Vince's Ebay Repair Thread - (Console Repairs & Mods)

Associate
I asked that and they said they were using 6 brand new batteries. So I put 6 batteries in (1.25v rechargeable) and it runs fine on them so I hooked up my bench supply and started dropping voltage and it runs fine right down to like 5.3v ish... after that it starts acting up and their exact symptoms were showing at like 4.8v so I have to assume that the brand new batteries that they have are junk.
Meh if they ponied up for a modded GG and use cheap batteries then I'll just take it off them then as they clearly don't appreciate it :p jk

I used to be terrible for that when I got a Game Gear back in the day, I'd use cheap cheap batteries and moan that it doesn't last 10 mins lol

Last edited:
Associate
I asked that and they said they were using 6 brand new batteries. So I put 6 batteries in (1.25v rechargeable) and it runs fine on them so I hooked up my bench supply and started dropping voltage and it runs fine right down to like 5.3v ish... after that it starts acting up and their exact symptoms were showing at like 4.8v so I have to assume that the brand new batteries that they have are junk.
I opened a brand new pack of Duracell AAA batteries the other day, that my mother had bought from an Amazon marketplace seller. They had years on the expiry date, and I just needed one to replace the dead AAA in her clock. After trying two different brand new batteries in the clock I found it still was only shaking the minute hand around and I assumed the mechanism must be broken. I dug around in the cupboard and finally found a different Duracell that had a shorter expiry date but had been leftover from another pack. That one worked fine.

Maybe your buyer is using dodgy amazon marketplace batteries?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I opened a brand new pack of Duracell AAA batteries the other day, that my mother had bought from an Amazon marketplace seller. They had years on the expiry date, and I just needed one to replace the dead AAA in her clock. After trying two different brand new batteries in the clock I found it still was only shaking the minute hand around and I assumed the mechanism must be broken. I dug around in the cupboard and finally found a different Duracell that had a shorter expiry date but had been leftover from another pack. That one worked fine.

Maybe your buyer is using dodgy amazon marketplace batteries?

Something certainly not right - guess we just find a new person now... Ive been testing for 4 days and cant re-create under normal conditions so we sell to somebody else :)

Man of Honour
OP
Making me think that I should buy loads of random stuff from the auction and just send them from different places with no details ;)

HaHa you would be surprised the amount of stuff that turns up here and I have no idea who sent it :) - I normally find out pretty quickly but it does make it fun!

Man of Honour
OP
Question:
I've got a launch switch with a dodgy fan, which I'd rather sort out before the whole thing cooks itself.

I've done plenty of laptops in the past, but never a tablet / phone (which is basically what the switch is).
How do-able is this really for someone like me? Online guide doesn't look too bad, but I've equally had trouble with some awfully designed laptops and sheer lack of space.....

Dude i missed this... easy... I can even throw a fan and anything you need your way free of charge. If its more than just a fan replacement its more challenging but normally just swapping the fan is enough. The switch is proper easy to strip down. (as long as you dont go near the lcd fpc)... why so many people absolutely decimate them is beyond me but they do.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't need freebies, thanks though :)

I'm always just wary of videos and guides stating just how easy it is (never take apart a Dyson for example...) just before it all goes pear shaped.

Man of Honour
OP
Don't need freebies, thanks though :)

I'm always just wary of videos and guides stating just how easy it is (never take apart a Dyson for example...) just before it all goes pear shaped.

Yea there isnt a whole load to go wrong, just use the right drivers and you will be golden. Only a absolute animal can fail getting into a switch. On the plus side if you do absolutely decimate it you know a man that is pretty handy with them :cry:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Ah yes I didn't send any info with it..

I did test it again after putting aircooler back on, it powers on but no display.

Been testing your card and found it has a rail that doesnt come up. So both 12v rails come up and we have 12v input at both pcie and the two 12v plugs but on boot vcore doesnt enable so we likely have a bad fet somewhere as we have a dead short on the output of vcore. I started pulling coils on the shorted line to see if we can find what fet is bad!

We know vcore isn't coming up because PEX never enables.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Well still not found what's causing it.. short is still core side of the power stage.

I'll just remove all the inductors one at a time and see if we can isolate it. - well this isnt fun :p i just tested it against a known working card and its 100% not getting any vcore voltage at all. But where is the issue?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I think I have found the issue :D problem is I don't know how much damage might be further down the line....

So I removed the power stage the other side of the gpu after putting the other side back together and I tested all the outputs of the fets... they all look fine... I did however notice that some of the caps were really not looking great and sitting proud of the board if you look at the power stage this side...

vs the other side...

Look at this cap...this is reading OL...

At least all of these ones need replacing...

These 3 are massively out of spec...

I dunno... think ill replace all of these and see if it boots.. one of them is damaged at least for sure lots of them look bulged so I guess it could just be these caps...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I bought a load of caps... lets see if its one of these I guess.

Think we just leave it here for now, but put it back together until some parts come in. I'm not massively hopeful for it but who knows.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
@Finners - Spent another hour with this beast and a year later I still can't fix it :( all its rails are present but it just won't fire up. I think it's time I send it home.

I hope this is your one and my bits of paper haven't got mixed up at least.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom