Vince's Ebay Repair Thread - (Console Repairs & Mods)

Soldato
Was watching BBC Breakfast the other day and thought of you when an article came on…I think it was about 8:55am they had a guy on with a lot of retro gaming gear. One of the games alone was worth £22k apparently :eek:

Associate
I've been meaning to take pics of some of my Gameboy DMG mods but keep forgetting about it! However I have found these old pics on my phone.
These were taken back in 2014 iirc, the first one has a biverted pink backlit screen and was my go to DMG until I did an IPS screen mod a year or so back.
The second was one I made for my brother, just a standard light blue backlight mod, case buttons etc.

I have only just noticed how dirty the lens on the top one is! I'm surprised I took the photo with it looking like that lol

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I've been meaning to take pics of some of my Gameboy DMG mods but keep forgetting about it! However I have found these old pics on my phone.
These were taken back in 2014 iirc, the first one has a biverted pink backlit screen and was my go to DMG until I did an IPS screen mod a year or so back.
The second was one I made for my brother, just a standard light blue backlight mod, case buttons etc.

I have only just noticed how dirty the lens on the top one is! I'm surprised I took the photo with it looking like that lol

Nice I do love a clear shell :) done a few biverts myself not a bad result given how bad these screens really are!

Man of Honour
OP
Haven't had huge amounts of time on my hands for updates but I've been looking at things and slowly working my way through the backlog, I haven't been taking any more in as work has been punishing these last few weeks.... We look something like this... I'm so behind I had to prioritise the customer send in's ahead of the ocuk stuff I have currently - Sorry!

Things that are done -

Mega CD repair - Got loads of pics which I will post at some point... lots of trace repair
MD MK1 triple bypass - again plenty of pics of the install to share
GB Flash Cart Unbrick
Amiga cd32 & Pads full restoration - Have 3 or 4 hours of footage on this one to sort out. - I think I might have to get one of these for myself... I loved working on it!
@Kyle009 - DSi is done.

Things that are getting to the top of the queue or revisit as parts are here:

@Webzta - 3080 - parts are here so ill see what we can do over the coming days.
@Martini1991 - Parts are here! we shall see if by some miracle we can make this thing work.
@Journey - still no damn stencil... ordered 2 and still nothing... also need to do some revisiting the cards in general just to remember where I am.
MK1 Master system that's in from the US is still here and I'm just waiting on some FM sound mods (to make it like the original JP unit) - Its fully up and running at least.

Other things I have on the cards:

5 switch lites sent in by a customer that regularly sends me switches... no rush on these so they sit at the back of the queue.
6 consoles from another customer that need work 2 DMG's, 2 PSP's, 1x Vita, 1x PSP GO. - some of these are full reshells etc so parts are ordered.

Stuff for me:

My Turbo Express 16 handheld needs some love... I have had it almost a year now (bought it faulty) and its sat at the back of the queue for too long.
Parts have turned up for a Game Gear build... I don't have a customer for it but I fancied building a GG as I haven't for a while.
I have a few car keys here that need work (one for a immobiliser on a really old rover where I had to source some parts from Latvia of all places) . I did an OCUK members car key some time back and now I see them fairly regularly.
Picked up a mk1 megadrive (looks like a va2/3 from the ports) for a fiver at the bootsale so will see if that works at some point.

I am sure there is more but thats a little update on where we are at :)

Associate
Haven't had huge amounts of time on my hands for updates but I've been looking at things and slowly working my way through the backlog, I haven't been taking any more in as work has been punishing these last few weeks.... We look something like this... I'm so behind I had to prioritise the customer send in's ahead of the ocuk stuff I have currently - Sorry!

Things that are done -

Mega CD repair - Got loads of pics which I will post at some point... lots of trace repair
MD MK1 triple bypass - again plenty of pics of the install to share
GB Flash Cart Unbrick
Amiga cd32 & Pads full restoration - Have 3 or 4 hours of footage on this one to sort out. - I think I might have to get one of these for myself... I loved working on it!
@Kyle009 - DSi is done.

Things that are getting to the top of the queue or revisit as parts are here:

@Webzta - 3080 - parts are here so ill see what we can do over the coming days.
@Martini1991 - Parts are here! we shall see if by some miracle we can make this thing work.
@Journey - still no damn stencil... ordered 2 and still nothing... also need to do some revisiting the cards in general just to remember where I am.
MK1 Master system that's in from the US is still here and I'm just waiting on some FM sound mods (to make it like the original JP unit) - Its fully up and running at least.

Other things I have on the cards:

5 switch lites sent in by a customer that regularly sends me switches... no rush on these so they sit at the back of the queue.
6 consoles from another customer that need work 2 DMG's, 2 PSP's, 1x Vita, 1x PSP GO. - some of these are full reshells etc so parts are ordered.

Stuff for me:

My Turbo Express 16 handheld needs some love... I have had it almost a year now (bought it faulty) and its sat at the back of the queue for too long.
Parts have turned up for a Game Gear build... I don't have a customer for it but I fancied building a GG as I haven't for a while.
I have a few car keys here that need work (one for a immobiliser on a really old rover where I had to source some parts from Latvia of all places) . I did an OCUK members car key some time back and now I see them fairly regularly.
Picked up a mk1 megadrive (looks like a va2/3 from the ports) for a fiver at the bootsale so will see if that works at some point.

I am sure there is more but thats a little update on where we are at :)

Nice thanks for the update mate

Man of Honour
OP
Hope my DSi did not add to your stress mate, was not expecting it to be turned around at any pace at all :)

Consoles are really where I am stronger - Things like GPU's, Laptops etc I am not so strong but I am learning... When I get to the "im not sure area" I tend to pick up a console for a while as to me they are easier.

Your console took me probably 15 mins to diagnose and fix :D

Man of Honour
OP
Sounds like you're keeping yourself busy :D

Always buddy, always! I built a custom GG in my lunch break today just because I dont really need to think when doing them :cry: So that's one more thing on the done list!

Incase you forgot what one looks like..

Last edited:
Associate
As always I love the GG mods, definitely one I need to do at some point.
That Sega 4 in 1 pack brings back a lot of memories for me, the penalty shoot out game was a bit throwaway but the other 3 titles were great!

Man of Honour
OP
That Sega 4 in 1 pack brings back a lot of memories for me, the penalty shoot out game was a bit throwaway but the other 3 titles were great!

Cant recommend the mod board I use enough to be honest... ive used them all - the cheap alix ones the bennvenn, the R6 v1 and v2 and I always go back to this one every single time... It's a great quality board at a very fair price and really thats what you want. Ive also sold hundreds of GG's with this mod board in and as yet have never had a return or issue.

Last edited:
Yo @Vince!

Per chance have you got a line on 2DS XL era plastics? My son "dropped" (read: rage snapped) the hinge on his US import Hylian Shield 2DS LL/XL earlier.

14ElNSe.jpeg

It wouldn't turn on, just doing the blue light then off thing so I suspect it needs the memory module reflowing again. I've fixed it once, but his rage bit before I could sort it. Now I need to replace the plastic, screen/ribbon cable. Bloody hate doing those as they're fiddly as!

Man of Honour
OP
Yo @Vince!

Per chance have you got a line on 2DS XL era plastics? My son "dropped" (read: rage snapped) the hinge on his US import Hylian Shield 2DS LL/XL earlier.

14ElNSe.jpeg

It wouldn't turn on, just doing the blue light then off thing so I suspect it needs the memory module reflowing again. I've fixed it once, but his rage bit before I could sort it. Now I need to replace the plastic, screen/ribbon cable. Bloody hate doing those as they're fiddly as!

Most likely ripped the top screen ribbon... these wont turn on unless both screens are connected, you see that hinge support, the inside of that is sharp and with that much force would have cut through the top screen ribbon... These are a nightmare to replace top screens on... there is a "way" to pop the ribbon through that hinge...

you might end up buying a full case replacement on this one... Now on the hunt for a original 2ds xl shell but everything I am finding is "new" 2ds... minefield out there finding the correct shells.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP

The GG library is getting out of hand over here... I really need some better way of storing the carts... I think I have about 60 titles for it now aside from my flash cart :cry: - I should really try and play some of these things

Most likely ripped the top screen ribbon... these wont turn on unless both screens are connected, you see that hinge support, the inside of that is sharp and with that much force would have cut through the top screen ribbon... These are a nightmare to replace top screens on... there is a "way" to pop the ribbon through that hinge...

you might end up buying a full case replacement on this one... Now on the hunt for a original 2ds xl shell but everything I am finding is "new" 2ds... minefield out there finding the correct shells.

Oh the top screen cable is toast, for sure. I've done one before, but it's a stressful job. Think I made a cable jig out out a drinking straw or something.

If I can't fix the board it'll probably end up as e waste, which is a real shame as these are sought after models. ($800 boxed and not knackered!)

Man of Honour
OP
Oh the top screen cable is toast, for sure. I've done one before, but it's a stressful job. Think I made a cable jig out out a drinking straw or something.

If I can't fix the board it'll probably end up as e waste, which is a real shame as these are sought after models. ($800 boxed and not knackered!)

I have what i think is a similar machine - I think mine is a pokemon Y 3ds though.

Man of Honour
OP
They're awesome little devices, especially once... unlocked.

I've calmed down a bit now, so I'm going to attempt a repair. Just need to source that top hinge bezel, tbh the hinges could do with replacing too. They're a bit floppy.

I dont think I have ever even played on mine besides from some quick testing - I really should spend more time with the systems... With the hinge, normally they go floppy because the plastic cracks, if i remember rightly there is a little "thing" that goes the other side of that metal ring that has a hard clip thing... yea I know terrible explanation but its that that gives the stiffness and the click into place that the hinge does...

I had a good look around last night and your difficulty might be finding replacement shell parts.. I couldn't really find anything for the OG 2ds system.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom