elsewhere in print though.

Interested me, but I seem to have misread what you said.

So never mind! :)

Read the comments over at the Guardian about it, it's amazing how irrational some people can be.

But yes, muppet does come to mind.

You'd think politicians would just shut up, or learn to be very suspicious of those they come across. Not a great place to be, but media intrusion/in has went on long enough I think.

Absolutely. The news that some of the lib dems have concerns about some of the coalition policies isn't really news, even within parties views are rarely completely homogeneous, so quite why people expect the views between two parties in coalition to be identical I have no idea.

Agreed.

If it were a Union boss or something akin who owned most of the UK's press, I suspect Dolph and others would be arguing different lines.

Of course tories aren't going to see a problem with a tory mogal in charge of swathes of the countries press and tv.

If the shoe was on the other foot however...

Where have I supported Murdoch in any of this?

Permabanned
Where have I supported Murdoch in any of this?

"Why is the best that those with fullblown Murdochphobia limited to random conspiracy theories with no evidential basis?"

Having not seen these conspiracies, I was leading myself to believe you were leaning towards a 'he's a good guy, nothing here to see' sort of line; ignoring the obvious concerns over the large monopoly he is aquiring and undue influence on a 'democratic' government, or trying to undermine these issues as conspiracies.

Perhaps too much thought into one comment, if that isn't your stance fine I apologise.

Man of Honour
Having not seen these conspiracies, I was leading myself to believe you were leaning towards a 'he's a good guy, nothing here to see' sort of line; ignoring the obvious concerns over the large monopoly he is aquiring and undue influence on a 'democratic' government, or trying to undermine these issues as conspiracies.

Perhaps too much thought into one comment, if that isn't your stance fine I apologise.

It's not, I don't like the way Murdoch is slowly monopolising the media, although I'm unsure what steps should be taken to stop it, given that it's being done through simply selling more papers/tv packages than anyone else...

The problem is that some people are so rabidly anti-murdoch they come out with such drivel that any valid criticisms of the murdoch empire are lost in the shuffle...

Soldato
Conservative= work WITH business, decrease tax so its worthwhile creating more jobs, more jobs and more profit and more expansion equals billions MORE tax being pumped into the UK, more jobs, more money, less debt, woe is you who hate the rich man doing well.

Since when have the torys given us more jobs.:eek:

Associate
Sympathy with politicians is in short supply so perhaps the easiest way to think about this is to ask yourself this: how would you feel if that chat about a relative, a workmate or a boss at the water cooler, in the canteen or at the pub was secretly taped, transcribed and distributed in order to expose your hypocrisy?

i do love reading these threads on ocuk. only chance i get to hear a good discussion about these things

from the clip it sounds like some cute girl has charmed vince into talking about how big he is and the powers he has to stop someone as big as murdoch etc. bit foolish of him but can't blame him as i'd probably done the same

Back
Top Bottom