Vinyl lovers , what are you spinning ?

Soldato
A bit of coloured vinyl for a change :)
LP12-Blue.jpg

Sorry deck needs a bit of a clean, will be packed away soon as we are moving house.

Associate
That’s a find soundgarden 75p ? ...Bought their record store day release ‘singles’ double vinyl , CC was a truly exceptional talent.

Associate
OP
they want 75p for the plastic sleeve! , the album was £9.99 , still a bargain i think

ps i feel honored you chose my post to reply to after 8 years ! or have you been in prison :D

Soldato
Can I ask, why do people like vinyl so much?

There are all sorts of reasons to both like and dislike Vinyl.
One of the first things to accept is that all music can be badly recorded and badly Mastered, be it it in the Digital or Analouge domain. A lot of vinyl from the 60's, 70's and 80's was very badly recorded and the pressing to vinyl was also done badly. It didn't change when we all started buying CD's, it was still as badly done, and in fact still is. In the early 1970's when i got my first record deck, it was cheap and was paired with a cheap Amp and cheap speakers............................much like teenagers would do today, only replace cheap record deck with cheap CD player.

Change those cheap HI FI parts for good parts though and things sound a lot different, they did then and they still do now.
The big thing with Vinyl though (as long as it was a good recording in the first place), play it on modern medium to high end gear and you can tell straight away how much better it sounds to it's CD counterpart. The sound stage is always much much wider, deeper and higher. Bass is much tighter and deeper and most importantly, you can feel the ambiance of a recording that you simply don't get with CD.
All that said, a well recorded CD played on a medium to high end system sounds fantastic as well (i know because my system is medium to high end). But in no way does a CD give you the true feeling you are listening to the band/artist in front of you in the same way that vinyl does.

The odd thing about the resurrection of vinyl though, is that most peeps (i don't mean any peeps in this thread) seem to still be using the cheapest way to play vinyl they can find. No point at all in doing that, get the best you can afford to do vinyl or any medium justice.

Soldato

If I downloaded a recording that was say flac vinyl, would it sound exactly the same without a vinyl player?.... Just curious how important the actual turntable is.

No it wouldn't, because its still a digital conversion.

I'll give you an example that a lot of peeps on here would have heard at some time or another. Dark Side Of The Moon (Pink Floyd) was recorded on analogue tape (2 inch masters), the original album sounds fantastic on my record deck and system. A couple of years ago i bought the 180gram re-release also on vinyl. It sounds absolute complete rubbish compared to the original. The reason ?................................because it was actually mastered from the digital re-master that the record company did in the 1980's and not the original analogue master tapes.
In fact, most, if not all of the new vinyl releases we are seeing now are from digital conversions and not the original analogue tapes.

Associate
Currently in the market for a new turntable. My old Sony one finally gave up, a nice opportunity to upgrade. So what I was playing and will be when a new turntable is acquired:

kyxVV8m.jpg

Associate
OP
Currently in the market for a new turntable. My old Sony one finally gave up, a nice opportunity to upgrade. So what I was playing and will be when a new turntable is acquired:

kyxVV8m.jpg
i must have four or five copies of this album now lol

Back
Top Bottom